Driving from Santiago to Bavaro

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hello folks.

This topic has probably been beaten to death but I couldn't find anything reliable in the archives.

Can anyone help me get from Santiago to Breezes Punta Cana??? I will have a rental and intend on doing the drive. I hear it's about a 6 hour drive.

I know how to get to the capital and get on Avenida Las Americas. It's from that point forward where I'm afraid of getting lost.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Muchas gracias!!!

P.S. - I was originally going to Barcelo Bahoruco in Barahona. After reading all the negative reviews I opted for Breezes Punta Cana. They tell me I did the right thing.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you can get on the road to the airport

You can get to B?varo.

Keep going East. When you get to La Romana, follow the signs to Higuey, when you get to Higuey, follow the signs to Bavaro.
Piece of cake...

Start early.

HB

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Bavaro

Keep going ahead to Las Americas Avenue
untill get Juan Dolio then keep going untill get San Pedro
you will see a bridge as soon as you got to San Pedro the a rotary just cross by and keep straigh up by the end of that Avenue you will see a Zona Franca just turn left and keep going

There many advertising at the road say the Kilometer and how to get there. When you get to la Romana just ask in the gas station
people can explain you.

Just be care with some police who are stopping people on the road to ask money and some times you never know if they are Police or not. Just stop in gas station to ask.

As soon you get Higuey turn right at the end of the avenue, keep going ahead untill pass the bridge and the police station in Otra Banda then you will see a street light that is the only one after the police station "Otra Banda" turn right and keep going ahead that avenue will take you to "Cruze de Beron" just turn left in the "Cruze the Beron" and keep going straigh for 20 minute straight untill pass Barcelo and Melia Hotel.

3 minute after melia Hotel there a is a little intersection that in the corner there a green store Called Los camellos bar just turn
left you are already in Bavaro Ocean Breezes. Local people are very friendly over there you can ask in the street.

PS: Don't take short cut unless you are going to some one who knows the road. Take care con Los Motoconchos en Higuey.

good luck,
Homer simpson "El Chupa Cabras"

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Which Breezes ????

Note: I stole some of my previous post to fatten up this one.

There is some confusion on my part as to which Breezes/Breezes resort is your destination, if there is a second Breezes at all. There is the Superclubs Breezes, formerly the LTI Sol de Plata, Punta Cana. The Bavaro Ocean Breezes a name mentioned in a prior post is actually the Ocean Bavaro and the Ocean Cana, which was named the H10 Resort, in El Cortecito. I got caught up in this name shell game and also thought it was Ocean Breezes until I checked it out today.

Best Route: Las Americas to Boca Chica, Boca Chica via Autovia del Este to San Pedro de Macoris, Just before San Pedro, keep to the left of the highway and take the cercumnavigacion around San Pedro towards the Cementos Mexicano plant, you know you are in the area when you see on your right the new bridge under construction. At the end of this highway section you will see a Jersey barrier blocking the access to the new bridge, take the ramp to your right and continue to circle to your right until you see the plant in front of you, continue toward the plant. About one mile past the plant and the existing bridge, bear left at the fork in the road. You follow the road to its end by its intersection with the road exiting from San Pedro to La Romana. Turn Left and it is about 27 km to La Romana from that point. When you enter La Romana, You will go past a Shell station on your left, then a Texaco station, keep to the right of the road, when you arrive at the signal lights turn right and follow the signs indicating Higuey. The city road will take you over some railroad tracks and past the new Jumbo (grocery, dept, fast food, clean restrooms) store on your right, continue direct over the bridge. You will come to a fork in the road, bear to the left towards Casa del Campo, Altos de Chavon, and the airport. It is about 35 km to Higuey. Continue on this road past the airport and you will be entering a gorge with a bridge over the Rio Chavon, after that you will then pass the El Limon Commercial Center on your left, among the many stores there is a grocery store and clean restrooms. A mile or so down the road proceed left past the road to Bayahibe. The road will be taking some gentle turns from this point on as you view the cane fields on your left. You will arrive at another fork, bear left to Higuey, a sign is posted there, and just past the fork you go over some railroad tracks. Proceed to Higuey When you enter (careful city traffic-many motoconchos) Higuey past the auto dealers, look for the Isla gas station on your right, bear to the left and take the left fork in the road at the traffic signals. You will be heading toward the Basilica, which you will see it directly in front of you. Continue straight past the front of the Basilica and position yourself into the right lane. You will arrive at a "T" intersection, you will turn right. The distance to Punta Cana from that point on is about 45 km. This road will bring you past the commercial district and over a small bridge. It will wind past a Shell gas station on your right towards La Otra Banda, a little satellite pueblo of Higuey. When you arrive at the only signal light in the pueblo, turn a hard right, this portion of the road will have you exiting La Otra Banda and meandering the road to Punta Cana/Bavaro. Careful this road twist and turns, has many buses and trucks traveling at speeds above or below what the condition of the road allows (normal conditions). You will ultimately arrive in Veron or Beron; the locals can't arrive at a way to spell it, at the intersection under a cast iron gate arching over the road by the Shell station/Burger king. You will turn left and pass the police station and head for the resort. At this point the road takes a serious change of pavement, too many potholes to count, people have died here, proceed with caution.

