1st trip to D.R

redwedding

Oct 25, 2003
HI EVERYONE,WE ARE GETTING MARRIED ON THE 27TH DEC 03 AND GOING TO THE D.R FOR OUR HONEYMOON ON THE 28TH,WE ARE STAYING AT THE DORADA CLUB RESORT AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS STAYED AT THIS HOTEL?
WHAT CURRENCEY IS THE BEST TO TAKE! REALLY EXCITED BUT NERVOUS COZ THIS IS THE FURTHEST PLACE WE HAVE EVER BEEN AND WITH 5 CHILDREN BETWEEN US I DONT GUESS WILL BE GOING ANYWHERE ELSE FOR MANY YEARS.WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE ALL d.r BUT WORRIED BOUT TRUSTING PEOPLE OUTSIDE THE COMPLEX BUT THEN I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT REPS TRY TO SCARE PEOPLE BY SAYING "STAY IN THE COMPLEX,ITS DANGEROUS".PLEASE HELP,IM SO STRESSED OUT WHAT WITH WEDDING AND ALL,MAY I TAKE THIS TIME TO WISH YOU ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

Congrats

Take US currency and convert it as you need it to the Peso. Get a cab and head out to Cafe cito, Eddy's in Sosua or Rocky's in Sosua, they will make you feel welcomed.
I havent seen the resort in over 8 years so I cant comment on it.
Here is a link to some reviews
http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/travel44.html

Seeing it is your first post Welcome to DR1,

and by the way CAPITALS are like shouting and hard to read.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As wud indicated, the best currency is dollars, though euros and Canadian dollars can be exchanged. Dollars are gladly accepted by everyone.

Get out and see the country. Just take the same precautions you would anywhere. My wife and I wouldn't have lived in the country since 1986 if we couldn't travel around as we please.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Enjoy yourself

1) Don't believe everything (I was gonna write anything, but..) the reps say, they just want to make money off you. It's perfectly safe outside the resorts. It helps if you speak Spanish though..

2) Are the children coming along or not? If not, you have more reason to go out.

3) Meet some of the DR1 crowd in POP or Sosua.

MD

leo_DR

Dec 8, 2003
www.geocities.com
Don't stress out and worry too much. Go out and enjoy yourself while you're there- see the sights and have a great time. If you are taking the vacation as a couple without the kids- all the better. I also recommend that if you don't speak Spanish you should start learning a little bit before you go. It certainly helps and it will make you more confident in going out and seeing the various parts of the D.R.

Have a great trip,

Leo

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Get Out and Enjoy Yourself!

Give Alba and I a call at 809-975-6029 and we'll help woth the Spanish and show you around if you like. At least to Eddy's, and Cabarete!

Congratulations! Welcome to the DR and to DR1!

Tom (aka XR)

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I know this is only emphasis but............. take dollars, and check out a few different exhchange places first (there can be quite a difference). I couldnt believe the difference between the exchange rate at the beach at Sosua and the rate at our hotel bank!

Do not take all of the reps advice as the gospel truth....... they tell you not to purchase trips off the guys on the beach and to book with them in the hotel. The guys on the beach are liscenced and will not run off with your deposit. Also the reps in the hotels add their bit to the price and can make it nearly double the price with the people on the beach.
Sosua beach is a lovely beach and is near by. Outside the resort gates you will be offered a lift by everyone. We have paid as little as 20 pesos each to sosua (but it did help that we were travelling with a local dominican). When they knock the price down from 200 pesos to 100, don't think you have successfullly negotiated with them, you will learn this quickly!
You would enjoy your holiday even if you stay in the resort but for the fuller experience - get out and see some other places. It will be a unique experience for you if you have not travelled so far before.

The DR is amazing, get out and see it, there is nothing to be worried about, excercise the same caution you would in the 'Med'.

And I am sure you will be wanting to return next year!