Viva Tangerine, Cabarete

ebk

Oct 13, 2003
We returned this week from five nights at the Viva Tangerine. It was WONDERFUL. It exceeded our expectations in every regard, and we are already planning to return. We had never been to the DR before, and were quite apprehensive about whether or not the new resort was fully operational. Don't worry; it is and then some.

It has everything you need to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. It is nicely laid out, is not a huge place with no "feel" to it, and is not like a prefab McResort that seem to be everywhere.

Truly, the staff make the resort what it is. They are wonderful. If you want something they make it happen, if something is not right they fix it, if you meet them oce they remember your name. I travel a LOT, and this is not something I ever see. There is nothing impersonal about this place. You are given privacy but know that there is a concerned staff who do seem to be in the spirit of the place.

The food was very good and diverse, with an eye toward pleasing everyone. I was happy to see that they tried to include DR foods on the menu too so that there was a flavor of the region available. The rooms are quite good, with nice balconies and storage space. The grounds were in perfect shape (one would never have guessed that the plantings had just been done) and there was always something to do.

Our children participated in the Kids Club and the staff there were also exceptional. It is a safe, nurturing and friendly environment. They treated the children like their own. Wonderful.

I would be remiss in not specially mentioning Gabriel in Guest Services, who seems to be everywhere at once. He makes it all happen and is friendly and a perfect representative for Viva and Wyndham. Easy in Guest Services was also very accomodating and particularly great with kids. Emil, Angela, Adrianna...the list goes on. I rarely have ever come home from a trip knowing the names of any employees, but these folks are simply terrific. There was not a bad employee in sight. so my hat is off to the person who hired these people.

It is a lovely place in a charming area with a beautiful beach, good fun, lots to do, and is reasonably priced. I suggest it to anyone.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I guess it's just a matter of taste...

I've been to PC and other north coast beaches and liked Cabarate beach more than the rest... I'm not as big a fan of the crystal clear waters as I am of the wave and wind action. We also liked the fact that the beach continues on and on and isnt just a small strip of sand between the resort and the ocean.

NV

It is all in what you like that is correct, the waves when I was they were not to bad for kite boarding and sailboarding, but it is the dark brown sand beaches I did not like, along with the trash that was washed up every day.
I have seen nicer brown sand beaches on the north coast, Sosua and Maimon.
A subnote, the beaches in Bavaro(PC) go on and on and on, they arent just a small strip of sand between the resort and the ocean.

mjr

Dec 6, 2003
Viva Tangerine Beaches

After reading some of the comments concering the beaches around Cabarete, I found I could not help but register and reply. I guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I found the beach near the Viva to be magnificent, one of a kind. I don't sun bathe on beaches, I run on them. This summer, I ran on the beautiful beaches of Siesta Key, Florida, and South Carolina. Recently, I have run on the beautiful white sand beaches in Marco Island, Florida, and in Hawaii. Running on a beach can be difficult at times, unless it is a wide, long sandy beach. Too much pitch makes it very difficult to run. I couldn't wait to wake up at the crack of dawn each day to run the beach into Cabarete and turn around and run to the other point in the bay. It was only about a 3 mile round trip, but in reality, I could have gone furthur. I was all alone early in the day, and on occasion I stopped to pick a shell or a sand dollar, although the pickings were slim. Sure the surf was rough and the sand was not as white as the West Coast of Florida, or black as those in Maui, but they were wide, flat, and wild. I even got the opportunity to ride a horse on some less visted streaches of beach east of Cabarate and they too were magnificent.

So once again, I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. You won't find me on a beach sunning during the prime sun hours, on on the other hand, I have run hundreds of miles up and down some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and I can't wait to run past the Viva again.

MacDoogs

Dec 30, 2003
My husband and I just spent 2 wonderful weeks at Viva Tangerine as well. Just to let those Viva vistors that left before us... Easy was let go from Viva around Dec 19th. Too bad, he was one of the best they had - our group personally had a great time with him.

bucsraa

Dec 31, 2003
I want to thank you all for your input regarding Viva Tangerine. I will be vacationing with a group of 60 at the end of January and any comments reflecting on the resort are very much appreciated.
This will be my third time going to DR and second time to Puerto Plata. As a true "beach bum", I have to comment on the comparison of Puerto Plata vs. Punta Cana beach. Punta Cana, by far, is the BEST:D beach I have ever been on. The sand is whiter and softer than Puerto Plata. The color of the water, more turquoise.

MacDoogs

Dec 30, 2003
Bug Spray

The only other thing I would add to the other comments is that you should take some bug spray. Once the sun goes down... the sand fleas and mosquitoes were very active!

Have a great trip! Wish I was going back.

bucsraa

Dec 31, 2003
Well, I'm back from Viva. For the most part, it was an enjoyable vacation. We were lucky, the weather was awesome during our stay, not so just days previous. This new resort has many areas to improve to earn the "Wyndham reputation" and will hopefully get there with time. I think their greatest asset is their staff. Our large group was obnoxious most of the time, and the staff remained friendly and pleasant and always trying to please. At check out, they encourage you to fill out a satisfaction survey reflecting your stay. Overall, I ranked them "satisfied" with my stay but included the following recommendations: They need more wait staff. We often waited for beverages at the buffet area and service around the pool and beach was sporatic. They also need more shade. I love the sun but found myself seeking shade periodically during the day because of the intense heat and skin burning. I suggest more straw huts or portable umbrellas placed around the pool or beach. Evening entertainment was just OK. One of the nights, they had a commedian from the chain "Yuk Yuks". Frankly, I found the jokes within our own group to be funnier. It was also hard to keep your attention as they tried to speak the joke in more than one language. The sewage odor is still a problem. Some days and some areas worse than others. We were told by mgt. that they are trying to rectify the problem in sections. ($20,000 per section) I also agree that they need more hooks and shelves in the bathrooms. Most of the time, the maid left our handtowels lay within the basin of the bu'day. The town of Cabarate was appealing for a third world country. I only went their 1x as we were encouraged to stay on the grounds of the resort while strikes and riots were taking place in the streets due to an increase in gas prices and periodic power outages. I also suggested another bar. Maybe poolside serving frozen beverages and such. There is only 1 bar and with sporatic wait staff on the beach/pool, it's a short hike to get something to drink, especially to carry more than 3. Which reminds me, quality of the drinks varied depending on who made them. They also ran out of bar supplies such as whiskey and tomato juice. We were told that supplies were dampened by the strikes and protests. Quality of the food at the buffet could improve. For a small resort, the buffet could have been better.
Would I go back? Now that I'm back to below fridget temperatures and shoveling snow, definitely yes. Go back next year, probably not but if I were a kite surfer enthusiast, most definitely yes!