An Invitation

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hi, I'm Keith R. For those of you who do not know me, I'm a long-time poster (since 1998) who has been made moderator of DR1's new Environment Forum.

For those of you who have visited the DR's eco-tourism attractions (Pico Duarte, Los Haitises, Bahia de las Aguilas, Lago Enriquillo, Cava de las Maravillas, whale watching in Samana Bay, etc.) or taken so-called eco-tours, or for people planning to do so during their stay in the DR, we at the Environment Forum would like to invite you to post in our Forum your review of the spot or tour you visited, so that others can benefit from your experience.

Perhaps in this way we can increase awareness of what's available in the DR, which tours & activities are worthwhile & well-done.

And maybe we can also warn people of poorly-conceived or -run tours & activities, fakes and/or those that, while professing to value the DR's beautiful natural resources & environment, are not actually run in a manner that is environmentally-friendly & may, in the long haul, hurt those very resources and the chances for long-term eco-tourism in the DR.

And for those places, tours & activities with good potential and/or striving to get it right, positive suggestions on how to improve things would be welcomed, and where we can, we'll try to pass them on.

So, join us with your views & reviews!

Best Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
My moms told me there's no such thing as a dumb question so here I go!! Would my visits to El Acuario Nacional or Los Tres Ojos count?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
JDub,
Sure, as long as the reiew arguably has a dimension relevant to the Environment Forum, I'd welcome it! If it is just a general like/dislike review, it's probably better to post it in the Travel Forum, ok?
Best Regards,
Keith

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
The best choice for a moderator!!!!

Keith R said:
JDub,
Sure, as long as the reiew arguably has a dimension relevant to the Environment Forum, I'd welcome it! If it is just a general like/dislike review, it's probably better to post it in the Travel Forum, ok?
Best Regards,
Keith
Brother Keith, congrats on being the moderator for the environnment forum, they cound not have made a better choice. Since I joined this site you have been a true, unbiased and friendly companero. Because it's you, I will post in that forum. Actually, I will go right now. If you give that forum 1/2 of what you give a person when they need an advice, that forum will be a COMPLETE HIT!!!!!!!. Hurray for Keith.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Mil gracias for the kind words, Miguel. Come join us in the Environment Forum! I would heartily welcome your participation. I figure there's lots of folks on DR1 who have something to contribute in this field, but who may not have spoken up about it much before because they did not have a good spot for it.

Yeah, I'm giving it a few minutes of my time. ;) In fact, maybe too much -- my wife's already complaining about being a "eco-widow." LOL But I want to give something to the DR & do what I can to help it, and this is one way I think I can.
Un abrazo,
Keith

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Keith,

We went whale watching laet February through the "Tourismo" company. We paid $110.00 per person, which I thinkk was a bit pricey. We did make the mistake of booking it through our "tour rep". I'm sure we could have gotten the same trip for much cheaper on the beach or through some 0f the folks on the street in Cabarete. Live and learn.

That being said, we had a great time. We saw lots of whales and really felt that we were not short changed in our time on the water to observe them. I would say that anyone who even "thinks" they might be suseptible to seasickness should aviail themselves of the free dramamine that is offered before the boat departs. I was the only one in our party to do this, and none of us got sick, but lots of others on the boat did. Including one of the "guides". I can;'t even imagine what a miserable day it would have been if one of us had gotten sick.......

They picked us up at our hotel early in the morning and we stopped for breakfast a little after Rio San Juan. The breakfast was good with scrambled eggs, homefries, sausages and bacon and fresh fruit and good coffee. Nothing "exceptional" but a good breakfast. The place was clean with clean bathrooms. Then it was on to Samana where we stopped briefly to take some pictures of Samana bay.

The boat was large, with plenty of room, a decent "head/bathroom". Again,they offered dramamine which I strongly suggest everyone take as a precaution. It can get pretty rough out there, and even if you think you are not suspetible to seasickness, it is worth it.

We spent 2 1/2 to 3 hours on the water and saw lots of whales. Trying to get pictures is another matter LOL. I would suggest that people just sit back and enjoy. The chances of getting pictures are slim to none. I've got lots of pictures of peoples' heads but only one of an actual whale, and that isn't so good anyway.

We certainly felt that we spent lots of time on the water and had lots of time to see the whales.

We then stopped at Caya Laventado (my husband and I had been before) for lunch which was decent, again, nothing to write home about, but good. You can also buy lobsters and such and also a good Pina Colada or Cocoloco. They also provided tickets for bottles water and you could also buy beer(Presidente) which was not outrageously expensive.

Honestly, I love Caya Laventado. You definitely get the feel that "you aren;t in Kansas anymore". It is BEAUTIFUL.

One word of caution though. BRING YOUR OWN TOILET PAPER. That goes for just about any "excursions" off of resort or tourist area. I have become so accustomed to doing this, that I don't really think about it anymore. LOL

They then take you back to your hotel/resort, with a brief stop at a tourist trap that does have "bathroom facilities". Again, if you are squeamish, it would be best if you are prepared.

We really enjoyed our day, even though we felt afterward that we over paid for it. We got what we wanted and enjoyed our day.

Rose

P.S. I would encourage everyone who is staying at an AI to get "off the resort" AT LEAST ONCE to experience the beauty of the country that you are visiting, and most especially, the hospitality of the people of the country that you are visiting. Their advice and friendliness is what makes the DR so special to visit.

Last edited: