***Welcome to the Environment Forum***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
2nd post............the first one takes the novelty away

Anyways, hopefully people learn alot about the natural resources of the DR with this forum. Good luck Keith

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Congratulations Keith. I think you are a great choice to moderate a forum like this. Maybe as the forum develops we can figure out a way to keep people from throwing their garbage all over the streets and the motos from choking me to death with their smoke emissions? Haha. then again, maybe not.

I agree with what Jon S. said.

Larry

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am too busy correcting papers to see this come up!

Environmental issues.

One which will come up, possibly, in the future will be the isntallation of a Seaboard place in the Samana Bay, probably near Sanchez, to supply electricity to Santiago and its environs.

this will spoil a fairly pristine area, have a possible impact on the Whales!!, and the freaking stuff is so out of date that it should be given away...

Another issue. I was raised on DON'T BE A LITTERBUG!!

Can anyone com up with something similiar for the DR??

HB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Keith is also NOT a pompous ass and I welcome him.

My pet peeves are exhaust from Motoconchos along with the noise from the Conchos and the Fruit and Vegatable vendors. Only other thing that riles me up is the mess on the beach after a weekend.

Regards
Scott

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Welcome fellow Moderator!

May none of cmedina's children invade your territory! Now. I'd like to discuss the pollution of threads on DR1 by liberal, knee-jerk ... aw heck. You know who you are!

Tom (aka XR)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
XanaduRanch said:
Welcome fellow Moderator!

May none of cmedina's children invade your territory! Now. I'd like to discuss the pollution of threads on DR1 by liberal, knee-jerk ... aw heck. You know who you are!

Tom (aka XR)
Thanks for the welcome and blessing, Tom. I'll try to stay away from topics such as the environmental impact of Aeromar! ;) lol

Hope you don't include me in the knee-jerk category. I never jerk my knees.

Over the years at various times I have been labeled liberal by the conservatives and reactionary by the liberals, so I figure I am just about right. :cool:

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Welcome to the Environment Forum

For those of you who don't know me yet, I'm Keith Ripley, "Keith R," a member of DR1's message boards since June 1998. Heck, at one point, I even wrote the DR1 daily news!

I'm a writer and consultant who makes a living out of analyzing and advising on environmental, health and safety issues in the Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) context. Among other things, I have written the only known book on the LAC waste situation and its policy responses, including recycling policies and practices. I love the DR, with which I have had a relationship ever since I married a dominicana in 1986. I lived four years in Santo Domingo 1995-99, the latter part of which I tried to start a business group to tackle waste problems in DR.

I am not a scientist or even an engineer, although I have many environmental engineer friends who would swear I am because I know a bit of the field from constant exposure. Likewise I not a lawyer, although I probably know more environmental, public health and consumer affairs law in LAC countries than many lawyers do. But that's the nature of my work.

I have a B.A. in Latin American Studies and a Masters in International Relations. I speak and write both Spanish and Portuguese.

Enough about me.

I have a number of ideas I'd like to pursue in this forum, but by all means want to encourage as many questions and as much input and discussion (not just p*ssing matches, as in some forums) on environment-related problems, concerns, likes/dislikes and what can be done about them.

First and foremost, I think that any DR1 forum on the environment should definitely try to tap into experience and ideas of current board participants and discuss down-to-earth solutions and things individuals, families or small groups can do. For example, the recent Board discussion of "waste to energy" (WTE) revealed some participants who know or have interest in methane capture, composting, use of recycled materials in construction, etc. I also know we have people on this Board with experience in solar and wind power, and some biologists, anthropologists, etc. I hope you'll pitch in.

Maybe in this process we can also identify business and export opportunities and potential markets that have an environmental dimension. That would be terrific. I personally believe that it is possible to both make money and help the environment, and would like to identify as many ways as possible this could be done in the DR context.

I would like to build a directory of practical resources that people can tap for getting advice or tapping the aforementioned type of products and services -- i.e., who to contact regarding solar panels, or setting up composting or methane recovery projects, getting water filters, etc.

I would like to encourage people to post examples of companies or persons trying to make a difference environmentally in the DR. I know some already and are trying to get them to participate. But the more the merrier.

I would like to build a compendium of useful links -- DR's environmental laws, DR environment- & conservation-related websites, environmental conventions the DR has ratified, profiles or studies done by IO's or NGOs that have DR content, etc.

I and some others will be invited to offer a sort of "op-ed" on environmental issues, either those mentioned in the DR1 Daily News of which have come up on their own. I particularly wouldn't mind some "why can't we do that here?" op-eds suggesting things that can be done in the DR if people just give a concerted try.

I would encourage people to take and send pics of the DR's natural wonders and parks, to be posted in a special part of the DR1 Media Gallery.

I would also like to have some reviews of the DR's parks and preserves. Anyone want to volunteer to start? How about you, Cleef?:cheeky: I know you love the outdoors and you're a terrific writer.

I would like to encourage people to submit reviews of the DR's "eco-tourism" offerings. Encourage others to suggest new ones....Hey, how about having people critique how environment-friendly individual hotels are, and send those along to the hotel management? Or regularly rate the cleanliness of different beaches?

I want to encourage people to ask challenging questions about DR environment and conservation issues. Maybe we can challenge the Environment Ministry to explain or respond....If they don't, we ourselves may take a stab at it!

