Ultralight aircrafts in the DR

Seeme

Dec 17, 2003
Does anyone know if flying an ultralight in the DR has similar rules as in the US or Canada or does it fall in the same class as regular planes?

I would like to import a few trikes to enjoy the DR view from the sky.

Any input on where to find out would be great!

Thanks

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Rules, what rules? The situation in this country is there is a conflict as to which government authority, civil aviation, politur, PN, etc. has license to regulate the aircraft. Is it a plane? An acquaintence of mine flies an ultralight as a business and has been hounded for years by the various government agencies, each saying they have authority over him. In truth they were looking for a commission. He got so frustrated, he was forced to shut down the flying business for a couple of years and focus on another tourist related business. He only reopened the ultralight end recently and I feel he had to pay someone off to do so. If I do see him I'll ask what authority regulates his business this week. My recommendation is don't get into that business here in the D.R. unless you have lots of up front capital, a thick skin, and know somebody in a high place. Regards, PJT

Reactions: Auryn and CristoRey

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I visited with my friend. He said the regulating body for ultralights is Aeronautica Civil on Av. Mexico, Santo Domingo. If you are going to use them for personal recreational use there should be little problem. If you are going to use them for business, he informed me that by law the country is sectioned off into operating areas and businesses obtain license from the government to operate as a monopoly in a area. He has license to monopolize the business in the East.

I recommend your visiting the Aeronatica Civil before attempting to bringing the ultralights into the country.

Regards, PJT

Seeme

Dec 17, 2003
Thanks PJT, I will contact them before I do anything...

Does your friend have a website I could visit or a phone number i could reach him at?
There is quite a bit of info I would like, if he's willing to share...

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Me too

I have always felt that this was the way to go...

Douglas'brother, Mairen? is a big honcho in POP construction. Owns a plane, too.

Love to fly in one of them things..

HB

Breite_Gu

Dipl. Ing. (FH)
Apr 12, 2023
Germany
breite.ddnss.org
Hi there,
I know this post is 20 years old. But nevertheless I am interested in the issue.
I did little investigation / research on it and found:
Dr. Douglas Bournigal, is not available anymore ?!
IDAC.gov.do is apparently handling these questions and some rules exist pertaining to "flying objects" up to 254 lbs.
Hence motorized para-gliders should be possible (??) the one way or the other.
Sadly I fail to obtain any information regarding Ulra-Light aviation or "Gliders" which were my object of interest.
Maybe somebody else can fill the gaps ....
best regards
Gunter

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They were very common on the SD Malecon until the Heliport was installed. I haven't seen them since.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Saw one over Sosua Bay about a year and a half ago which surprised me because the bay is on the Puerto Plata airport glide path, and it circled for at least 10 minutes before heading toward Cabarate

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Rules, what rules? The situation in this country is there is a conflict as to which government authority, civil aviation, politur, PN, etc. has license to regulate the aircraft. Is it a plane? An acquaintence of mine flies an ultralight as a business and has been hounded for years by the various government agencies, each saying they have authority over him. In truth they were looking for a commission. He got so frustrated, he was forced to shut down the flying business for a couple of years and focus on another tourist related business. He only reopened the ultralight end recently and I feel he had to pay someone off to do so. If I do see him I'll ask what authority regulates his business this week. My recommendation is don't get into that business here in the D.R. unless you have lots of up front capital, a thick skin, and know somebody in a high place. Regards, PJT
Fantastic advice and depending on who's existing business it may effect, based on my own experiences, I'd say this applies to more than just Ultralight...

Just noticed this thread is from 2003.
Never mind.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

Breite_Gu

Dipl. Ing. (FH)
Apr 12, 2023
Germany
breite.ddnss.org
Dear mates / folks ....
Something to add: I have family in DR and go there once / year since > 20 thereof.
I did fly paraglider before myself (and took a break). The last thing I would want to do is flatter around in an airport approach (despite I agree with living years).
I agree that > 10 years ago me too i saw UL in Malecon SDQ. The disappearance thereof not only coincided with the heliport introduction but also
with the disappearance of the last runway of the old international airport "norte del plaza de la bandera".
Which leaves the big question:
Where did all the former users go ??
For the 254 lbs (or should that have been kg ??) "flying objects" (unidentified [:-]] ) question IDAC furnished me a governing paper.
I am not a beach/party-guy and find it hard to believe that a blessed country like DR (with all that mountain ranges / slopes and thermals) does not sport any glider Club / association.
Any valuable information is always appreciated, you may also contact me via: BreiteGu[at]gmail.com
so everybody stay cool, calm and collected :)(y)
Gunter

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have a friend who has been crippled the last 35 years because one bolt on an ultralight sheared off on the wing cables and they folded up and he pancaked down. I was with him that day and frankly he was luck to live.

They are fun but be aware they are not inspected or certified like airplanes, nor do they use parts that are always "aircraft grade."

Breite_Gu

Dipl. Ing. (FH)
Apr 12, 2023
Germany
breite.ddnss.org
Thanks for the advice / opinion.
The link >> Federacion Riojana del Deporte Aero << is pertaining to a Spanish association ...
My search for an equivalent in the Republic still did not unveil any.