Residency & criminal record

Seeme

Dec 17, 2003
Is it possible to acquire DR residency if you have a previous criminal record in an other country?...
The record I have is due to improper storage of firearms and explosives? Which I had the permits to own and use.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Yes, just choose the right lawyer. Graciela Fermin can do them quickly, you can reach her at 586-9534. They only speak spanish.

Seeme

Dec 17, 2003
Thanks Adrianb! I'll try to call them... I will also need advise on CD investments... Does anyone know a decent bank to invest in? If so can they send me an account application? or do I need to visit them in person? Thanks

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
As I recall, you will have to submit a background check. However, I really don't see the point because it would seem so easy to get a background check from a jurisdiction that doesn't have your records. Say, for instance, I am from Massachusetts where I have a record, but lived in Maine for a while where I have a clean record, all it would seem that I would have to is get a background check from Maine. Also, this passes through your hands before you submit it, so if you don't like it, you can try again without the DR authorities ever knowing about the other. With respect to the Dominican authorities, I am not sure I could suggest a better way, but I fail to see how the background check requirement would keep hardened criminal from getting residencies.

Seeme

Dec 17, 2003
Thanks lhtown!
My point is that I intend to invest in a few things in the DR and I may one day decide to move there. At this point I simply wanted to know if it was possible legaly for me to get residency... I would not want to hide important information at the risk of getting thrown out of the country if I decide to move there.

Second point is that so far, having a record has not stoped me from doing business anywhere in the world, but I know little about moving to a different country.

I do want to keep things legal because I have way much more to loose telling a lie than telling it the way it is and living with the answer...

I lost some freedom with having a record and I do not want to loose credential also... I am a honest person who made a mistake and willing to live with the consequences...

So if it's possible (and I will ask) that's good enough for me... Thanks for the input on the possibilities but I'm reluctant to lie or hide facts about my past and be refused because someone finds out that I lied.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I guess things are much easier in the US. In Canada, ONLY the RCMP can give you a "Good Conduct" report for the purposes of obtaining residence in another country. If things are that "LAX" in the USA, no wonder that............ never mind.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
Evidence for non delinquency in the DR is sufficient

The Direcci?n General de Migraci?n (Immigration authorities) does not require any evidence as to the non-existence of a criminal record in a foreign country from any foreigner filing an application for provisional residence. A letter of good conduct issued by the National Police of the Dominican Republic is sufficient.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Evidence for non delinquency in the DR is sufficient

hansbert said:
The Direcci?n General de Migraci?n (Immigration authorities) does not require any evidence as to the non-existence of a criminal record in a foreign country from any foreigner filing an application for provisional residence. A letter of good conduct issued by the National Police of the Dominican Republic is sufficient.

Why do they do Interpol checks if you are a European applying?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re hansbert, I'll be interested to hear what Fabio Guzman has to say about the good conduct certificate. Maybe it depends on where you are living when you start the residency process. If you have been living in the DR, then I I can see that a letter from the DR police ould be appropriate. But if living in another country, I doubt that is what they want. I know that in my case I got a letter from the Michigan State Police, the state in which I was temporarily living at the time I started the process.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
Even the information sheet of the DGM requires only a National Police certificate

I personally and many other people I know who filed their application for provisional residency with the DGM were never asked to submit a good conduct certificate issued in a foreign country and all of the were granted a residence permit without any bribery involved. Even according to the information sheet given out to foreigners by the DGM only a certificate of good conduct issued by the Dominican national police is required.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Residency requires either a local good conduct certificate or one from your country. Either is fine.

In Santiago, you can go to Palacio de Justicia, where they will print out your "buena conducta certificate" from a computer with no network/database connection. There is a lady sitting there with Microsoft word who fills in the name + other data. As long as you pay the right taxes and show an ID, anyone can get a buena conducta.

There is another place to get it, where they do apparently do run a background check. But not at Palacio de Justicia. And a good lawyer will know even more details on this.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
According to regulations, every residency application has to undergo an Interpol check except some applications, as we all know, that are ?exempted? from this and other requirements by special connections. These quickies, of course, may be subject to revocation when the special connections leave the Department, usually whenever a new administration comes in.

And apparently they do check, at least sometimes. I have had a few applicants that have been summoned by the DNCD, one of them had the misfortune to have the exact same name as a notorious drug dealer in England.

Kodiak

Nov 14, 2003
I wanted to clarify a misunderstanding of how criminal records are maintained in the USA, and explain briefly why going to another state, other than where the arrest, occurred doesn't work anymore. The system is not very lax.

There is a system called the NCIC. Orginally, all federal arrests, most state felony arrests, and many state serious misdemenaor arrests were entered into the system.

In 1983 the Interstate Identification Index (Triple I) was added to the system. Most states now maintain the criminal records for all offenses in their own state's Computerized Criminal History database and submit information to the Triple I system. The local agency in one state asks for a CCH on John Doe, the Triple I index is checked, and the record is retrieved from the other state's database with all the details.

Not all states are members of Triple I, so the information is entered into the original system when the red fingerprint card is received at the FBI.

When Interpol or a foreign country requests information from the system, with the exception of Canada, they have to go through an intermediate federal agency assigned to handle requests from that country. This agency is usually the DEA. DEA will usually also run the name through NADDIS, a special index of people the DEA has, or has had interest in. (NADDIS contains over 3,500,000 names) That is probably why Fabio's client got called in after the Interpol check. The DEA is a cooperating agency of Interpol.

The computer without the network at Palacio de Justicia is probably a good place to go, but as Fabio pointed out, it could just delay the eventual check.

Last edited:

AtomicPhil

Feb 6, 2012
A, A
Possession of marijuana

Hey, both my parents are dominican and i was born in miami,fl ... when i was 18 i got possession of marijuana now im 28.. im planning to go into the process of obtaining my dual citizenship. now ive been reading that i need to get a good conduct report from the police in the d.r and not in the u.s .. does anyone here had the same situation or knows if that would affect from me getting my dual citizenship? and would my record follow me in the d.r? which i think it will but not much credit and such..

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Hey, both my parents are dominican and i was born in miami,fl ... when i was 18 i got possession of marijuana now im 28.. im planning to go into the process of obtaining my dual citizenship. now ive been reading that i need to get a good conduct report from the police in the d.r and not in the u.s .. does anyone here had the same situation or knows if that would affect from me getting my dual citizenship? and would my record follow me in the d.r? which i think it will but not much credit and such..

You might want to start a new thread. This one is over 8 years old.