University Levels

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
In the DR a lot of the younger people 'are students' or 'go to University' when you ask them what they do.

Also cities that in the Netherlands would not warrant it seem to have universities in them.

We have about one university for each million of inhabitants and that would be including the polytechnical universities that have a narrow focus when compared to the universal ones.

I can't really judge this for myself as I don't know sufficient of the level of education these people are getting but how do they rate vis-?-vis US or European university levels?

MD

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Good Question...

I once talked to an individual about pursuing my Masters here and I was told that with my US B.A I could teach the Masters at some of these Universities. Unsure of how true that is.... but if so then I feel really edumacated!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Another factor in the DR, Merengue Dutchie, is that students usually cannot afford to dedicate themselves to going to university full-time (as is the norm in Europe and North America). They just keep plodding on for years, taking one or two or three classes each semester, and must work full-time to live.

Also, the university graduation rate in the DR is really low, something on the magnitude of 10% or 15% (Hillbilly would know this best of all, and can give the definitive answer here).

It's no wonder that after receiving their degree here, so many can call themselves "Doctor" with what amounts to just a bachelor's degree anywhere else.

At UASD, most of their classes are taught at night for this reason, and also why they have an enrollment of about 130,000 per semester.

One reassuring thought for the future is that so many dominicans do recognize the importance of getting more education, and they get what is available and affordable to them. Besides, if you didn't have a job but could take one or two classes, would you rather describe yourself as "unemployed" or as "I'm a student at the university" ???

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
While it is true that the state university and a handful of private universities turn out hundreds of students that do not even have a real high school level, they also have produced very good graduates. But, the level of graduates is overall much higher at a handful of private universities. Graduates complete their studies and have no problem inserting themselves into European, Canadian or US universities for masters studies and succeeding at this. Thousands of Dominicans that complete their undergraduate studies have gone on to carry out masters or doctoral studies abroad with much success. If the schools were not good, there would not be so many Dominicans making the crossover with little problem, despite the difference in language. Summing up: There are universities and there are universities. The same way that there are students, and there are students.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Academia Dominicanae

Dutchie: the very best students are good students anywhere. What dolores said is quite accuate.

A good professional person can generally function almost any place.

At some schools, the "institution" is really just a business that makes the "owner" or 'rector' a very wealthy person. It is also a platform for political, social and economic pronouncements. Other schools are directed at people with life experience but who are years past university age. these are somewhat styled after the Open universities that were popular in Europe many years ago....

At certain private universities, the idea of graduate studies in the United States or Europe is taken for granted. Sometimes, a degree is just a piece of paper to satisfy Father or Mother...

As to graduation rates, the PUCMM graduates nearly 12% of its student body, a percentage thaompares favorably with the best universities in the United States.

HB