Do we pay taxes on bringing gifts into DR?

Ronaldo

Nov 6, 2003
Hey Everyone!

I will be coming to DR for christmas and I will be bringing a few gifts for some friends; nothing major...total cost of gifts will be around $200 US. (Microwave and some cloths)

Will I be charged money to bring these gifts into the country?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Do you pay taxes? It is a gamble, there is no firm answer. Because of the season, Dominicans returning to the country with gifts are usually waved through Customs without much fanfare. Foreigners may be checked, but even that is iffy.

I checked the EPS website for the tax on a US$ 120 microwave and it indicated US$ 40 tax. It is best to be prepared to pay. However, if you don't fit any harmful profile when entering the country you also will most likely be waved through Customs. Regards, PJT

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
depends

If you get the same b*&%h I got in customs this past Oct. you'll pay. When I told her all the gifts were for kids with the Children's International Organization and I showed her letters, etc. she said"everyone has to pay something"

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Christmas gifts
The Customs Department has announced that the customary tax exemption on gifts valuing up to US$1,000 brought in by passengers arriving for the holidays begins today, 1 December. While the measure is limited to Dominican nationals who have not entered the country in the past six months, airport authorities are known to be lenient in this practice and will usually allow all gifts through at this time of the year without assessment. The exemption will remain in effect until 7 January.

Preview of brief to appear in DR1 Travel News tomorrow -- 2 December.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I always WONDER when I see the "Bringing Microwave" post!

Usually it is for some relatively"poor" person,who only wants it for a "Status Symbol" anyway! You can get a mirowave here for $50 US,with a garantee!and you won't have to "lug" one all the way down,and pay "duty" when you get here! Can't use it when there is no electricity!

I always "WONDER"? CC:confused:

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
and a sidebar...

you probably won't have enough wattage to run the thing let alone power is never on when you "need" to use it.....good luck!