3. TW
4. Baez Figueroa
5. Pepe Fanjul's gardener

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do you want "5",or "10"?

What is the "Difference",between "Live There",and "Spend most of their time there"?

Who are "They"?

What is "Who's" net worth?..The "rich" dominicans,or the "They" who may or may not,"Keep Track of That"?"What"?

Wondered about "What"??

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC:cool:

All that "ESL" money,and for "WHAT"!

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Re: my list...

arturo said:
1. Golo
2. Golo 100
3. TW
4. Baez Figueroa
5. Pepe Fanjul's gardener

Aren't the top three related?????? Hehehehe........I heard they all look similar too;)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
SancochoJoe

Here is my suggestion. Take this as an assignment and go out and do the research on this, and come back to us with the answer.

TW

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I hate naming names but

The Vicini family(but dont let the name fool you, there are two branches, one has money the other doesnt) are by far the richest dominicans here or abroad.
I am trying to catch up but at this rate it'll probably take several dozen lifetimes. The only chance I got is finalizing my time travel project and inventing some dumbass-defective program called windows!

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
How to determine who is really rich, hmm, good question. I worked once with American Express Platinum and I was always surprised to see that so many people, who appeared to be rich, were financial basket cases, owing hundred of thousands, months behind in payments. It was a great learning experience on how the real world works. Experiences deceive. I'm sure this is most true in the Dominican Republic, also.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
the ones with $ don't flaunt it like the many wannabes

Neither FORBES nor FORTUNE magazines have ever published re. wealthy individuals in the DR ( I think having over US$1 billion in known assets is the minimum criterion to get mentioned), however it would be safe to assume that the following people are not far from that:
Dominicans;
the Vicini family (Casa Vicini, truly old $ and diversified portfolio)
Hu?scar Rodr?guez (Cemento Cibao/Gas Caribe, and much more)
the Le?n family (E. Le?n J?menez/ Marlboro, Presidente beer,etc.)
Spaniards;
Pep?n Corripio (Grupo Corripio/ retail, banking, media,etc.)
Julio Iglesias (self-absorbed aging pop music megastar)
Cuban-American;
the Fanjul brothers (Central Romana/Casa de Campo/lots of sugar in Florida)

Keep in mind that all of these folks have substantial investments well beyond the local economy (Wall Street, Swiss accounts,etc.)
There are many other wealthy people but not at this top level, and don't underestimate the baseball fortunes of folks like A-Rod, Pedro, and Sammy.
-Tordok

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Re: the ones with $ don't flaunt it like the many wannabes

Tordok said:

Keep in mind that all of these folks have substantial investments well beyond the local economy (Wall Street, Swiss accounts,etc.)
There are many other wealthy people but not at this top level, and don't underestimate the baseball fortunes of folks like A-Rod, Pedro, and Sammy.
-Tordok

I see that you mentioned the baseball players. I'll give you this just so you can get an idea of what those rich people would think of those athletes, Pedro in particular:

Pedro wanted to get an apartment on the exclusive Anacaona Avenue in front of the Mirador Sur Park, our Central Park. I won't mention the building's name but the architect is well-known in Dominican power circles. The rent is over U$ 10,000 a month! He was continously rejected every time by the building's tenants. It had something to do with the athlete "bringing the property value down" because he would be partying all the time. Never mind that Pedro only comes out on ESPN or Fox Sports because they constantly mention him as a great pitcher, not a publicity hound. That's just one example

Then I overheard someone from one of those families mentioned in Tordok's post saying that "Alex and all those baseball players could never be part of the Dominican high-class, even if A-Rod made even more than the 25 million he makes now per season" so I thought to myself why they would pursue him to pitch products for their companies, however, I understand it's all business too. That's how they make their money.

I remember that post, and i have to say I have to change my opinion on that. There is that Rich of the Rich that will even prevent people like A-rod worth over 100 million or Pedro from entering that inner circle.

