Air Santo Domingo From Listin Diario

Transat

Jan 1, 2002
Yaqui N??ez del Risco

El domingo, viajando a Nueva York, comprob? que el pa?s cuenta con una l?nea a?rea por todo lo alto. Aviones nuevos. Todo en espa?ol. Comida abundante, hasta mang?. Bebidas dominicanas gratis para todos. Pel?culas de estreno y sonriente atenci?n en todo el trayecto. Se trata de Air Santo Domingo. El vuelo, a tiempo en salida y llegada, fue tan suave como el aterrizaje. Los pasajeros mostraban la sonrisa del cliente satisfecho. Pena que al llegar al aeropuerto Kennedy hubiera que esperar tanto por las maletas, no por culpa de la l?nea sino de la acumulaci?n, tras la nevada del s?bado, de vuelos rezagados y regulares. Ojal? que, con el apoyo del gobierno, como el que les dan sus gobiernos a las extranjeras, la excepci?n que es Air Santo Domingo se convierta en la regla. Larga vida a Air Santo Domingo: por fuera, de cara al cielo, nuestra bandera y por dentro un aire de Santo Domingo..

Yaqui is a famous TV producer in the DR his on the same category as Mr. Freddy beras goico.and that he has a very good opinion like this one about air Santo Domingo is really good for that airline.

SO thumps up to Air Santo Domingo for the good job.

eli

Jun 10, 2003
It is what i've been saying for a while now there is no way to compete against an airline which has received part of an 18 Bil. package in relief fromtheir government and worst of all is use part of those funds to compete against the local ones.

The local carriers here have an uphill battle due to the fact that the local authorities instead of relief they raise taxes to their earnings and on airport operational cost which does'nt help any.

Apr 26, 2002
There are no truly local carriers that serve the US. And they could not do so legally if they wanted to.

Aeromar was just a marketer of airline tickets and a ground handler. So is Air Santo Domingo. The planes themselves are owned AND operated by foreign companies. In Air Santo Domingo's case, it's an American company - TransMeridian Airlines.

I cannot think of an instance where this has worked in the long run.

eli

Jun 10, 2003
Porfio.

First let me start by mentioning that you are not inventing the wheel with your statement.

Second Aeromar And Air Santo Domingo do operate into the US due to the fact that they are the direct carrier in the case, TMA or AIR ATLANTA have no responsabilities with the passengers, now if the case was as you stated neither of the Dominican companies would require a USDOT section 402 exemption to operate into the U.S. however due to the fact that the country's aviation authorities find themselves placed in CAT2* Dominican operators are forced to use an indirect aircarrier by way of wetlease but the direct air carrier is still fully responsible for each and everyone of the tickets that are sold so they are not just marketers as you called them.

Last but not least is that the true marketers are the so called Dominican carriers like LAN, Aerocontinente,Viva Queen (or what ever else they want to call thenselves) which have absolutely no presence in the Dominican Republic other then truly fly a fith freedom flight (with the blessing of the authorities) and not give anything back to the community, at the least Aeromar and Air Santo Domingo own Dominican registered aircraft, are staffed by 100% Dominican and try to service the local public not just thinking or focusing on the seasonal markets.

Transat

Jan 1, 2002
Hi!!! Eli

I totally agree with you even if the aicrafts dont belongs to them THEY ARE DOMINICAN cabin personnel,management,and the most important the money the owners are Dominican the investors are Dominican,the only problem there is that they cannot operate its own aircrafts.

SO we must support air Santo Domingo perhaps CAT2 they are doing an EXCELENT JOB GOOD FOR THEM!

And let mi finish with this

Air Santo Domingo prestigio dominicano en el mundo!

And I think that it is truth!!!

Apr 26, 2002
Re: Porfio word

Stanley Joaqu?n said:
Porfio, buuf

You all took the time to flame me. But why did no one take the time to cite an example of a wetlease operation (like Aeromar or Air Santo Domingo) that has survived for more than a few months or years? I am confident that the marvelous aviation minds on this board can come up with at least one example.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
Those are charter companies - not wetleases by scheduled airlines (though I believe Apple Vacations has a "captive" airline). You are all aware of the difference between a "charter" and a "sheduled airline", and between a "scheduled charter" and a "scheduled airline".

So I repeat the question: Is there a wetlease operation "like Aeromar or ASD" that has survived in the long term?

I have confidence that the aviation brain trust here will come up with the answer. I ask because I truly cannot think of one myself.

Last edited:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Those are charter companies - not wetleases by scheduled airlines (though I believe Apple Vacations has a "captive" airline). Now I know you are all aware of the difference between a "charter" and a "sheduled airline", and between a "scheduled charter" and a "scheduled airline".

So I repeat the question: Is there a wetlease operation "like Aeromar or ASD" that has survived in the long term?

I have confidence that the aviation brain trust here will come up with the answers.

the answer is zero Porfio

Apple vacations does charter many flights and also has scheduled commercial flights through USA3000 which they own and which I recommend.

companies like TMA love these deals because they make money and if something goes wrong, guess who takes the blame? it's a win-win for them

like you have already mentioned, it does not pay off in the long run.

ASD can only hope for the DR gov't to be taken out of CatII( a pipe dream)

Apr 26, 2002
If Air Santo Domingo changed its modus operendi to that of a scheduled charter under US law (for tickets purchased in the US), I would fly them. All reports so far have been that they provide good service.

After all, I dislike AA's service in Sto Dgo and like arroz con pollo y Presidente tambien. I want to fly a carrier with a Dominican flag on it, even if the plane has an "N" registration number and the pilot says "bwennass dayass passenjaross". But I'm not going to risk my hard earned money under the current set up to do it.

Last edited:

Transat

Jan 1, 2002
Southern winds from argentina/Air Atlanta

Excel airways also Air Atlanta aircraft

But I must admit that your right porfirio when you talk about CAT2 and the DR.

But it is necessary to say here that ASD its doing a great job guys

Apr 26, 2002
Southern Winds has only been operating intercontintental flights using wetlease aircraft for the last two years.

Excel is, according to their website, a charter carrier.

Maybe Air Santo Domingo will be a pioneer in succeeding at this type of business. I just wouldn't bet my money on it.