Just got home from a weekend at the Viva Tangerine

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
We needed a quick getaway from the constant torture of S.D. so the fiancee and I decided to give the Viva Tangerina a shot.

The drive from S.D. to Cabarete was a bit more stressful than normal since I decided to try another route. We went through the mountains (instead of around them on Aut. Duarte) and cut at least 1.5 hours off the trip. I dont recommend this route to anyone unless they have nerves of steal and a decent vehicle (preferably a jeep or SUV). The fiancee was almost in tears due to the blind curves, the precipice, and the speed I was driving. All in all, it's worth the "stress" to take the mountain route through Tamboril. The vistas were simply amazing.

The resort doesnt have a "grand" entrance like some other resorts but they definitely make up for it with their attention to details and most importantly, the food! I'm the type of travellar that "needs" quality, clean food to be happy with my stay. The Viva Tangerine did not let me down. The buffet was tasty and everything had a great unique taste unlike most resorts where the buffet food has the same bland taste. They also have two restaurants at the resort, an Italian and a Mexican. I highly recommend the Mexican restaurant (fiancee is still raving about the "ceviche").

The grounds of the resort were impeccable and the rooms were well above standard.

The staff and "animation crew" were extremely nice and helpful. One of the main things I noticed is that the animation crew was not just a bunch of sankie pankies. Most were Italian citizens that work at the resort.

In my opinion, Cabarete beach is by far the most impressive beach in the D.R.. If you're looking for crystal clear calm waters, Cabarete is not the place for you. The beach had some decent 2-3 foot waves and reminded me of a lot of Florida beaches that I stayed at as a kid. Most important thing about the beach (to me anyways) was that there was sand in both directions as far as I could see (and walk). The amount and variety of available water sports (non-motorized) was also impressive.

Of all the resorts I have visited in the D.R. (lived here for 5 years), the Viva Tangerine is the first one I have truly enjoyed and will be making plans to head back up there next month.

One thing that somewhat saddened me was the town of Cabarete... I knew it was a small town but had no idea how small. I was looking forward to doing some heavy clubbing in town but only found one decent "disco" and it wasnt that great. As far as towns in the D.R. go though, this one is by far the "cutest" one. Very small and touristy and unlike any other town in the D.R. I have seen.

Keely

Nov 12, 2003
Dress Code

For anyone who has stayed at the Viva Tangerine... two questions:

1) Is there a dress code for the restaurants? Are shorts OK?

2) Is there a gym? If so, is it any good? And were there any yoga or aerobic classes?

Thanks!

Keely

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I believe there was a dress code for the 2 restaurants... I wore blue jeans everytime I went to them so not too sure.

Yes they have a gym and although I didnt use it (just checked out the equipment), I was pretty impressed with the the variety and the fact that all the equipment was brand new. Not sure about the yoga or aerobic classes though.