From Punta To Puerto

mrstatesman

Dec 1, 2003
Hi, my name is Brian Phillips and I am coming to the DR on vacation from Dec. 14-20. Myself and three friends are flying into Punta Cana at around 3 p.m. on the 14th and would like to know the "best" way to get to the Playa Dorada complex. I have looked into air charters, renting a car and busses. We cannot check-in to our hotel in the Playa Dorada until something like noon on the 15th. Any sound advice would be greatly appreciated.:beard:

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Brian- if possible change your flight to POP airport (15min away) or STI (about 1hr) Punta Cana is a Looong way from Playa Dorado, thinking 9 hrs plus in a vehicle.

mrstatesman

Dec 1, 2003
options

Sadly, due to a unique flight arrangement, I am unable to change my flight. I may be able to fly into Santo Domingo, but would that be any better?

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Re: options

mrstatesman said:
Sadly, due to a unique flight arrangement, I am unable to change my flight. I may be able to fly into Santo Domingo, but would that be any better?

Brain pick up that phone NOW and change your flight to SDQ, it'll be a major improvement! You can take a taxi from Las Americas airport to the Caribe Tours bus stop in SD and from there it's a 4.5 hour ride on Caribe Tours to Puerto Plata (make sure your flight arrives before 5pm, if not, consider an overnight in Boca Chica) Playa Dorada is a mere 2 miles out of Puerto Plata.

If I were in your shoes I would rent a car at Las Americas and drive up to Playa D. This way you're not stuck there and you'll get out when and where you want. And it surely is one hell of a worry less the day you'll have to leave. Just try to get used to the local rules of the road.