Different Things to do in Puerto Plata/DR

Solo

Dec 10, 2003
Hey Everyone,

A bunch of my friends and I are coming to DR for a wedding. I have been reading the forums and trying to come up with some things to do outside of the resort im staying in (rio merengue).

Based on previous travelling in Mexico, im usually skeptical of the day trips etc offered from people within the resort as its usually twice the price.

I would love some info on any exciting sights/activities to see/do within the "real" DR, rather than just the resort or whatever the REP has to offer me.

Some info on great nightlife outside the resort would also be a plus.

Thanks very much for your help.

Solo

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Try a search

This site has a huge amount of information on what there is to do here, the best way to find the info is to search for it.

Stay well,
Amy

Solo

Dec 10, 2003
Thanks Amy,

I have been searching, but not finding the direct information that I need on some things.

I came across a post about some natural waterslides and waterfalls, but never came across a name for this area. If you know of this name, I owe you a drink :)

As I am only there for a week, which night/day is best to visit Cabarete.

Thanks again,

Solo

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Waterfalls & Slides

Natural Water Slides in Jarabacoa I hear. :cool:
In Puerto Plata there are a series of waterfalls ..... don't know much about it, only that there are 27 (?) waterfalls one after the other.
Best night for Cabarete is Friday or Saturday if you want to be out late. If not, then any night is good.

Stay well,
Amy

Dec 9, 2002
I don't know the name of the area where the waterfalls are that you are referring to Amy, but they are not far from POP. Lots of trips go there. There are 27 in total, but only the first 7 are easily accessible, although you do need to be quite confident in the water to get up and down them. Great fun though.

The quad bikes (or funny bikes as they call them over there) are great fun, and horseriding is good too even if you have never ridden before.

Don't book any trips with your holiday rep, book them with the guys on the beach, they are half the price.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
waterfalls

We have been to the '27 waterfalls' just outside puerta plata. We booked the trip with a company selling tours on the beach. The price was half that being offered in the hotels by the reps.
I suppose you could locate it and go on your own, but (unless its just me) i am not sure how far up them you will get without help. Its not really 'climbing' as such but put it this way, i dont think i could have got myself up there without the guides from the tour company giving me a lift.
Admittedly i do need to start going to the gym.

My wife is obsessed with the quad bikes, we have booked them before at the go-karting place just past Playa Dorada (if going from Puerta Plata to the airport). Beware of them breaking down, the mechanics who go with you are invaluable.

Also scuba diving was one of the best things about my last holiday. we did about 4 dives in Sosua with this company.....
Caribbean Marine Vacations
E-mail Address(es):
caribbeanmarine@yahoo.com (Diego and Felix were our instructors)

You will have a great time!

Solo

Dec 10, 2003
I love you DR1 Forums people :D.

Thanks so much for all the great info.

It just made me that much more excited for my holiday and I hope that if any of you are in DR when I am there, you will give me the pleasure of buying you a drink and not just at the all inclusive :p

Take care,

Solo

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: The waterfalls

FireGuy said:
are called the Damajagua Falls and are near Imbert. Dominicans hike up over the falls and cascade down - gringos try to go up the falls and only get part way (YMMV).

For scuba I always recommend Brad at Northern Coast Diving http://www.northerncoastdiving.comGregg
I also recommend Brad and N. Coast diving. My mileage varies also:)

I will try to get to the falls myself maybe next week.

Escott