Puerto Plata Occidental Grand Flamenco

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneMex

Nov 30, 2003
Has anyone stayed at or visited this resort? Recently?

If so, could I get some reviews or suggestions or something...

It's either this resort or Riu Merenge.

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
We vacationed there January 2003, and had a great time! The resort is situated in the Playa Dorada resort complex. It?s an approximate a 15 minute drive to Puerto Plata and a 25 minute drive to Sosua.

The standard hotel rooms are a little dated but clean. The hotel grounds and gardens are kept clean and manicured. We thought the food was very good for an all-inclusive. There were plenty of restaurants to choose from. The three a la carta restaurants requires reservations a few days in advance. I believe you are allowed one booking per week for each of the three a la carta restaurants. The buffet style restaurants are accessible daily.

There are plenty of bars to quench your thirst. The service is good, the drinks plentiful and tasty. The evening entertainment was great! The house band played nightly, and every night had a different theme. The seating was plentiful with full view of the stage.

The beach area is just a short distance away. Once there, you will find a nice buffet and bar with plenty of seating. The beach was never crowded when we were there, and there seem to be plenty of lounge chairs.

The hotel staff was friendly, helpful and worked hard at maintaining the facility. I wouldn?t say the standard rooms were a 4 star +, but rather a 3 star. However I would say the rest of the facility and food would be a 4 star. If you have any other questions feel free to post them.

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
I don?t see any problem there. I think your teenager would have a great time.

OneMex

Nov 30, 2003
Were there many teenagers when you visited?

The hotel is on request so I suppose it's gonna be quite full, but... where there many guests when you visited?

I also heard about the residents of DR iteself come for the weekends to use the pool, is this true?

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
Hi Onemex,
When we were there I was told the hotel occupancy was at approximately 60%. There was quite a mix of guests representing all ages. I know there were teenagers there, but percentage wise I couldn?t even give you a close guess.

If the locals were using the pool they blended in with every other guest. It wasn?t something I noticed.

OneMex

Nov 30, 2003
Thanks for your help Boh, but nevertheless we've decided on the Riu Mambo Resort... any expierience with that?

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
We?ve never stayed at Riu Mambo, so I can?t help you there. I do know Riu resorts do have a good reputation. Have a great vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies.