germs, bugs and bacteria on public transportation

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Tom,
While interesting, and I can try guessing why this made you think of the DR, can you make it explicitly DR-related?
Best Regards,
The Environment Fourm Moderator :glasses:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You may not want to eat food prepared at the "Gas Stations" in the DR!"

I stopped at the "Texaco" Gas Station in Arroyo Hondo last Sunday.I like the little "Ham & Cheese" sandwhiches they sell there.They were all out.But wait,they are making some "Fresh Ones",what luck!
A young man had a tray of sliced "Mini-Pan-De-Agua",lots of slices of ham,and lots of slices of cheese.He was "buttering"the "pan" with "mayo".He was wearing a disposable food preparation glove on the had he used to touch the food,and the "other" hand to touch the knife!."Wow!"I couldn't wait to have 3 or 4,0r MORE,of those "beauties"!
Just as I was approaching him,he let go with a huge "Sneeze",which sent a huge ""Spray-Of-Snot" flying over all the food! But wait,then he used his "gloved" hand to wipe the residual "SNOT from his nose,and then smear it on his apron!! "Yummy"!
Now if you think you are safe from this type of contamination at Supermercado National,or Pola,you are not!Just go to the deli counter and "observe" for a few minutes.The guys wear a disposable glove on the hand they use to touch the meats and cheeses.Then they use that same gloved hand to work the scale,and worst of all,to answer the telphone! (Telephones are ALWAYS a great source of bacteria and virus.)
Buy the way,those "Ham & Cheese" sandwiches were better than usual!! Cris Colon:cool:

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry Keith. Rob was like this a while back. I am always careful to relate what ever I write to the DR. Chris's observations help. I have lived in the DR for 4 years and traveled there a dozen times in the last 15 years. Hygene has increasing become more important to me as I learn more. I have seen many a disgusting thing in the DR concerning the spread of germs, bugs and bacterias. I have also learned a great deal of how to maintain good hygenic practices from my Dominican family and friends. I thought that the information was interesting and would maybe inspire a few postive or negative comments on the issue. Many of us need to be reminded of the importance of the basics of washing our hands frequently, keeping our fingers out of our mouth and eyes, and the handling, preparation and storage of food. Maybe this should go to the living section and save this forum for the more hard core stuff.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
No, Tom, I have no objection to the post staying in this forum, as I see a logical intersection between environment and public health issues (in fact, I am pushing with management to make this an environment/health forum, since I do alot of work on public health issues as well). And I have no objections to discussing the issue, which as I intimated in my prior post, I see it as a very relevant issue to the DR. [Remember, Tom, I lived there too for 4 years.] I just want to keep this Forum DR-related as much as possible, and was asking if we could relate the issues the article raises to DR life & work.
Best Regards,
Keith

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
One hand washes the other so to speak ....or does it? Ever take notice how people take pride and daily wash down the sidewalks in front of home and businesses. Yet, the behavior does not carry over to personal hygene. Regards, PJT

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
And I can't get any clearer than I did. I'm not being "sensitive." I'm being prudent. I do not want this forum to degenerate into the slugfest that some others do, and I am making that clear to all early on. So take note, not umbrage.

If anyone has issues or complaints about how I moderate, please e-mail or PM me directly. I welcome feedback, as long as it is civil.
Your Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
ok.. my effort to get this thread back to the topic

Even after having lived in this country now for many year and getting used to seeing the 'special way' Dominican clean their noses, by just blowing the snot out of their nose and let it drip to the ground - when they do this in areas where you buy food, that still makes me feel sick.

I for myself can't belive how many people (specially 'gringos') buy their meet in Playero Supermarket in Sosua. There the meet lays in an open tray where everybody picks the pieces by themselves.
People touch the chicken, pork and beef with their dirty fingers, put it back after observing it, people sneez on it, cough on it... urrrrggh.

Same problem I have with the vegetable in Janet's supermarket in Cabarete. Allthough I go to Janet's very often, since the prices are much better than in any other supermarket in the area, I just can't buy the vegetables and fruits there. Here also, you can pick your vegetable and fruits by yourself, so every single piece is observed and touched by hundreds hands daily. I also have seen people taking a bite from a tomato, and, maybe because of not liking the taste, putting the 3/4 tomato back to the others.

Maybe I'm still too picky, but I just can't deal with it, when 'human dirt' is combined with the food I like to buy. Strangely I have no problem at all to get food from a side stand in the campo, even when the food they sell there is covered with some flies. At least this is 'natural dirt'.

As for public transportation I must say, that in my opinion the guaguas and taxi publicos are very clean. Dominicans are in general (beside this 'blow-out-snot-and-let-it-fall') very clean people, they shower every day and never smell bad. Even if a guagua is filled with 25 or more, I never smelled anything bad, unless a sweaty tourist is among them.

quaqualita

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dominican riddle

What is it that the poor throw away and the rich keep?
?Qu? es lo que hay, que los pobres botan y los ricos guardan?

Answer: Snot/ los mocos

I am sure you all wanted to know that!!

HB

Note for the linguistically inclined:

I had to check this with my brilliant wife because it is "so" Dominican:

Ke'e lo ke ai, ke lo' pobre botan y lo' ricoh guardan?

lo' moco'

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
cant wait

Whenever I watch the way food is prepared there I have to do all I can to keep a strait face. I just basically make sure to food is hot and fresh and hope fr the best. I got sick once trip out of three and I was only down for two days that time so I feel lucky.
Hey at least you guys are not dealing with mad cow.
John
On an unrealted note cooking will not get rid of madcow.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Hey Keith

Keith R said:
And I can't get any clearer than I did. I'm not being "sensitive." I'm being prudent. I do not want this forum to degenerate into the slugfest that some others do, and I am making that clear to all early on. So take note, not umbrage.

If anyone has issues or complaints about how I moderate, please e-mail or PM me directly. I welcome feedback, as long as it is civil.
Your Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

I think you're doing a fine job.

HB - that dominican riddle was disgusting.