Gas lamps are radioactive...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Clara,
Very interesting article about something I had never heard about before. But what caught my eye was this:

Coleman, the best-known U.S. manufacturer, phased out thorium gas mantles in the early 90s. (Today its mantles are made with nonradioactive yttrium.) Other firms still sell thorium mantles but have moved their factories to developing countries.

The factory workers arguably have a lot more to worry about than you, your wife, or the Girl Scouts.

Please, please someone assure me that there are currently no mantle manufacturers in the DR, or if there is, it's Coleman & its yttrium mantles!!!

Also, I wondered what material is utilized in the wicks found in the lamps I most commonly saw/used in the DR -- what we in the States (for some reason) commonly call "hurricane lamps" ... Anybody know?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I burned a lot of those mantels!!

They are still available at most hardware stores...In fact I am going to get me a new kerosene lantern asap.

We still keep 3 of the more normal lamps filled and ready to be used...

HB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
HB

If suddenly an arm starts growing out of your forehead don't say that we didn't warn you. :confused:

What worries me is the disposal of the mantles. Radioactive waste, just what we needed.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Hurricane Lamps...

Nothing but a cotton wick on a hurricane lamp..If you grow a third arm I will try to get you into a freak show if you give me a commission......Kidding..:) LOL PAM

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Commercially grown tobacco is radioactive. You smoke, you ingest radiation. Is it enough to make a difference?...Whos knows.

The average American receives 10 times the radiation exposure from Natural gas than from lanterns.

well, thats good news to hear. "now you know the rest of the story". But anything can kill you now, just about. With this Hightech age, I'm just waiting to see the results of there affect in 30 years.

Well, the factories moving to other countries, just leads one to believe.......