These are just a few of the ideas I have. Others are welcome.

I have a long list of specific environment- and natural resource-related topics we can tackle, but would prefer letting Board members suggest their own ideas and concerns first. If you are timid about doing it on the board yourself, feel free to PM or e-mail them to me and I can do it for you.

Best Regards,
Keith :glasses:

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Escott said:
Keith is also NOT a pompous ass and I welcome him.

My pet peeves are exhaust from Motoconchos along with the noise from the Conchos and the Fruit and Vegatable vendors. Only other thing that riles me up is the mess on the beach after a weekend.

Regards
Scott

Thanks for the welcome, Scott! Of course we all know I can be an ass, just not a pompous one! ;)

Would you like to kick off a new thread on any of those topics? For example, if you were put in charge of makig sure the beaches stayed clean, how would you go about it? I mean for real, not silly out-of-the-question stuff like banning certain people from the beach!
Best Regards,
Keith

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good idea for a forum.

May it be filled with solutions, creativity, energy, imagination and inspiration - as opposed to just whingeing about Dominicans and sound-offs about the state of the environment, although there is a place for letting off some steam I suppose.

Just let's not let negativity and fatalism dominate.

Keith is both wise and cool, clearly knows his stuff and will make it work.

Chiri

Last edited:

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Excellent choice Rob

KeithR is well tempered, logical and is overall a nice guy.

I hope this forum offers solutions to the terrible littering problem that I observed on my last visit. Beer bottles and plastic containers were all over the side of the roads, how disgusting!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: Excellent choice Rob

Jwb said:
KeithR is well tempered, logical and is overall a nice guy.
Gee, thanks, Jon! You just think that because you talked to me after a few Presidentes were in your system. ;)

Jon, check out our separate thread on litter and environmental education. Feel free to jump into the discussion!

Best Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chirimoya said:
Good idea for a forum.

May it be filled with solutions, creativity, energy, imagination and inspiration - as opposed to just whingeing about Dominicans and sound-offs about the state of the environment, although there is a place for letting off some steam I suppose.
This is my goal. I want some brainstorming, some real exchange of info and ideas, sprinkled with equal parts realism and inspiration!

Just let's not let negativity and fatalism dominate.

Amen! Folks, I do not want to make this another platform for unbroken DR bashing. Sound-offs, sure. Holding the government, whether national or local, and businesses accountable for their failings in this field, definitely! But steady Dominican bashing, no! Take it elsewhere, folks.

For those of you who don't understand, be forewarned I already know how to operate the edit & delete buttons! :mad:

Keith is both wise and cool, clearly knows his stuff and will make it work.

Chiri [/B]

Coming from you, Chiri, means alot. I have always admired your posts for their clarity, insights & how articulate you are. I hope you become a regular in this forum! ;)

Best Regards,
Keith

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Yes Sir!

Keith R said:
Welcome to the Environment Forum

I would also like to have some reviews of the DR's parks and preserves. Anyone want to volunteer to start? How about you, Cleef?:cheeky: I know you love the outdoors and you're a terrific writer.

Best Regards,
Keith :glasses:
I sure will.

I have some work on going to write about some of my experiences. I've been fortunate enough through my own exploration and with my schools' adventure club to be able to see and do some neat things.

I'll begin work on posting my experiences as soon as time permits, hopefully before the holiday break, but most certainly after. If I have power through today, I'll post what I have ready.

Great idea Keith, one that was due.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Re: Yes Sir!

Cleef said:
[/size]I sure will.

I have some work on going to write about some of my experiences. I've been fortunate enough through my own exploration and with my schools' adventure club to be able to see and do some neat things.

I'll begin work on posting my experiences as soon as time permits, hopefully before the holiday break, but most certainly after. If I have power through today, I'll post what I have ready.

Great idea Keith, one that was due.
Hurray for Brother Keith. As I stated before, they could not have made a better choice. You are a very unbiased and wise man and I know that you will get this going in no time. You are taking a stand in trying to help the DR. Now it's time for those complainers to stop complaining about the problems in the DR and start doing something about it. You can count on me, companero Keith.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Great Forum

I like the Idea of this forum. I have seen threads from organic produce to waste to energy. The irony for me is they are really can be one in the same.
I plan on living in the D.R. in about four years. I retire from the Navy in 541 days" not that I am counting" Then 36 months of G.I. bill for finishing my education.
I plan to live in the D.R. and be a hippie. I want to homestead and be self supportive energy and food wise. I will let my pension support my computer addiction.
I have spent the better part of my teenage years along with all of my adult years looking at ways to live in the modern age with out being supported by the power company. All my dreaming looks like it will work just fine in the D.R.
I look forward to the exchange of info in the future.
John

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Kind of discussion I would like to see

Home water purification. Oraganic gardening in relation to home energy production. Seting up comunity co-ops.
I am sure these will happen with time.
John

Last edited:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I just wanted to say Congrats to Keith.

btw, make sure Rob pays you on time...lol

I am still waiting for last months pay

;)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Who else but Keith? Best choice.

[B]cmedina07[/B] said:
btw, make sure Rob pays you on time...lol
I am still waiting for last months pay
You are getting paid?! All I get is the ocassional coffee and I have to bring my own cookies.

Off to Secretar?a de Trabajo!

At least Uncle Rob makes some decent coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.