Cabarete Bay Hotel opened or not

traveller

Oct 27, 2003
We have been in touch with our travel agent and they contacted Sunquest and Starz Resort and they informed the agent that the Cabarete Bay Hotel is and has been up and running since Dec. 1. They have raised their prices but that doesn't effect anyone who has already purched their trip. Sooooo who do you believe??????

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi traveller,

Greetings from Nova Scotia.

In another thread you basically asked the same question.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27778

Peter (who FYI lives in Cabarete) on Dec. 6 said "Still lots of banging, sawing, digging, concreting and building going on behind the tin screens!!!" This is SIX DAYS after "Sunquest and Starz Resort and they informed the agent that the Cabarete Bay Hotel is and has been up and running since Dec. 1".

Sooooo, the question now is:

Who do YOU believe?

Good luck.

Gregg

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Very common occurrence

The dreadful AI experience made even more so by the partially complete state of either new hotels or renovations. And unless it is appalingly bad, nearly totally incomplete or unsafe the tour companies offer not one iota of $$$ for the noise, lack of facilities or inconvenience.

Lora Mc

Dec 5, 2003
Traveller, I received email Sat Dec 6 from Maria Estrella Director of Sales, Starz Resorts advising the new name of the Estrella del Mar and Cabarete Beach Hotel will now be called Azzurro Club Cabarete and it is scheduled to open "next week" Renovations include new larger pool, 2 more a la carte restaurants and sports facilities, we are booked Jan l2-26 so I hope all is well!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Starz Resorts runs a first class operation at its Sosua Bay and Victorian House properties in Sosua. We understand they want to offer similar services in Cabarete. Renovation inconveniences aside -- we are not aware of their scope -- this is likely to mean an upgrade for those who had booked previously.

Lora Mc

Dec 5, 2003
Ricktoronto

Anyone who has had a terrible experience with their trip, from Ontario Canada should take the time and check out the Travel Industry Council of Ontario's web site: www.tico.on.ca as it is quite lengthy, however, the do's and don'ts of licensed travel agencies are there. They also advise how their compensation fund work. Topics of coverage ie moving you from your destination hotel, construction etc. If all else fails, contact your lawyer, they are (should be) familiar with TICO. Also a lawyer's letter usually gets to the top of the pile first. Most travel agencies and tour companies do the best they can, however, when the rules are not followed, it is not the vacationer's fault. It is a very informative site, anyone who travels should check it out.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Let's stop the confusion..........

There is no such place as Cabarete Bay or Cabarete Beach Hotel!!
Estrella del Mar is now closed!!
The complex/resort will now be re-opening as Azzurro Club Cabarete - when? When they finish all the banging, sawing, concreteing, digging, building and paintting!!
Apparrently it will be a resort catering for the 19 to 49 year olds - that is: No kids and no old folks!!
Stop Press Today 12th December 2003:
The wriggly tin fences are still up along the whole beach frontage.
Work behind the fences is still going on. Some new roofing works appear to be complete and paintting has started. Talking of painting - want to stay inside a rainbow??? What a friggin' horrible colour scheme!! Every wall and column is a different bright Dominican surplus sttock paint colour!!!
Yeukkkkkkkkkkkk!!!
We are certainly not liking the look of the place! But I can always face the ocean as I pass by every morning - if they ever take the tin fences down?
Peter

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
stop the confusion..

Peter, are you sure that we all talk here about the same hotel?
Right, former Estrela de Mar is still being renovated and painted in even for Dominican way really strange colors, and will be opened in some time as "Azzurro Club Cabarete "

However, somebody else had asked me before about a "Cabarete Bay Hotel" and me, allthough living in Cabarete for almost 10 years had no idea what this guy was talking about. He told me then, that this is a fairly new hotel "right beside" Estrela de Mar. Since I'm not very often on this side of the beach I believed him, specially since in this area was in the last months a lot construction visible from the street - so I thought it might be somewhere there.

