Cell phone opinions

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
This is a poll of sorts I guess..
What is the best cell phone company to use? Codetel. Orange, or Tricom? Best island coverage? Can be used in USA also? Best prices? Prepaid verses monthly paid service?
Also a good brand of phone. Small. Long lasting battery. I don't need internet access with the cell. Sturdy(I drop things alot)
I'd like opinions on all these things so when I'm ready to get my new phone I can get a decent one and get the best phone company also.

Dec 9, 2002
Hi Jan, can't give you any advice on which company to use I'm afraid. I would say that my hubby's cell phone is on Orange and I've never had any problems contacting him.

As regards phones themselves, I've had a little Nokia for the last couple of years and can't tell you how many times it's been dropped. It has a few scratches now but still works good as new. Prior to the Nokia I had several Siemens phones which were pretty sturdy too.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
As far as I know, Codetel still offers by far the best coverage and probably the best service. If you are looking for reception from a phone, get one with an antena that goes up. While it might be a sleeker package, the ones with the integrated antenas don't normally do as well. I have an Orange phone (pre paid with cards) and a Codetel phone (post paid). I have a Motorola V60 on the Codetel phone and I really like it. My Nokia on my orange plan is probably more drop-resistant though. I get far better reception with my Codetel since they offer better coverage and the phone also gets much better reception. Also, I have had problem getting calls through on Orange even when there was reception. Get yourself a good wrap-around case.

Apr 26, 2002
Tricom has the best coverage in the provinces. So if you travel to the campo, Tricom is the only way to go.

In general, though, I've noticed substantial degregation of service from all of the carriers. It is often impossible to reach a Dominican cell phone from the US, and sometimes when I'm in the US I pay for calls to DR cell phones that were never connected.

Anyone have any experience with Centennial?

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
So from what I've read it's safe to assume that if you live in Santo Domingo then Codetel is the best way to go.

Would it be cheaper to buy a phone here in the U.S. and have it connected over there of just to go for a plan that includes a phone like the Motorola V60?

Thanks
Ramon

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
it will be cheaper and easier to buy a CELL PHONE in the DR by all means, I'm in the Cellular phone import business and the prices offered here are unbelievevable, i'm force to sell cheap due to the economy problems, prices in the DR beat those offered by some Ebay sellers, when it comes down to PRICE plus Shipping it turns out to be expensier than here.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I'm hopeing that I can get my same number but not sure if they do that or not. It would be nice then I don't have to worry about who has the new number or the old one and won't have to change my beautiful business cards.
But don't know when I'll be able to get a new phone.
I'd hate to lose our number Jane J!

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
So let's say I want to go with a plan from Codetel and buy a
phone along with the plan. Where is the best place to get this done? The last time I was there I went to Bella Vista Mall and saw a Codetel store there but didn't have a chance to go inside. Is one of these stores the best place to go.

Thanks
Ramon