Higuey

Sue Williams

Dec 2, 2003
I am in Texas and want information about Higuey DR In fact there is a Doctor Strucn in that city I would enjoy meeting and talking to. on line if possible.
Does anyone have any suggestions how I might get information on the city?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Higuey was founded on/around 1504 by Columbus and Ponce de Leon. It is the provincial capital of La Altagracia. It is located inland about 30 miles to the west of Punta Cana and 35 miles to the east of La Romana. The population has been estimated around 68 thousand, but includes populace from the area outward from the central city, no firm figures. The commerce of the city is based upon: support services to the tourist industry to its east, agriculture, cattle farming, construction, and many types of commerce. It is the regional government seat, hosting the governor's office, judicial palace, title registry, university and other governmental agencies.

The city itself is really not picturesque, it reflects its commerce. It is noisy, dusty, smelly, and congested. The only things that may be of tourist interest is the cathedral and possibly the open market, if one has a nose for that type of thing. .

There is a lot of old money in the city, they tend to keep to themselves, prefering to maintain a low profile while continuing to invest in the area. The new money, foreigners and non-locals continue to infuse themselves into the area bringing with them the associated upheaval of what was the usual way of doing things. Additional camps of "working class" transients also have arrived looking for the possibility of work in the resorts of the east. They bring with them their hopes and many of their problems. Higuey offers them (affordable?) housing and services even though distant from the resorts. The concern is there will eventually be more workers than jobs. Higuey will be left holding the bag.

Now to get to your doctor. Are you sure of the correct spelling of his name and know his specialty. May I be so forward to ask why he may be of interest to you? Regards, PJT