Eco-tourism in the DR, Status & Potential

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I would be interested in exploring the DR's eco-tourism potential and what it is doing/not doing to realize it.

I would be particularly interested in hearing from Board members whout what they consider to be the DR's best eco-tourism destinations/tours/activities.

If you have a favorite and know it's contact details, please provide them. And anyone wanting to do a review of one, that would be most welcome too.

Finally, what ones are not offerred yet but you would most like to see?

Your Humble Moderator :glasses:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Oh no, not another site that looks like someone's Spanglish school project...

On the subject of eco-tourism, can we extend the definition to "community tourism"? Tourism that is designed to promote the environment without harming it is commendable, but not worth much as long as the local community is excluded or adversely affected by such ventures.

Every year or so there is an "Eco-tourism" conference in the DR, but I think these are little more than talking shops with no real action. However, the rhetoric from the tourism authorities and the industry does seem to reflect that they realise that the total reliance on the all inclusive model is not economically sustainable and are looking at ways of diversifying the market to attract a wider range of tourists. This by definition should involve models that include more local people.

e.g. There is an initiative in Las Galeras called Proyecto Guarinquen (sp?) which aims at involving more local people in tourism, combined with setting up visitors' centres and nature trails in the area. It has received a decent amount of international funding and I will see how they have progressed when I next visit, and report back.

The way El Limon waterfall near Samana is set up is another good model: local people run their own "paradas" on the roadside and provide guides, horses, meals etc for the visitor, and are in charge of maintaining the track and the area round the falls.

It would be interesting to hear about more like these. There are many potential visitors out there who would flock here if more was made of the alternative attractions - beyond beach resorts - that the country has to offer.

Chiri

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I am wondering what others on this board think of the promises made in the following document summarizing a recent meeting (December) in the DR sponsored by the Tour Operators Intiative for Sustainable Tourism Development:
http://www.toinitiative.org/destinations/DomRep/TOIPressDomRep.pdf

This is from an interesting website dedicated to what tour operators say they are doing to promote environment- and community-friendly development of tourism.

I note that they also have a "good practices" case study on the site involving the reputed contribution of Viaggi del Ventaglio & Gran Dominicus to the eco-friendly rebuilding of the Bayahibe area after Hurrican George. The two-page summary for thiis case study is readable at:
http://www.toinitiative.org/good_practices/case studies/65.pdf
Anyone on this board know firsthand about this case? Is it all it's presented to be?

What should the role of tour operators be in promoting sustainable tourism (in both economic & environmental senses) in the DR? What is the gap between claims & rhetoric and the current reality in tour operator activity in the DR?

Regards,
Keith

Re: Can't They Promote This Better?

Keith R said:
Just looked at the rather outdated and strangely-designed Tourism Ministry pages on eco-tourism:
http://www.dominicana.com.do/english/npei.htm

Seems to me that the Ministry could have done a more comprehensive and exciting presentation of what the DR has to offer...

hmm, I actually like the site. I do remember going to this site several years ago, I think. But to the naked eye for a first time visiting person, it is ok.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
I got an idea

Any of you true business people could do something to make real money. You could start an eco tour thing for the tree huggers to pay you good money to sleep in the 2 room shacks in the campo to pick up garbage along the beach or rivers.
Rich snooty kids do that all the time. Give some letter of appreciation and collect a $100 buck a day to get them to clean a beach and sleep in a shack.
Just a thought.
John

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
I was being seriuos

There are groups out there that charge a rich person $5000 for a rewarding two weeks workign in a ghetto in SOutn Amrica or Africa or Asia. They get it.
I was originally thinking of Joining the Peace Corps when I retired to have two years of no cost living an let my pension roll over so I was reasearching options.
I found these places. Hell when I get down I will even cater it rice and beans.
As stupid as it sounds it would work. I think what woudl be real cool is of one of you bougha piece of evelopment land that was trashed out you could get these kids to pay you to clean it up.
Like I said Just a thought lol
John:pirate:

Last edited:

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
I agree with Chirimoya that for ecotourism to be successful, it must reach the local people, they must be the base of the project for it to work.

One way of doing this is to have diveshops and fishing tours, train and employ local fisherman and "compressor divers". An "ONG" or NGO could also be used to fund training of divemasters, fising tour guides, convert motoconcho to ATV guides. The sky is the limit.

You would be amazed what NGO money goes to waste on in this country.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Joe run with it

Joe run with it. I could see it working out. I really could. If I were there already and set up I could see it being pulled off. Really give them the Salley Struthers warm fuzzy.
American rich love doing this stuff. Makes them feel somehow justified being a snob 11 and half months a year.
Sort of like Beverly Hills plastic surgeons paying to go to Peru on vacation to practice medicine on the poor.
John

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
sancochojoe you going to be rich

Ok I got it worked out. What you do is come up with system to recycle the plastic into work bins. Then you get the rich snobs to do the work. Then you set up the worm bins for the poor people in the campos.
You give them the touchy feelie I livved like a hippie one summer. Charge them maybe $200 a day for the experiance. Film the whole and put it on TV.
Easy big bucks.
Not a problem.
John