So now, we have there the new Viva Hotel (infront of the gas station). Maybe there is another Hotel, Cabarete Bay/Beach or whatever right in between Viva and former Estrela ?
Not too long ago I took the small path coming from the caves to the beach and I remember that I passed by a fairly huge new pool belonging to a new hotel (I'm not sure though, if this was allready Viva, but I think they were still under full construction at this time).

quaqualita

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Cabarete folks,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Here is the scoop on the Cabarete Bay Hotel, as I understand it.

When AMHSA still owned Estrella del Mar they built a new section (around 100 rooms). When Starz Resorts took over the property they marketed the older section as Estrella del Mar and the new section as Cabarete Bay Hotel. It never really was a separate property but was marketed that way.

Now it appears that they have folded the two back together and revovated them as "Azzurro Club Cabarete" as the most recent postings indicate.

Gregg

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Confused????

If we are talking about the empty and currently under enovation buildings which look more like barrack room blocks on the left of the old Estrells del Mar, now to be Azurro Club, as you look at the place from the street? Then this may well be the secondary hotel complex that's causing all the confusion. There certainly are no signs in Cabarete for a Cabarete Bay or a Cabaret Beach Hotel!!
Whatever is going on is still going on!!!! Neither of these places are yet open!!!!
The old building s on the left are a mess with two of the huge roof coverings all ripped off and open to the elements. There now appears to be a small road to the left of the new Azurro Club with a new block wall separating the two properties - and that's a mess too!! There are still cement bags stored around the old reception area of the old EDM so I would doubt if that is open and certainly no signs of any guests.
We'll just have to wait and see?
Peter

lindon

Dec 17, 2003
Cabarete Bay Hotel

Received email from Marie Estrella of Starz Resorts that construction is still going on but that Hotel was opening today (Dec17) with partial services and facilities.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Yes........

It is partially open and a portion of the beach side fence has been taken down! There's still constrction work ongoing but there are waiting staff about the place and I've spotted a couple of tourists in there!!!
The main new areas are still fenced off and work is still ongoing?
Peter

Taf

Nov 19, 2003
Estrella del Mar / Viva Tangerine

We were booked for 2 weeks over Christmas at ViVa Tangerine.
Today, we have been told that due to massive overbooking we can only stay at Estrella del Mar. It`s such short notice to change anything so I guess we`ll have to take it. But is Estrella del Mar functioning? - what does "partically open" mean ? it sound like it`s a massive construction site and we`ll be getting a bad deal -
I appreciate anyy info, thanks by the way for all the progress reports from Peter & Alex etc about the Viva. I was soooo looking forward to our trip there.
Tracey

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
???Cabarete Resorts???

(Estrella del Mar) Still no evidence of it being open or even being ready to open?? No signs up yet - no identification of the new name "Club Azurro Cabarete" either. Beach fence is still erected! Still construction work and more garish painting going on!!!
The portion which is open from the beach view is very small but there are staff setting up tables under the shaded areas at 7.00am every morning. Beach loungers are stacked nearby. But at that time of the morning we do not see many tourists so I cannot comment on how busy they are??
The left hand side portion, looking from the street, is still being roofed!!! Can't see that being open in the very near future as there looks like there is still a lot of work to do to make it habitable??
Viva Tangerine has a new sign at the front called Wyndham Tangerine?? There are torists there at the moment but it does not look full when I walk by on the beach early in the morning?? Hlywud will be pleased to learn that they seem to have dug up the rear lawn and solved the small problem with the bubbling stuff???!!! Now they've just dug up and done the same adjacent to the boat/canoe area??!!
Will try and find out more and post results but I'm a bit busy at the moment and don't have too much time to go ferreting about in resorts - Sorry folks.
Peter

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Estrella Del Mar - Club Azurro - Cabarete

OK - it seems to have opened yesterday afternoon as there were people in the place in the early evening and cars in the car park???
Obviously still some construction going on and the beach fence is still erected!! Be prepared for limited services!! Bt it looks like they're geting there??
Sorry, but no more info as I'm going to be a bit busy over the Xmas period!
Best wishes to all and hope to see a few of you on Xmas morning??
Peter & Alex

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Azzurro Club Cabaret

I hope the Azzurro Club Cabaret is not just for 19 to 49 year olds. We are there for a week from January 26 to February 2 and have a 6 and 10 year old in our party.