The directions to the Superclub Breezes you will proceed from the police station for about 6 km till you pass the Metro Pak station on your right. You will take the approaching left turn a little beyond the Metro. Upon entering the left you will be going up a small hill. Follow the road through its twists and turns; watch out for the potholes, until you get to the Friusa intersection. When you arrive at the Friusa intersection you will have the Ferriteria Americana on your immediate right and across the intersection on the right will be the Texaco gas station. Proceed straight through the intersection and continue to follow the road for about 4 km. You will arrive to an intersecting road on your left; the signs at the intersection will direct you to Breezes and Ulverto Alto. Note: If you fail to notice the left turn you will continue directly to the RIU Palace Resort, if you arrive there, you can stay or turn back. After you successfully make the left turn proceed down the road for about 1 km to the next intersection. You will have to turn left or right, left to Ulverto Alto or right to Breezes. After making the right turn follow the signs.

From the new Duarte Bridge in Santo Domingo, the trip should be about three hours three and one half hours for a first timer. Happy motoring. Regards, PJT

Last edited:

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
El Tigre said:

Can anyone help me get from Santiago to Breezes Punta Cana??? I will have a rental and intend on doing the drive. I hear it's about a 6 hour drive.

I know how to get to the capital and get on Avenida Las Americas. It's from that point forward where I'm afraid of getting lost.

This is not an answer, but a new question....

So how does one get on Avenida Las Americas? I have gone from the capital to the airport three times, and I lost my way every time. Once I ended up at the San Isidro Airbase/Main Gate, and had to ask the sargeant or whatever at the gate for directions... Had to go back to ave. De Gaulle, passing all those LasVegas-lookalike brightly lit whorehouses, you know?? - just kidding

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Thanks all for the replies

PJT,

It sounds complicated with all the turns. My goodness it's overwhelming!!! But I'm up for the challenge. Unless someone can tell me that their is a bus I can take from Santiago to Bavaro. I think a bus will be less of a hasle. Is there such a bus???

Hillbilly made it sound so simple :cool: I liked his approach but then PJT thew in all those twists and turns :cool:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: Thanks all for the replies

El Tigre said:
PJT,

It sounds complicated with all the turns. My goodness it's overwhelming!!! But I'm up for the challenge. Unless someone can tell me that their is a bus I can take from Santiago to Bavaro. I think a bus will be less of a hasle. Is there such a bus???

Hillbilly made it sound so simple :cool: I liked his approach but then PJT thew in all those twists and turns :cool:

There are a few posts about a Higuey - Santo Domingo Express that of course must do the trip the other way to get back to Higuey, so maybe that's an option. Search on Higuey and Santo Domingo (you can't search on "bus" because it only has 3 letters) or someone can post a link.

For the cost of a rental car unless you are certain you need it look to hire a car and driver , perhaps it is less than a rental car contract, both ways.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Metro or Caribe Tours

I just thought about this.

Can't I take Metro or Caribe Tours to Higuey and then hop on a taxi from Higuey to the hotel? If this is possible can someone tell me how much a taxi would cost me? I think this is easier :cool:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Re: Thanks all for the replies

El Tigre said:
PJT,

H.B. has his point, simplicity is best sometimes, provided "ALL" the road signs are in place to guide you. PJT's detail response is the Gringo backlash to poor or no signage and Gringo empathy to the tourist not familiar with the country's road network. Regards, PJT

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Forget that idea...

I just called Caribe Tours and they don't travel to the east. Bummer.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Bummer relief

Reprint and edit of another PJT post.

You have a couple of options. There is the Santo Domingo to Bavaro bus (809) 686-0637 that leaves Sto Domingo from Juan Sanchez Ramirez #31 near Maximo Gomez, express direct to Bavaro/Punta Cana to the Friusa bus stop and then taxi beyond. The bus leaves at 7 am and 4 pm, the cost is 170 Pesos.

Your other option is to go to Parque Enriquillo in the Capital and catch an hourly express bus to Higuey for about 90 Pesos and then take a local mini-bus (gua-gua) for 45 Pesos to Bavaro/Punta Cana. A better option is a taxi from Higuey to Bavaro/Punta Cana that will cost about $400-500 Pesos. Set the price before getting in the taxi and be sure you know and the driver knows what your destination is.

Note: If you are traveling with baggage be advised the gua-guas from Higuey do not have stowage. What you have with you will have to be placed in you lap or you pay for the seat to stow it. Plus, the gua-guas are somewhat dirty and crowded all the time. Regards, PJT

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I vote for PJT

As "our" Resident Expert on things East!
those are two excellent posts PJT....

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Actually... I met PJT and his wife just a few days ago.
Great couple! True assetts for DR1 to have on the east coast.

