Taking Money from US to DR

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
They take the money and put it in the Central bank and then you have to prove its origins. They also make it into Pesos and you get screwed on the x-rate. You are a loser either way.

Happened to someone I know. He got it back but lost 25% when all was said and done.

Scott

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Badpiece: If you must take USD to the DR (I don't know why you would at this point in time, but to each their own), I suggest you open an account in a Dominican bank (Banco Popular) and wire the money from the US in amounts of less than 10,000. It's relatively cheap (about 25 USD) per transfer. Don't take a large amount of cash with you, because as mentioned earlier if you fail to declare it they may confiscate it and give you all kinds of hassle to get them back. If you take it with you and declare it then you may have someone waiting outside to rob you. All it takes is a call from the "inspector" to his buddies to follow the the gringo, who's dressed a certain way, because he's carrying a large amount of cash with him. Either way the risk is not worth taking, IMO.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
suarezn said:
It's relatively cheap (about 25 USD) per transfer.

Suarzn,
I believe there is a bank that provides free international wire transfers. Not sure if there is a minimum amount. Perhaps Escott can advise.

Larry

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Charterone in the States has free international wire transfers.

He is talking about cash for some reason and not declaring it. Maybe he is trying to hide it from someone and wire transfer won't work.

You don't declare it to the US you declare it to the Dominican Republic on arrival. Just put it on the form and say you are buyin a piece of property. No sweat.