I am hoping that all is well at this resort. I am sure that if there was a problem, Sunquest would contact us. I work in a travel agency and haven't heard anything about it not being ready. In the event of the resort not being finished, it is common to be upgraded to a nearby resort. I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything is okay. Any of you who are in the know, please update us when you receive new information. Thanks.

mjkalau

Dec 28, 2003
traveller said:
We have been in touch with our travel agent and they contacted Sunquest and Starz Resort and they informed the agent that the Cabarete Bay Hotel is and has been up and running since Dec. 1. They have raised their prices but that doesn't effect anyone who has already purched their trip. Sooooo who do you believe??????

Cabarete Bay Hotel or Not

I stumbled on this web site by accident and nearly got a heart attache when reading all the confusion surrounding the Cabaret Bay Hotel.

I have just a few minutes ago spoke to a senior customer service rep. from Sunquest which is the Canadian tour company promoting this property.

They assure me that the hotel is "fully" operational.
I was further told that it is the "Estelle Del Mar" that was being renovated and made bigger and opened as the Cabarete Bay Hotel. Why the name change? Who knows. But they did say that the description is wrong when it says it is a "New" hotel. So this, along with the name change may be causing some of the problem re information, even for the people who live there.
Sunquest knows that I will make the biggest stink ever if this is not correct. Because as of today, if this information I was given is not correct, they are commiting fraud. We have a very good friend in the Fraud Squad up her in Kitchener Ontario and he assure me that the tour companies cannot continue to promote and sell packages if these packages are not what he customer will get.
This does not mean everything has to be perfect and that there can't be some minor construction, repair etc. going on.

I was further told that Sunquest has received no complaints?

I hope this helps those of you who like us were really worried and clears up some of the misunderstanding.

My only concern now is if we can still go snorkeling from the hotel beach. It promotes it and it's coral reef and in fact one description gave me the impression that there were two sections and one was windier and calmer.

Any info. on this?
MJ

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
IT IS OPEN. But the name is now Estrella del Mar.

I was there yesterday with my brother and his family who are guests of the Starz hotel in Sosua but who spent the day at the Cabarete Hotel. Guests of one can use the facilities of the other.

Rooms are occupied and the dining facilities are, too.

But there is a lot of construction going on in various areas of the grounds with metal fences, etc., guarding the work. Nevertheless, the hotel is open and guests are staying there.

mjkalau

Dec 28, 2003
Hi Ken, thanks for the info. although it did not say too much.

Can you give me anymore info. What did the grounds look like?
Did any of you use the beach? Was that ok.

How were the dinning facilities and the food?

Anything else you can tell me would be appreciated.

I am still surprised that you said it was now called the Estrella Del Mar, when that is what is used to be called anyway and our travel agent said it definately was going to be called the Cabarete Bay Hotel.

The old section we were told is the now the Cabarete and the new section may have a different name. although even the old section is supposed to be getting a face lift.
Sunquest was not told this, they thought it was a completely new property. At least that is what their brochures say and what you are told by their travel agents.

We are going Jan. 27, which is almost a month, so hopefully some more of the kinks will be ironed out.
MJ from Ontario

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything is okay for my January 26th arrival. One thing I know for sure is that the weather there will be better than in Oakville.

The travel agents in my office said the older part of the hotel was called the Estrella Del mar and a newer section was added and the new secrtion was called the Caberet Bay Hotel. Now, supposedly it will be promoted under one name. I guess we won't know exactly what the name is til we arrive.

As long as there is sun and a beach, I will be happy!