Robbed at gun point on Las Terrenas road

jimijazz

Dec 5, 2003
Dear DR1 readers,

This is a warning for those planning to visit the Sanchez-Las Terrenas area. On 29 November 2003, at 5 pm, three friends and I were held up at gun point on the Sanchez-Las Terrenas road.

We were stopped at an unmarked senic overlook with a wonderful view of the Samana bay - about 2 or 3 kilometers above Sanchez. As we were out of our car, taking pictures, two Dominican men in their mid 30's came out of the forest firing guns. They made off with our wallets and took the rental car.
Luckily, no one was hurt and there were very friendly locals who came to our rescue shortly afterwards.

I do not believe this was the first time this has happened to tourists - as there were other bullet shells from the same guns lying around at the site where we pulled off.

The police in Sanchez were extemely unhelpful and rude. They took no action and in the end they refused to issue a police report. They instructed us to go to the police in San Francisco, who were just as corupt and unhelpful. In fact, dealing with the police was worse and more frustrating than being carjacked!

As a warning - do not get out of your car at the overlook on the Sanchez-Las Terrenas road. There is only one spot to pull off the road on the bay side of the mountains. Since the police are ineffective and lack resources, I believe the crimnals act with impunity and may stalk this site again.

Otherwise, this is a really beautiful place.

mereco

Jun 5, 2003
sorry to hear that!
did they take much cash?
i hope the rest of the trip was better

:bandit:

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Sorry to hear this!
We always used to stop at this site as well, fortunately nothing happened so far. But thinking it over, it's a perfect place to rob tourists: Not too much traffic, noone else around, and a car with tourists stopping about every 10 minutes.

Too bad that your experience with the police was just like I would have expected it.
Probably they are making a percentage of those actions, if it wasn't one of them, making some extra money in their free time.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I've stopped there a few times. Good thing noone came out of the woods then. They would have had a big suprise for sure! OP'll say no more.
Its a shame that such a beautiful spot is tainted. That is..it 'taint no good!
Always thought the police wwere more concerned about the tourists safety.

jimijazz

Dec 5, 2003
Thanks to those responding to my post. I hope my mistfortune won't be repeated on others. Please remind those that might be going to Samana that this type of thing has happened and to be careful.

FYI - the theives did get away with a good amount that day - about $700 US. Oh well, it is more important that they were not violent (besides firing guns) and we are all safe.