tours from P.C. to Samana for whale watching?

Bonnie

Oct 26, 2003
Does anyone know if there are tours from hotels in Punta Cana to Samana for whale watching in January?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Anything is possible and yes you can get a tour. Most of the resorts in the P.C. area have tour related services on site. However, because of the distance and transportation logistics involved the tour may not be practical time wise unless you want to take an overland trip of 7-10 hrs to Samana from PC, it would all depend on the intinerary the tour company draws up for you. If you have deep pockets you can opt to fly from PC to the North Coast or overland from PC to Sabana del Mar and take the ferry to Samana.

Your best option is to contact the resort you are going to and request assistance setting up a tour with a tour operator. I have posted links to other member posts to provide additional information for you.

Regards, PJT

Links:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27655&highlight=Punta+and+Samana

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15230&highlight=whale+and+tours

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Bonnie said:
Does anyone know if there are tours from hotels in Punta Cana to Samana for whale watching in January?

PJT is bang on - you have to remember that to get by bus or car (e.g. by road) to Samana from PUJ you have to essentially go to Santo Domingo then north thru Santiago then east to Samana, unless they do a trip to the ferry and go on foot across the bay. That's 7-10 hours EACH WAY as well, don't forget.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Contact Kim Beddall of Victoria Marine/Whale Samana. I belive she has some flyin groups that come for the whale watching. Additionally, I know that at least one time she had some groups that came from PC by bus and were picked up on the other side of the Bay of Samana. In any event, contact her to see if she has any tour groups coming from the PC area.

Incidentally, she is the very best person to whale watch with. She started whalewatching in Samana Bay about 20 years ago and is the only excursion provider who really knows about the whales and cares about them. For the rest, it is just business.

Kim's email address is kim.beddall@usa.net

Bonnie

Oct 26, 2003
Thanks to all who replied to my question. Yes, I have read the previous threads, and don't hold much hope for making it to the Samana peninsula, since we won't drive so many hours for a day trip. I will e-mail Kim to inquire about any tours from Punta Cana, just in case I'm wrong.