Haiti from Santiago? 26th?

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
In addition to the visa questions I posted on the legal forum, I would appreciate it if anyone has info on leaving for Haiti from Santiago instead of Santo Domingo.
There are daily buses leaving from Santo Domingo, but this would add 5 hours to our trip to get to Santo Domingo and then to have to double back to Santiago, as I understand that the buses travel through Santiago to go to Cap Haitian?? I better go look at a map because I'm not sure where these places are in relation to one another .....
Also, does anyone know if there will be buses on Dec. 25th and/or 26th? Do the bus companies close down for X-mas?

Stay well,
Amy

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Wake up early, and get on the following bus : "Expresso Liniero", that drives from Santiago to Dajabon. Ask for the express one, so it doesn't stop along the way. It take about 2 hours and 30 mn...
Once in Dajabon, cross the border, that will cost you 25 US$ of exit fee on the dominican side, and then 25 gourdes (about 25 pesos) on the haitian side. You are now in Haiti, in Ouanaminthe. If you are really broke, ask for a tap-tap that goes to Cap Haitien (it's not very confortable...)... If you have some cash to spend, bargain with some taxi (that might be an old, beaten up pick-up truck...), and ask to get to Cap H.
Once there, if you stay in town, I recommend "Hotel Mont-Joli". If you want to be on the beach, in a beautifull environment, I recommend "Hotel Cormier Plage".

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In Cap Haitien I have stayed at the Hotel Roi Christophe, and as I will be visiting in January I am interested in finding out whether it is still there! Something which is undoubtedly still there - in the north of Haiti - is La Citadelle - one of the unsung wonders of the world.

Bon vwayaj!

Chiri

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Transporte Espinal goes to Dajabon

Phone is 575 7619

Terra Bus goes to Hait? and costs about the same as flying there!!

HB