I drove to Bavaro last Sunday just after all the rain.
Just before Higuey the road was flooded, it was like a river.
Only 4 wheel drives could cross and then it was scary, waist deep and flowing very fast!

Drove back that way yesterday and the road was perfect :)

Last edited:

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Re: Bummer relief

PJT said:
Reprint and edit of another PJT post.

You have a couple of options. There is the Santo Domingo to Bavaro bus (809) 686-0637 that leaves Sto Domingo from Juan Sanchez Ramirez #31 near Maximo Gomez, express direct to Bavaro/Punta Cana to the Friusa bus stop and then taxi beyond. The bus leaves at 7 am and 4 pm, the cost is about 140 Pesos.

Your other option is to go to Parque Enriquillo in the Capital and catch an hourly express bus to Higuey for about 90 Pesos and then take a local mini-bus (gua-gua) about 35 Pesos to Bavaro/Punta Cana. A better option is a taxi from Higuey to Bavaro/Punta Cana that will cost about $400-500 Pesos. Set the price before getting in the taxi and be sure you know and the driver knows what your destination is.

Note: If you are traveling with baggage be advised the gua-guas from Higuey do not have stowage. What you have with you will have to be placed in you lap or you pay for the seat to stow it. Plus, the gua-guas are somewhat dirty and crowded all the time. Regards, PJT

PJT,

I've been thinking about this all day today. I think I'm gonna leave the car in Santiago, hop on the first Metro or Caribe Tours to S.D., catch a GuaGua to Higuey and then take a taxi from there to the hotel.

What do you think??? Best choice??? :cool:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Taking one of the express buses services from the Capital to Higuey or Bavaro is reasonable. The taxi facility from the bus stops provides you with the ease of mind of knowing they will drop you off at the door of the resort.

One thing you do have to consider, because Breezes (LTI Sol de Plata) is located in a somewhat apart area of the Bavaro coast you are captive to the resort, because nothing else of interest is within walking distance.

If you are going east just to stay at the resort there is no transit problem. If you want to get out and around and you don't mind using a taxi service or become familiar with the gua-gua's time-tables and routes you are OK. If you want true independence you car is best to get around the area.

Regards, PJT

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I don't mind it being apart from everything else. I'm only going for three nights. I'll probably do one of the tours they provide but other than that I'll be indoors. Relaxing.

Once again. Thank you.

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
Hi

I don't post often because I usually don't have much to contribute as I've not lived here very long and prefer to learn from the others on this board. But on this occassion feel that I really ought to add my experiences.

If you can do without the car, as indicated in your last reply, TAKE THE BUS. I travel from Higuey to Bavaro every day (live in Higuey, work in Bavaro) and the road in parts is awful, some of the pot holes are big enough to get lost in. The road is narrow (one lane each way) and is very busy. The standard of driving is poor and there are frequent accidents. If you drive you will need the three days to recuperate and prepare yourself for the return journey.

Hope you enjoy breezes, several of my neighbours work there and I have heard it has excellent facilities.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
For PJT, Sharron, Hillbilly and others...

O.K. here is the summary of what I did.

I OPTED FOR THE BUS. (best idea if you don't want to get lost, it's easy to get lost).

I was told that a Metro leaves for S.D. at 5 A.M. (NOT). I got there at 4:30 a.m. and the ticket agents didn't get there till 6 a.m. bus left at 6:30 a.m. Got to S.D. around 8:45. Took a taxi to parque enriquillo (150 pesos). Took an expreso to Higuey at around 9:30 a.m. (100 pesos). Got to Higuey around 1 p.m. Sat down at a little cafeteria next to the expreso stop to eat lunch (150 pesos). I was told that they had voladoras going to bavaro every 15 minutes. I then decided to talk to a cab driver standing by waiting for passengers. Asked him how much he would charge me to go to Breezes. He asked 900 I managed to bring it down to 650 (didn't want to bother with Voladoras, bad experience on the Expreso from S.D. to Higuey. This gentleman with a foul underarm smell sat next to me).

We left for the hotel at around 1:40 p.m.

Now here is something that throws off the locals. This man was supposedly an experienced taxi driver and he told me he never heard of Breezes. I later found out that this was due to the fact that the hotel was previously LTI Sol De Plata. We got to the hotel around 3:45 p.m. this is because of the hotel name change. Everywhere we stopped no one knew where the heck was Breezes. We finally went to Melia Caribe and they told us Breezes was the old LTI Sol De Plata then the taxi driver knew exactly where to go.

In total this trip took me about 9 hours. I WAS LITERALLY DEAD when I got to the resort. HOLLY CRAP. This is someting I would NEVER NEVER NEVER do. I wish to say the experience was a good one but it wasn't. And I highly advise folks not to go to Bavaro this route. You are better off going to POP and catching a charter to Punta Cana. Something like this is offered by Air Santo Domingo (I later found out).

Thank you all who posted suggestions.

BTW - I will stick to the North Coast from now on. This is where I mostly went for AIs. I wanted a change of scenery - reason why I went to Bavaro.