KC Royals Manager Tony Pe?a mauled by his fight dogs

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The word is out that Tony Pe?a was mauled by his six Martin fight dogs and bitten almost 70 times. He has been flown to a hospital in the U.S. for treatment. His condition is not known. Pe?a was able to shoot two of the dogs to death. The dogs that attacked him were mostly the younger ones, who did not recognize him after his long stay in the MLB season.

The mother of the young pups joined the attack even though she was brought up under Tony*s care. KC Royal owners are at his side checking his condition. Martin dogs are muscular fighters that can reach 120lbs. of pure muscle and from what I hear, when they bite they dont let loose unless you hurt them pretty bad.

TW

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Martin Fight Dogs is just another Name for Pit Bull.

Many cities and counties in the US have banned the ownership of Pit Bulls so to get around the law they have come up with other names for the dogs.
Other names used is "American Bull Terrier" and "Stadforshire Terrier".

By Nature Pit Bulls are not more prone to attack than most other breeds. The problem with Pit Bulls are two fold.
1st. Pit Bulls are the ultimate "Chopo" Dog. Many people who own them are not good handlers and encourage them to be aggressive.
2nd. When they do attack their victim is going to the Hospital. More people are attacked by Foo-Foo dogs such as Toy Poodles, Pomeranians, Chihuahuas and Coker Spaniels(#1 in bites last time I Checked). Most of these bites are taken care of with a Band-Aid)

I wish Tony a full recovery but one has to wonder why a man who is away from home 9 months out of the year has so many Dogs?

Tony C(Rex Mundi)
Beware Opus Dei !!!

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
So sad to hear about this, hope he get better before next baseball season start.
Thans, for the information, Golo!!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Tony put up a good fight

Imagine the terror. Being attacked by dogs is one of the most feared nightmares. Tony was reported as having crawled into the house with the six dogs attached to him in depp pain and fear to look for the gun he shot the two dogs. He was able to shoot one in the leg and another one in the body. The sound of the gun firing helped him get loose momentarily before help arrived. He was saved by the gun and his natural instinct to survive.

TW

Tony C said:

I wish Tony a full recovery but one has to wonder why a man who is away from home 9 months out of the year has so many Dogs?

Tony C(Rex Mundi)
Beware Opus Dei !!!

Boy, I have 3 dogs and that is a bit much. Maybe his family is breeding them. Is that the case Golo. Does he breed dogs?

But it sounds more like they raised them to be guard dogs.

I was away from one of my guard dogs I had in California for a year awhile back and he recognized me when I came back.

Who ever took care of the dogs while he was coaching seem to have improperly raised them, because even the scent of the coaches clothes around the home should be enough, but I could be wrong.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Horrible

Tony Pena was my very first baseball hero and my introduction to Latins in baseball.

My mom loved the Pittsburgh Pirates and I naturally gravitated to the player that showed the most emotion and passion for the game.

I so wish this is not true, but considering the source, I just hope he comes out of this with his health in good order.

"What a week I'm having."

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
not an isolated case unfortunately

Some of you may remember a few years back when Latrell Sprewell's very young daughter had to be hospitalised briefly. One of the NBA bad boy's pit bulls bit off a piece of the toddler's ear. She is now fully recovered, but not likely fond of dogs.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Oh man. What a horror. Like Cleef said, I hope he comes out of this ok. I dont understand peoples infatuations with vicious dogs. Pit bulls are dangerous bastards.

Tony, when you come home, shoot the other ones if they haven't been put down already.

Larry

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Thanks for the news on Tony Pena. Its been several hours since the original post. I'm from the KC area and there hasn't been any report on the radio or in print. When I called they were all unaware. Can someone post again anything last minute. Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The dog in the photo on the El Nacional front page looks nothing like a Pit Bull. I thought perhaps a Neapolitan mastiff? Whatever it is, it was a nasty business. I blame the owners as much as the dogs.

Chiri

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this is old news

Tony was bitten but not badly
He flew to New Orleans for the winter meetings on schedule.

Scary, yes. Nearly fatal, no.

Amaris told reporters that "it was nothing, Tony is fine."

HB