Those definately are the elite of the elite and they are very powerful people.

Pedro must be a party Animal!!

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Re: the ones with $ don't flaunt it like the many wannabes

Tordok said:
Neither FORBES nor FORTUNE magazines have ever published re. wealthy individuals in the DR ( I think having over US$1 billion in known assets is the minimum criterion to get mentioned), however it would be safe to assume that the following people are not far from that:
Dominicans;
the Vicini family (Casa Vicini, truly old $ and diversified portfolio)
Hu?scar Rodr?guez (Cemento Cibao/Gas Caribe, and much more)
the Le?n family (E. Le?n J?menez/ Marlboro, Presidente beer,etc.)
Spaniards;
Pep?n Corripio (Grupo Corripio/ retail, banking, media,etc.)
Julio Iglesias (self-absorbed aging pop music megastar)
Cuban-American;
the Fanjul brothers (Central Romana/Casa de Campo/lots of sugar in Florida)

-Tordok

Tordok what about Mega Star Designer Oscar De La Renta?

Sep 20, 2003
oscar de la renta is one of the best fashion designers in the world, at the top with designers like karl lagerfeld(the designer for chanel). he belongs to the global elite, not just the dominican republic's elite.

i saw a CNN special about him. he said that in 1958, he was accepted into a fashion design school in spain, and that his macho father didn't want him to go. his mother supported him and convinced his father to allow him to leave for spain, but only barely convinced. oscar de la renta's mother was dying of some illness, and she knew the father would probably change his mind and not allow oscar to attend school in spain after she died. so oscar's mother ordered him to leave for spain immedately and not return to the DR until he completed his studies, she said not to return even for her funeral, because she wanted him to be allowed to pursue his dream of being a fashion designer without his father stopping him. that was the kind of character oscar de la renta's mother had, willing to place her son before herself.(that's the kind of mother i have too)

does anyone know what part of the DR oscar de la renta comes from? anyone have any information on his background? was he a member of an "old money" family?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The Pedro factor

Anybody who thinks Pedro was kept out of an Anacaona Avenue enclave because he is a party boy is absolutely wrong. I know people in the specific situation and I recall one of them telling me that at a meeting of the owners one of them said "Aqui no queremos ese negro chopo da?ando nuestra propiedad". In addition, they got together and approved a new regulation to make it almost impossible to rent to anyone without a professional evaluation by the committee and the approval of the majority. Once Pedro was not allowed into Italos Restaurant. Believe it or not Italo himself is a white chopo who was able to fake himself into society. His pedigree is now known(He was jailed in Miami for fraud and is the suspected leader of the gang arrested by police in DR (check thread "Are your U.S. retirement checks safe now?)

This is not unusual. It is a fact that people who invest in expensive condos and houses are very concerned with their value and that people in show business, sports figures, TV personalities and government officials reduce the value of the investment because most of the people in these professions are not part of the Dominican society elite and upper class and lack the social conditions to share common goals.

I turned down a deal to buy a penthouse in the best part of Mirador Norte for investment the minute I heard that a merengue singer who claims to be "the highest voice of merengue" lived there. It turned out my decision was right. This singer(bald by the way) installed a huge Tinaco with an enourmous tower attached to the wall of the building. This tinaco changed the structure of the building. It looks like an aqueduct. He did this without the approval of the owners. He also placed two vehicles in one space extending the rear of his oversized jeepetas into the driving lanes. He conducts regular parties in the top floor penthouse he owns and created a resort type structure that looks like a beach hut. nobody can control this "cojo", as they call him there.

Some people just cannot live in exclusive areas.

TW

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Well, regarding the Real Estate dilema, I think that living in an appartment community, all your fellow neighboors look for is having someone they feel comfortable living next to.
High class doesnt necessarily mean the most money class and vice versa. So if a baseball player has the $$$ he should be included in the list, although not even Sammy, Pedro nor A-Rod would still make it to the top 10.