Difference between Black Americans and Black Dominicans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vainqueur_Noir

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 24, 2003
I think that we share a catatropic relationship with Dominicans. We're alike, but yet we're totally different. They get one drop of white blood or non-black blood and they consider themselves white or "Indio". When we have one drop of black blood we are automatically considered black and accepted as black. I believe that our racial perception is more logical and believeable. I'm not the darkest shade of black, but if I told someone that I'm 100% black they will believe me. If a black or mulatto comes to the U.S. and wants whites to believe that he is white they will laugh at him and I would too. I don't think it's right to deny any of your racial ingrediants but both of us do this. The only difference is that our racial perception is more visibly believeable. Another difference is that we are more individual. We have our own culture seperate from the white culture, and a lot of the white youths follow what we do. We wear a certain type of clothing and they will wear it, we listen to a certain rapper and they will do it. Dominicans don't have as much leadership or individuality because they choose not to. They follow what the Spaniards do and try being as white as possible. These are just the horrors of assimilation, it always results in denial of heritage and trying to be white. Then there are some Dominicans who recognize who they are after long exposure to black Americans. Like the actor Merlin Santana R.I.P. You wouldn't know he was Dominican if he didn't tell you.

I found an essay by a boy who has a black American mother and a Dominican father and I think that he explains the difference better than I can.

"Afro-Americans and Dominicans have different values and different styles of life. Most Dominicans are racist towards African-Americans because ?America? perceives them as the same ethnic group. I think that because of this, Dominicans feel insulted that they can?t be viewed as Hispanics. Even though Dominicans have African influences just as Afro-Americans do, they don?t want to be accepted as blacks. For example, some Dominicans don?t want other Dominicans to date Blacks and have interracial relationships. They are not realizing how similar their cultures are. Dominicans believe that they have a full Spanish heritage and they try to forget about their African origins. Dominicans value life as Spaniards. Dominicans were completely brainwashed away from their African background that is really hard for them to escape from. Dominicans eat different types of food and they listen to different types of music than African Americans do. In reality there are still African influences in their music and their food.

On the other hand, African Americans value life as Americans. They have the same customs as Americans, but they are still minorities. Afro-Americans consider themselves as black Americans and they want to be accepted as black Americans. Afro-Americans still have an understanding of their heritage. Some Afro-Americans feel they are still Africans. Some don?t want to be accepted as Americans."-Ricardo Workman

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Let me guess....

You watched the Montel Williams show about race? White kids wear whatever they want to..(America..) Some are followers of rap individuals and wear what rappers wear..But do the blacks that dress other than rapper style..are they following whites??? Such a dumb thread I am amazed...My husband is considered "Black Hispanic" and he is Dominican...He is offended when someone thinks he is AFRO-AMERICAN.....(believe me all the black women like him...) He is amazed at how ignorant Americans are and do not even know that Dominican Republic exists..and that his Spanish language is not "Mexican"...Shows that America needs to get educated..

People are people man...yes some Bi racial people look white and call themselves black, some call themselves white.. But most would probably like to be considered as people before color..I know I would if I were bi racial..Color does not matter..BEHAVIOR does..therefore Rappers both Black and white (Eminem..you go white boy..LOL) are just that....rappers who have a dress style that kids follow..same as Skaters do...if white kids are wearing those clothes MAYBE they are following Eminem..not 50Cent...but who really cares? I would not use rappers as a good example of Black Americans..most are admitted drug dealers, thugs, gang leaders/members etc...makes for the "Dumbing of American kids"...

Black Dominicans are different from Black Americans I can assure you of that...and they come in as many shades as black Americans can be found but the features are different... at least in my husbands case...:) PAM

Status
Not open for further replies.