Beware of NYC to DR shipping companies!

CorletoLovesDR

Jul 8, 2002
Dear comrades,

I live in NY and frequently ship boxes of food and/or personal stuff to DR. But, I don't know what is going on recently... many strange things have happened and I would like you to be aware of them so you are not the next victims. I want to present three cases:

. My mother sent two boxes with a shipping company (I don't want to give the name here) on Oct. 3. We were promised that the items will get to Santo Domingo in no more than 3 weeks. Well, now it's over two months, and nothing has arrived there! We have contacted the shipping company numerous times, and all they tell us is that they shipped the stuff, and it's probably on customs.

. My cousins shipped boxes of food a couple of months before that. But, now only did it take a long while for them to be delivered, but, when they got there, most of the food items were missing. The boxes were vandalized! For instance, they sent some big containers of cooking oil. The people who received them there said that they were almost empty. Someone had sucked the oil, probably using syringes! What a shame!

. Yesterday, on the evening news on Univision, channel 41, I saw the case of a dominican grandmother who sent $US15,000 worth of her possessions to the DR through one of these shipping companies. All of it was lost! She took the owner of the shipping company to court, and all she got back was the money for the shipping charges that she paid!

Now, all of these incidents have happened with three different shipping companies in the last 4 months. We used to use the same shipping company in the past and we never had any problems. Everything arrived there on time, without a pin missing. My big question is:

* Are the crooks at customs in Santo Domingo stealing and vandalizing everything??? Sorry, I couldn't be more explicit than this!!!

Any experiences from the members of this bulleting board or any comments will be appreciated.

Thank you all!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
nyc shippers

As a service to DR1 members in NYC would you be able to give the names of the shippers by our PM? If so I would welcome the info so that if it is the shipper and not customs I can avoid the same problems you are having.
Thanks in advance JOHN

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Thats Normal over there

I used to have a P.O Box in Santo Domingo thinking that was safe for me to recieve and send Package from Canada from my wife. Several times she sent me package and I was getting then until Feb. 2003.

After that she was sending many stuff I never I got them, I visited the main office in Santo Domingo and the lady said to me "maybe the package never got to Miami" I told her, "I have that P.O box number over 2 years nothing like that happened"

The Problem is not Custom in Canada or USA, the problem that delicuent who are working at the Custom in DR. Stealing pictures and personal stuff.

I can't belive it, I never solve that problem I never got my stuff back.

Homer

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
CorletoLovesDR said:
Dear comrades,

I live in NY and frequently ship boxes of food and/or personal stuff to DR. But, I don't know what is going on recently... many strange things have happened and I would like you to be aware of them so you are not the next victims. I want to present three cases:

. My mother sent two boxes with a shipping company (I don't want to give the name here) on Oct. 3. We were promised that the items will get to Santo Domingo in no more than 3 weeks. Well, now it's over two months, and nothing has arrived there! We have contacted the shipping company numerous times, and all they tell us is that they shipped the stuff, and it's probably on customs.

. My cousins shipped boxes of food a couple of months before that. But, now only did it take a long while for them to be delivered, but, when they got there, most of the food items were missing. The boxes were vandalized! For instance, they sent some big containers of cooking oil. The people who received them there said that they were almost empty. Someone had sucked the oil, probably using syringes! What a shame!

. Yesterday, on the evening news on Univision, channel 41, I saw the case of a dominican grandmother who sent $US15,000 worth of her possessions to the DR through one of these shipping companies. All of it was lost! She took the owner of the shipping company to court, and all she got back was the money for the shipping charges that she paid!

Now, all of these incidents have happened with three different shipping companies in the last 4 months. We used to use the same shipping company in the past and we never had any problems. Everything arrived there on time, without a pin missing. My big question is:

* Are the crooks at customs in Santo Domingo stealing and vandalizing everything??? Sorry, I couldn't be more explicit than this!!!

Any experiences from the members of this bulleting board or any comments will be appreciated.

Thank you all!
Funny you mention it, Corleto. I send at least 3 boxes to the dr a month and never had a problem until last August. The box was delivered open and there was a digital carmera and 2 phones missing. After an investigation, one of the agent said that he took the items and gave it to some other custom worker that "wanted it". They are so corrupt that he was never fired. But I made sure that the guy that comes to my home to pick up the boxes pay me for the missing items. He was not happy but I gave him a choice:"pay my things or I will not send another box with you". He was mad but paid me. Make sure that the company that you used is insured. Now when I send my boxes, I make the guy sign a paper stating that if the box is missing anything or never gets there, that he will pay me.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
My advice. If you or the intended receiver do not get the goods within 15 days of the intended date of delivery is to file a written claim, registered mail/return receipt with the origin shipping company in the states. You have better recourse advantages in the states. If they do not respond to you with 5 business days, take them to court. It is the only way they will get off their arrsssses.

A couple of my family members have had similar situations, and have lost shipments due to the practices of questionable companies. Yet, in each situation they brought suit and won compensation. They also put the companies out of business. The flip side of this, like the mythical Hydra, for every bad head cut off, two new ones appear.

Check out the shipping company before using them to move your goods.

Regards, PJT

Last edited:

leo_DR

Dec 8, 2003
www.geocities.com
Corleto, although I don't live in NYC, it might be useful to NYC residents if you give the shipping company's name.

I do have one question: Does this company have a series of commercials? I do remember seeing advertisements for a shipping company (DR-NYC), then again I might be thinking of a different one.

Leo

Lissy

Nov 12, 2003
Is this a puerta a puerta company? We send stuff all the time....and never have problems my mom-in-law every trip she makes which 2-4 times a year she send a minimum of 7 cajas and has never has a problem..... The only problem we ever had was with sending a car...but you get that no matter what company...there was a fed hold on the ship and car arrive all scratched up....

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
It wouls appear to me that the basic problem is a lack of security given to shipments, either at the point of origin or at the port receiving the goods. I would suggest that any of you shipping goods tell he shipper to have the shipment offloaded at a smaller port where there is better security. The ports on the South Coast are jammed and overloaded to the point of being ridiculous. And the security doesn't appear to be all that great. How can it be, when there hundreds of people running around loose with no supervision.
It's a thief's paradise!

Texas Bill

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Security is only a word. The only security you have is to presence of the shipping agent at the port at all times to watch over the goods and that will not happen unless you pay the big bucks. Big port or small port, each has its own form of graft. Some of the people who work there are there for opportunity to cash in on the ill gotten gains. That goes for any country. Regards, PJT