Edible things that will GROW

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have recently bought a piece of land next to our current house & intend having Fruit trees at one end & a vegetable plot at the other.

At the moment I grow cherry tomatoes reasonably prolifically, have a banana tree, 3 avocado trees, Lime, orange & grapefruit trees in growing stages, & am gtting fairly good returns on the Capisium (green peppers) I have planted.

The plot for vegetables will be approx 1200 sq ft (40 x 30), in a sunny area & has good to excellent black soil to grow on. I intend putting up a fine weave wire fencing & top to keep out birds, rodents & theiving hands etc & hope to pass on the produce to those in need whom we come across (after our Muchacha & gardener of course!!).

Does anyone have the equivalent of an American or European "Green Finger" who would be happy to pass on advice as to what veges to concentrate on? Where - in the Puerto Plata area - would be the best place to get seeds & advice from? My investigations, trials & hopes have been somewhat less than successful so far!! If you live local & want the job of giving me a free design/layout of the plot, just holler - Cold Beers or juices are nearly always available at the Bush household!! - Grahame.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Link

I am neither affiliated nor have I have direct knowlege of the info in this link. I came across it looking for cash crops that I think would work in the Tropics. I am a Cook by profession so I was wanting to produce things that could be sold to restaraunt that catered to Americans and Europeans. I think they may have some useful info though.
John
http://www.echonet.org/

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would suggest

Get rid of one of the avocado trees
Put in a good mango tree for fruit and juice
Get a "cereza" tree. These are really acerola trees but huge providers of Vitamin C, plus they are very hardy bushes.
Set up a wire trellis and grow passion fruit, nearly year round.

If you make raised beds, you can grow leaf lettuce, carrots, radishes, salad or italian tomatos, Cabbage (with a lot of spraying for bugs, mind.)

If the soil is loose, plant some Yuca and batata.

Good luck farmer Bush!

HB

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
I can tell you are a hillbilly

Hillbilly I will say this. Every WV boy I meet somehow has a mater patch and I think you fit in.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Grahame!
My dad is a terrific gardener and his backyard here in Toronto is always overflowing with fresh vegetables. I'll check with him and let you know. When he was in POP this past summer, he began plotting his own garden (in his mind only, for now). If I can still find some seeds, then I will bring some down for you.

Hey, don't forget to plants some herbs (parsley, basil, rosemary). Oh, and mosquitos hate lavender. Plant some and you can bring clippings into the house.

Drop me a line,
Maryanne

P.S. I agree with Hillbilly. You must have a cherry tree! I miss those cherries.....excellent source of vitamin C.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
In our little plot in JD we grow....

parsley, endive, rucola, swiss chard, chicory, basil, eggplant, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions (scallions), passion fruit, plantain,banana, sour orange, beans and leaf lettuce.
The bugs do take their share but we don't spray.
Most of our seeds are brought from Canada or Italy however I have bought some at Ferreteria Americana in Santo Domingo.
Maybe someone could send some down to you BB.
Good luck.....there's nothing better than going out to the garden to harvest supper!!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
MommC,
That's the idea of the fruit trees - any of our houseguests wanting breakfast goes outside & picks their own off the trees. Saves me having to cook things like Bacon & eggs, fried potatoes mixed with veges etc. .... Yuk, all that high colesterol stuff!!

Thanks for the info so far folks - keep the ideas coming & I'll try to keep you all updated on what success I have. No offers on doing my gardening for me yet????? My back won't stand the aches & pains & anyway, it will interfere with my golf sessions with HB!!!! - Grahame.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Howdy

BushBaby said:

Thanks for the info so far folks - keep the ideas coming & I'll try to keep you all updated on what success I have. No offers on doing my gardening for me yet????? My back won't stand the aches & pains & anyway, it will interfere with my golf sessions with HB!!!! - Grahame.

BB,

I would volunteer but am currently waiting for winter here
in New Jersey. Besides if my wife saw me working in your
garden, she would get IDEAS and make me garden here. lol.
Good Luck,

JD

JBL

Oct 20, 2002
Hi,
I may be interested in bartering some gardening for a small share of the fruits & vegetables. I'll be returning to Sosua in Jan. and expect to be there long-term. Where do you live? If you're interested in discussing this further please pm me. Thanks, Judy