What is Causing the Rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Won't the rain ever stop?

What is responsible for the current miserable weather on the north coast? Is it the after affects of Odette? A low pressure area that has dropped down from the north? A combination of the two? Something else?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Read about a cold front, but the satellite photos show clear skies so despite the cool temperatures, the sun should shine soon. In Santo Domingo it is also overcast this morning. No rain, though.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
The satellite photos are actually showing large areas of low clouds across the west Atlantic and north Caribbean. Look closely at the images below and you'll see a slightly lighter colored shading over the north 1/2 of the island and the ocean to the north. This is cloud cover:

tempsat.jpg

The reason for the low clouds and rain is cold air following in behind a strong cold front. The air over the Caribbean is laded with moisture. If it is cooled the moisture condenses out and clouds and rain are the result.

tempsat2.jpg

This cold front passed through the same day Odette crossed the island and eventually absorbed Odette. You can see the trailing edge of this front southeast of Puerto Rico in this image, and the large bright white blob along the front to the northeast is the low pressure area that once was Odette. This is the same cold air mass that caused the weekend blizzards across the eastern United States.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Wish I Knew!

The wet weather is really slowing down a couple of construction projects here.

Bottom line is that anytime a strong surge of cold air falls through this area this time of year we have to wait at least a few days for the air mass to moderate, or warm, a bit so the moisture in the air from all these oceans nearby can be absorbed back into atmosphere. When that happens at least the days can be sunny with the rain chances increasing again at night as the atmosphere cools.

Then it's just waiting for the next system to drop cold air across the island for the next surge of rain. Eventually as we pass the equinox and days get longer, the trailing edge of the cold air systems moving off the coast of North America will stay north of us, and we will once again be increasingly in the Easterly trade winds for more and more of the time, and the sun will be out normally.

Then we start talking about tropical waves again. LOL.

Tom (aka XR)

Dec 9, 2002
I've just got back to the UK a few hours ago, and I tell you, I wish I was still in the warm rain over there rather than the freeeeeezing cold here;) ;)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
This reminds me of San Francisco not Cabarete

Fog, drizzle, and right now light rain between the foothills here and the ocean. Can't see the beach 3 miles away. 1.05" since yesterday, now 75 degrees though.

tempxana.jpg

Ocean? View from Xanadu 11:45AM on December 8, 2003

Tom (aka XR)

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
weather

For how long has the weather been like it is? Is it just the time of year?

We are planning 2 week trip around June the 7th onwards, what is the weather like at this time of year (generally)?

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
I think it's caused by

clouds and moisture, plus a little wind. It doesn't take a meteorologist to tell you that it will pass. So quit bitchin and remember, you chose to live in this place. If it sucks too much, you can come up to my zone and we'll go skiing.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Another cold front will be leaving Florida in the early hours of Thursday. Not all cold fronts make it this far; let's hope this one doesn't. We need at least a month of sunshine.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Re: Wish I Knew!

XanaduRanch said:

Then it's just waiting for the next system to drop cold air across the island for the next surge of rain. Eventually as we pass the equinox and days get longer,

Tom (aka XR)

Sorry if I'm splitting hairs here, but by "equinox" you actually do mean (winter) solstice, right? (which occurs around Dec. 20 - 21st). Or did I misunderstand and you're referring to the March 22 - or thereabouts - (spring) equinox?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Druids will be a dancing

The Winter solstice will be sometime this weekend, I guess.....

I have a few runes to carve and a bat or two to kill. Need some frog's hair and the teeth of a goose....

"I burn my candle at both ends
It will not last the night.
But ah my friends and
oh my foes,
It gives such a lovely light"

HB:)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
The sun is shining ...

... and the rains wandered off - just like the Druids, and this thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.