El Catey Airport Samana: Believe when you see it!

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
source: DominicanRepublic.com

note last line about airport being completed by january of next year. we'll see, but don't bet the bank on it as the airport likely won't be finished and the bank will go bust! but hey, december is the time for miracles!

1. Samana power lines will be ready in January

The administrator for the transmission system of the Dominican Corporation of
State Electric Companies, Martin Robles, announced that by January 2004 the high
tension power lines that connect the Samana province with the rest of the
country will be fully completed. This power line connection is part of the
so-called Electricity Highway, which will generate up to 200 kilowatts at the
electric center on the Samana peninsula. Robles made the announcement during a
workshop, organized by the Senate?s Permanent Commission on Tourism, which
centered around the various infrastructure projects that the region requires in
order to achieve better tourism and commercial development. The activity also
counted on the participation of Dominican Airports executive director Astrid
Diaz Menicuci, who said that the El Catey International Airport, being
constructed between the provinces of Sanchez and Samana, will be completed by
December 2005.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
You betcha, believe it when you see it! More pie in the sky bs from the Bald Wonder's cronies.

At this time they will certainly have to perform miracles to have the power lines ready by January. As of a few weeks ago there were no high tension lines nor towers east of Nagua and although I don't know about west of the city, but I suspect it's the same. I'll be going to Nagua again soon and I'll make a special effort to look for signs of progress.

And for the airport, my sources tell me that the IADB loan to build it is on indefinate hold and will stay that way for a while. Even if the money were released tommorrow, it would still take 2 years (or January 2006) before the airport would be ready.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Was it last January or the January before that this international airport was to be open? Not in my lifetime.

swake

Oct 27, 2002
arroyo barril

Why isn't the Arroyo Barril airport expanded? It's centrally (in Samana) located and already has a solidfloor runway??

Why the hell construct a third airport on such a small piece of land?? Voodoo-economics?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Swake, this is a dead issue. Arroyo Barril airport too confined by sea, highway and the nearby mountains. Night flights would not be permitted.

Also, it is not centrally located in an area that runs from San Francisco de Macoris to Las Galeras.

It presently can handle American Eagle and similar flights, but until there are more hotels, it is not worthwhile for Amercian Eagle to offer regular service there.

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Thanks Ken.
So it will remain by bus for a while. We always rented a car to Las Terrenas. Nice road especially past Cabrera, and the hilly road to LT from Sanchez is truly gorgeous. Shock horror only to hear that some tourists were robbed at gunpoint there. Shame...

mtt

Nov 7, 2003
hum

Road to Las Terrenas is, specially coming down, tricky. Almost unsafe. You need very good brakes. And if you get a flat, most be very difficult to change it. It's better to get there from Limon, where road isn't so uphill--neither are your nerves.

Jan 1, 2002
Arroyo Barril is a error from gov.

but this here.

and the samana tourims future is that.

many private flight will arrive in samana because there many proyect in constructions for artist and other famous people, like arabian night. Shakira, Jackson, Iglesias and others will have their vacations place there.

and them

el portillo.
flights for domestic flights to Las terrenas/El Portillo/El limon area

samana international
flights from all world.

arroyo barril
some regional flights, and private flights, and a possible pilot school.

in the future samana will have many private flights, arroyo barril is good for this type the flights.

and the 3 airports will have moving