Floor Tiles Buckeling And Breaking

Gregory Wales

Mar 7, 2002
www.mhhp.org
In recent weeks floor tiles in our third floor condo unit are buckeling and breaking (making a loud noise). It is evident the unit has had problems with the floor tiles in the past because the replaced tiles look different than the original ones.

Is this likely a result of the recent earthquakes or is this a fairly regular problem with floor tiles in a multi-level structure?

Thanks for any replies!

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
I think they call it "vicios de construcion", meaning that it was not well done or done cheaply...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I can agree with DCfred, the work was badly done. The cause could also be a result of the earth tremors, depends on where it is located. If the building is relatively new, the cause could be the settling of the building due to insufficient footings and/or the concrete flooring was insufficient or not allowed ample time to cure before the tiles were installed. There are solutions. The path of least resistance would be just to replace the damaged tiles. Next option, would be to replace all the tiles, lay new ones with enough spacing between tiles to allow contraction. Next option, reinforce the floor from below. Next option, sell and move.

Does your condo association provide you any recourse to repair at its expense. It may be worth looking into. Regards, PJT

Gregory Wales

Mar 7, 2002
www.mhhp.org
Thanks For The Replies!

The unit is about 15 years old and close to the beach between Sosua and Cabarete.

I think the poor construction with tiles positioned too close together explains it.

We'll just replace them and look forward to doing the same in the future.

Gregory Wales