Sosua vs. Cabarete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachael S

Dec 15, 2003
Could someone please explain the advantages/ disadvantages to staying in either of these towns? I'm planning a trip for March, and want to be in an area where I can walk to the beach, restaurants, bars, etc. that isn't too expensive, and both of these places seem to fit that bill. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
How old are you? Single? Married? Traveling alone or with others? What activities are you most interested in?

Rachael S

Dec 15, 2003
I'll be travelling with my husband, we're in our early twenties. The top things we are looking for are:
-Great beaches for sunbathing/swimming (we don't surf)
-A good mix of restaurants
-Bars/ clubs to go to at night
-Interesting people

And we'd definitely prefer not to rent a car, if at all possible, so we'd need to be in a place where we could walk to most of these things.

Thanks,
Rachael

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Most Definitely ...

Cabarete!

It's pretty much one long strip with 90% of the restaurants fronting both the beach and the street. Dozens and dozens of beach bars and restaurants to choose from, and a much less cluttered, much much larger, and in my opinion much nicer beach than Sosua.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Miko

May 23, 2003
no question about it

Cabarete is the place. Been there 6 times in last 1 1/2 year and have not gone thrue all the restaurants yet (and the bars either). Cannot beat Onno's or Lax. Best little town in the world with quite a unique flair. Young crowd of your age bracket.:cool:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I would have to say Sosua.

Nicer beach for swimming and sunbathing. Cabarete does have some nice spots but I think Sosua has a much greater selection of bars and restaurants. Whichever place you chose, you're only a few miles away from the other.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Cabarete Rules!

For me, it has to be Cabarete. Besides restaurants, bars and the beach, the other tourists in Cabarete are just different from the ones frequenting Sosua. Sosua seems to attract a lot of older men looking for female company. Cabarete has more of a younger crowd, looking to have a good vacation. So, I would suggest stay in Cabarete, but visit Sosua. The two towns are 20 minutes apart and there is a lot of public transportation running between them.

Miko

May 23, 2003
nice try Eddy

hehehe, sounds like we are preaching for our own parish. To me Sosua is pass? with its closed down hotels and takes a whole 3 minutes to walk that beach;)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Miko LOL. Sosua is more like a little town. It has streets to walk on things to see. Cabarete has one street with a million "Publicos" trying to run you down every time you try to cross it. But you're right I am preaching for my own parish but only because I'm convinced of what I preach.

Miko

May 23, 2003
there you go again Eddy

LMAO Chris, that's a good one.
Or maybee Eddy you would feel bad to say out loud what you are really wishing : " if only I could move my property to Cabarete";)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It has nothing to do with it. I have property in both Sosua and Cabarete and some property right in between. If you are a younger person Cabarete is the place. For her, it is Cabarete. If you are older Sosua is for you.

One thing you all forgot to mention is that Cabarete is way more expensive than Sosua. You also get screwed exchanging money there compared to Sosua for some reason. (someone explain this to me because it always bothered me) She also said "inexpensive" but since you are all hawking your own:)

I live in Sosua and can go to Cabarete 2x a day since I have a car and it is about 8 minutes away. I like Sosua better fwiw.

Escott

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
If you are a younger person Cabarete is the place. For her, it is Cabarete. If you are older Sosua is for you.

What utter nonsense - I don't think age has anything to do with it. I am 'older', well, let's define it for this purpose - older than 40 - and I prefer Cabarete. How 'old' should I be to prefer Sosua? Like I said, for me, it has to do with the people that go there, not how much property I have here and in between or how old I am... Geez! Let's get a balanced viewpoint here and not make sweeping statements about what people prefer when they are 'older'!

Sorry, Eddy, would have liked to support you on this one. But I guess different strokes for different folks.

Rachael S - visit both towns, these towns are very different. By your description of likes and dislikes, it seems consensus that you'd like Cabarete more for a vacation.

Miko

May 23, 2003
didn't reach that mark yet

...If you are a younger person Cabarete is the place. For her, it is Cabarete. If you are older Sosua is for you.

I am only 47, might still be a while before I am ready for Sosua. ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree that Cabarete would be the better choice for you. Enjoy your vacation. I hope you'll write a report when you get back home.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sure that Rachael will enjoy her vacation whichever destination she choses. The towns are minutes from each other.
The important thing is to come to the DR and and have a great time. Visit both Sosua and Cabarete and there's a whole lot more. Hope you enjoyed the little exercise put on by our posters. Deep down inside I'm sure they prefer Sosua. Hahaahahaaahaa. (Just joking)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Chris said:
What utter nonsense - I don't think age has anything to do with it. I am 'older', well, let's define it for this purpose - older than 40 - and I prefer Cabarete. How 'old' should I be to prefer Sosua? Like I said, for me, it has to do with the people that go there, not how much property I have here and in between or how old I am... Geez! Let's get a balanced viewpoint here and not make sweeping statements about what people prefer when they are 'older'!
One persons utter nonsense is one persons utter truth Chris. Just like some people drink Ripple wine and others drink a fine French Bordeaux. Different strokes for different folks. Doesn't make your opinion any more valid.

Personally I don't think Cabarete is for me no matter what age I would be considering how overpriced the beach restaurants are the way they screw you by at least 2 pesos per dollar at the cambios and HOW SCREWED UP the road going into it is. NO parking and terrible to just drive into town.

If I thought like you I would have bought a place in Cabarete to live. Just as simple as that.

Scott

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Cabarete beach blows Sosua beach away but thats where it ends. Everything else about Sosua is better. I hate the little town in Cabarete because everything is too close together and you cant walk down the street without getting run over by a motoconcho. I suggest you stay in Sosua and take a few day trips to the beach in Cabarete.

Very Important!!! -- Make sure you dont go to PJ O'Sheas in Cabarete! They severely overcharge for everything and treat their employees like shit!

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.