Adopting A Dominican Child

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I suggest you contact Fabio Guzman who looks after this forum. I know Fabio is an expert in this field and has handled a number of adoptions.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Starz:

I have had a bit of experience in this area, and all I can say is good luck. There is at least a three to four year wait for Dominican children. Sorry, but even that is a bit optimistic.

Children here are seldom abandoned or even put up for adoption. A lot has to do with the idea of the extended family.

If you do an archive search under Hillbilly, you will find a post that says the "Luckiest child alive" ...read it and you will see what I mean. And the final final papers are not yet signed!

HB

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
THANX ALL

Thanks all

I never realized that it would be so difficult.

It was something that I considered. Kind of like if I could not save all I could save one or two

thanks again for all of your imput

;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a thought

Have you considered International Childrens Fund, run out of Kansas City??

You could post to StLouisMike and he could give you some of the details of his experiences, good and bad, with them. I know two or three other folks that have done this and they are happy with the program.

HB

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
If it is to adopt a child that you want, I would suggest looking at Costa Rica or maybe Mexico. If you want to help a Dominican child, I would suggest Children International as HB suggested. We have had a child with them for 6 years with no complaint. There was a post on here from a couple who adopted a child several years ago from the DR. You could run a search.

Best of Luck

Mainer

philly

Feb 14, 2003
Starz_in_my_eye

dominicans have a concept of 'mama de crianza' and it is much more pervasive then the concept of 'adoption' although it has many of the same qualities...i've seen this concept applied loosely to extended family and even to extended friends of family...

just thought i'd throw that in there not sure if you ever considered it or even if it is a posibility for you.

you would think among people so poor that thier would be more adoption...but i've seen poor people take on the responsibility to provide for poorer people!

Re: Dear Starz:

Hillbilly said:
I have had a bit of experience in this area, and all I can say is good luck. There is at least a three to four year wait for Dominican children. Sorry, but even that is a bit optimistic.

Children here are seldom abandoned or even put up for adoption. A lot has to do with the idea of the extended family.

If you do an archive search under Hillbilly, you will find a post that says the "Luckiest child alive" ...read it and you will see what I mean. And the final final papers are not yet signed!

HB

well we are finished with our process of adopting an abandoned Domincan girl, and she is currently in the care of my brother-in-law in DR. Just waiting on the process of the paper work from the States to get her in. $600 stinkin bucks. But we are recognized as the parents by DR.

In essence, its who you know. We have connections foirtunately.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Re: Dear Starz:

sancochojoe said:
In essence, its who you know. We have connections foirtunately.
Really. Say 'Hi' to 'Hill for me. Tell her T.C. asked how that Owl's ring went over ...

Tom (aka XR)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will take book on this

Remember Yogi: "It ain't over 'til it's over."

I'll take bets that the papers take ages.

However, Sanchocho, you have brought up a very valid point. It is who you know.... In "our" personal case, it was Mrs. Hippo, the judge and a few other people....

Lots of folks have their hands out, and US$600 = RD$24,000 is a very steep payoff, but it could have been worse. I'll bet the S. O. B. asked for a thousand...

The one way I have seen it done is to be at the right spot at the perfect moment. Like at the hospital when an unwanted birth occurs--thanking the Lord that no abortion was done--you can sometimes pick up a child. Or in the countryside, there are babies that can be given away. But you have to be here for this to happen. I know a wonderful woman that got her daughter like that. A nurse friend called her to tell her that a baby girl was just abandoned at the hospital and did she want it? She said: ?f course!" Then she called her husband and told him to go to the Civil Registry Office and tell them that she had just had a baby girl. At that time it was less complicated than now, but she had a friendly MD at one of the Clinics send a note that said on such and such day a baby girl was born to So-and-So, Father was Fulano and Mother was Sotana....Bingo, the baby was theirs, with papers.....The most famous case of this involved a now retired but very famous tennis player...One of the ones I know about involved the most brilliant student i have ever had, a person I love and adore to this day!

One of the major obstacles to a smooth and orderly process is the fact that the guy that has the final say in these matters is a political appointee with a need for green! He can get as much as US$20,000 for a healthy baby, more if it is lighter skinned. This is one of those plum jobs that nobody knows about but allows a guy to get filthy rich in a few years....

I truly wish you good luck for your process Sancocho, you are doing a good thing.

HB

Hillbilly

you are actually right, the baby had no birth certificate nor name, and we were going to put mine and my wifes name on the certificate which would made it a lot easier but a stupid thing called ethics kicked me in the head. But anyway, it seems to be moving forward.

Anyway like I said, the DR part is over. It is just the paperwork via US Immigration.

All the handsouts actually came to about $500 US in The DR
the $600 is the handout US Immigration wants.

The baby is now in the hands of my Brother-in-law and his family until we get through the beurocracy of the US.

Last edited:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
$600 for an adoption is an incredibly low price to pay. Standard fees are 15 to 25 times that amount. The last adoption we finished a few months ago took us 15 months' work dealing with incompetent and/or ignorant officials in three different jurisdictions.

Beginning August 2004, a new adoption statute will be in force. I hope but don't expect that it will become easier.

Sancochojoe, if you used a lawyer please email me his name and telephone number. If everything is as you say, I'll be referring a lot of cases.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You coulda been a winner!

Ethics schmethics!....

You shoulda done it.

Anyway you did get a very good and inexpensive deal. Now you have to take care of the baby..

Even Fabio agrees that it is super cheap!

HB

debajoelsol

Jan 23, 2003
Several years ago my brother in law died suddenly at 32 years of age leaving our three year old sobrina an orphan. We wished to adopt her and take her out of the country to provide a future for her. I spent several weeks in the Dominican Republic getting the first of the paper work together. The lawyer then told us that my wife and I would have to stay in Santo Domingo at some time in the future for a one month period with the child so a social worker could visit us and see if we were appropriate candidates for adoption. This was the hurdle that we couldn't clear. We need to be working in Canada to adopt and at the same time spend a month sitting in a hotel in the capital. Can Mr. Guzman please tell us if this is still a required condition of adoption? It was very disappointing for everyone.

Being one not to give up, I am glad to say that my little niece now calls me Daddy and is living with us in Canada. She is completely bilingual and doing exceptional well in school.

How? It's la Republica Dominicana.

If the adoption laws change for the better there is another little girl that is waiting to follow in her cousin's footsteps.

Sancocho , buena suerte y El Dios te bendiga.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wouldn't bother now

if you have the child in Canada, under your guidence, you are really the Padres de crianza. The little child will know that you are family and that his/her own parents loved her very much but they had to go to heaven much too early, so you had to take over and love him/her all the more.

The child is truly lucky. when he/she reaches 18 years of age, he/she can become a Canadian citizen and later reclaim some Dominican citizenship if needs be...

Well done!

HB

Genesis

Mar 3, 2005
sancochojoe said:
Hillbilly

you are actually right, the baby had no birth certificate nor name, and we were going to put mine and my wifes name on the certificate which would made it a lot easier but a stupid thing called ethics kicked me in the head. But anyway, it seems to be moving forward.

Anyway like I said, the DR part is over. It is just the paperwork via US Immigration.

All the handsouts actually came to about $500 US in The DR
the $600 is the handout US Immigration wants.

The baby is now in the hands of my Brother-in-law and his family until we get through the beurocracy of the US.

i also want to adopt a child in DR she have not been declare by the mother or the father can you tell me what is my first step to beging the adoption.

thak you!