puerta plata hotels no resorts

G.I.

Nov 25, 2002
Looking for a hotel in POP that is desent and not a resort DR few time and dont like gringo resorts any suggesting...?:cool:

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Castillo Ambar

G.I., I stayed in the Castillo Ambar last month. It is across the street from the Brugal factory in Puerto Plata. It was nice, clean, everyone was super nice. They have a small bar. It's actually an aparta-hotel. The best thing was that it was like $20 US a night to stay there. No one bothers you.
I'm including the hotels information for you.
Minni

ps (pat referred me to this place and this was the email I received from him)

The Hotel Email is Castillodelambar@hotmail.com or you can email the manager directly at Moonandchocolate@hotmail.com her name is Jocanda and she speaks english just tell her Pat Callahan from NY recommended you and she will give you a price and reserve your rooms all of which are suites with great A/C and cable TV phone numbers 809-261-4803 fax 809-261-2315.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You could also check out the Puerto Plata Beach Resort apartments a bit nearer the beach (on the Malecon in fact). It has a/c in all rooms, a lounge/dining & kitchen area & a large swimming pool with plenty of garden area around. There is also a security guard on the gate to keep out anyone you want to KEEP out!!
Town centre is a 5 minute motoconcho ride (RD $10) away or a 25 minute walk along the seafront road! If you decide to get taxis, ask the reception to organise you a Tecni-Taxi - fair prices rather than tourist prices!!! Tel. (809) 586 4243. Price - US $18 per night (per room, not per person!!)

Porto Fino is also fairly close smaller rooms & swimming pool but has restaurant/bar on site, there is also ApartHotel Lomar which has decent rooms at US $16 per night!! - Grahame.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
BushBaby said:

Porto Fino is also fairly close smaller rooms & swimming pool but has restaurant/bar on site, there is also ApartHotel Lomar which has decent rooms at US $16 per night!! - Grahame.

Over time I have spent quite a few nights in the ApartHotel Lomar, and I have only positive things to say about it. Clean, with spacious rooms, A/C in bedroom etc. Friendly staff, and very reasonable rates as BushBaby points out. On the Malecon, with a nice ocean view (and ocean breeze) too.