Crocodiles & Jimani to Pedernales, via the back door!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The past few days I have been away, went with Scott to go find some Crocodiles at Lago Enriquillo.
Found the Crocs, about 50-60 adults. These are salt water Crocs so very timid. But, you can get very close, within 10-15 feet without a problem. Access is via the National Park just before La Descubierta. You can get a motor boat and guide for around RD$800. Take water and sunscreen, it gets pretty hot out on the water.

On the way back, Scott thought it would be fun to travel to Pedernales via a goat track that runs across the mountains clipping the Haitian border. If you haven't got a good 4 wheel drive, do not attempt this, it's 5-6hrs of very hard driving. If you have a good 4 wheel drive and know what your doing, it's an amazing journey.

The views are breathtaking and the variation of landscape and fauna are a photographers heaven.

Up in the mountains the road (goat/rock path) will take you above the cloud cover. It gets pretty chilly and is fun for your ears.

I wouldn't want to do this trip after it rains, it would be very dangerous and a good chance you wouldn't make it.

The road varies between dirt, rocks, gravel, boulders and all of the above. About 15-20km outside of Pedernales the road has been washed away. You have no choice but to cross the river, because it's a long way back!

I will let Scott fill you in with the rest of the details.

The next fun trip should be La Descubierta to Dajabon, about 200km of fun and goat track along the Haitian boarder :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rob, glad to hear you made it back alive. Bet you're glad you didn't read this before you set off.

A serious question: did you need to get permits to visit the national park, or the island in the lake, or can you just turn up? I'm planning a trip next week. Any recommendations for nearby accommodation also welcome.

Chiri

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Didn't need a permit to get into Enriquillo, just had to pay for the guide and boat.
The Crocs are to the right in the "agua dulce" not on the island. Not much on the island, just a small info center and lots of cactus. Saying that, we found a Scorpion.

Never needed a permit to get into Sierra de Baoruco National Park. This is the park the road we took runs through.

The only time we had to pay for a permit was to get into Bahia de Las Aguilas, RD$20 each. Be warned, the road is a bit bumpy and pretty steep just after the rangers station.

We stayed in Barahona, place on the Malecon called ? It was one of the 2 below. RD$550 per room including breakfast. It was simple, clean, AC etc. I would have no problem staying again.

HOTEL CARIBE AV ENRIQUILLO-BH 524-4111
HOTEL GUAROCUYA AV ENRIQUILLO-BH 524-4121

This was also a nice place, but Scott didn't fancy climbing 3 floors to his room.

HOTEL GRAN MARQUIZ CARR PARAISO 3-BH 524-6866.

Apr 26, 2002
Sounds like a fascinating trip. If you like cloud forest, you could also try the road between San Jose de Ocoa and Constanza. 4-wheel drive also very necessary. I did this route in 1987 when the road was still part of the Dominican numbered highway system - indicating to poor tourists that it would be passable by regular car. It is probably the highest elevation roadway in the country (maybe the Manobao road could contest).

On your next trip, if you want a small step-up, try the Apart-Hotel Ponte Vedra - on the beach at Bahoruco, south of Barahona. Beachfront, 2 pools, breakfast and dinner included for about US$50/night off season double occupancy. There's even hot water, if you ask.

The Hotel Guarocuya was a Trujillo era hotel that was still very Trujilloesque until a very poor renovation job was done in the mid-1990s. When it was built, though, the beach in front was very swimmable. It no longer is.

Did you notice the gingerbread architecture at Los Rios, on the north shore of the lake?

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I had a great trip and I have to say that the Goat trail over the mountain topped it off. We went up so high the temperature dropped from scorching hot to freezing cold or a little above that. At one point we were looking through a break in the clouds down to the valley.

Robert only had to get out one time to walk across the river to see how deep it was before I drove through it. So it was a little cold on his footsies!:)

Don't let Robert pick hotels for you. The one in Pedanales was a very interesting stop. 350- Pesos for NO hot water, NO shower head, toilet seat UNATTACHED, a bed that resembles a hammock in shape and a A/C that blew cold air. At least there were no mosquito's owning me there. Man I was crying. I do have to say that it appeared to be the only hotel in town but it would have been worth a 200 mile drive to S.D. instead of staying there.

Bahia de Las Aguilas has a road that was so steep with loose rock I wimped out and didn't pass though it. I am not weak in the stomach but had these bad thoughts of never getting my Jeepeta out of there and having to walk/hitch/Gua Gua back to S.D.. Ok so I wimped out!

On the way out there we saw where people lived in Caves. Interesting.

All in all this was a great trip. I have been wanting to take this for quite a while and finally saw the inside southwest of the country that I hadn't seen before. Robert is a great traveling companion. He even rubbed my back after a hard drive! <laughing>

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Polo Magnetico

This is another cool spot I forgot about. I have know idea why this happens, but it's very odd watching a car roll up a hill. Scott and I tried varying ways to defeat the phenomena, but we lost everytime.

Whatever we did, the car appeared to roll up the hill, very creepy.

Polo Magnetico is located about 15km outside of Cabral (between La Cueva and Las Auyamas) which is I guess 20km from Barahona. You will need a map as it's not sign posted.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've been there and I am convinced it's an optical illusion, not a freak magnetic phenomenon as people like to claim. The hills and mountains make it appear as if the downward slope is at an upward gradient, so that things seem to be rolling uphill. There is one just like it near Bethlehem (wow - seasonal connection) and it has been proved to be optical.

Chiri

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Re: Pedernales, via the back door!

Originally posted by Robert

On the way back, Scott thought it would be fun to travel to Pedernales via a goat track that runs across the mountains clipping the Haitian border.

The road varies between dirt, rocks, gravel, boulders and all of the above. About 15-20km outside of Pedernales the road has been washed away. You have no choice but to cross the river, because it's a long way back!

Robert, (and Scott)

This sounds like an awesome trip. In your opinion, could it be done on a motorcycle? I'm thinking dirt bike like the 125cc Yamahas. I'm looking for a scenic, challenging trip that me and 2 or 3 friends could take.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Chirimoya said:
I've been there and I am convinced it's an optical illusion, not a freak magnetic phenomenon as people like to claim.

Probably so. I'll check it out with my GPS the next time I'm in that area . :)

Swede

GlowWorm

Nov 18, 2003
Salt Water Crocs????

Sounds like it was a great trip. Would like to visit Lago Enriquillo sometime.

I thought they were American crocodiles at Lago Enriquillo. Aren't salt water crocs indigenous only to Africa and some parts of Asia? Maybe not.

Either way 10' to 15' is far too close.

Glow:beard:

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
American crocodiles by name........

....they live in and around salt water at Lake Enriquillo. Therefore the reference to them as "saltwater" crocs.......

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Doing this on a 125cc dirt bike would be fun, but like Scott says, hard work. If you can get one of those 4-track/quad bikes, then this would be the way to go.

You might also consider brining a little extra fuel and water. You don't see many people or gas stands on the way. Also get a good map, you will need it.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Gee, Rob & Scott, maybe you should have posted this trip report in the Environment Forum, since you seem to have focused in your trip on many of the DR's natural wonders...
Keith ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Where are the stinking pictures?

Where are the pictures?????
Next time I am coming along.

D.D.

Apr 27, 2002
Ohhhhh you two shameless guys! You mean to tell me you went 4wheelin' without me? You traitors! I am ashamed of you two. If you had invited me (like good ol'buddies do) we could have had a lot of fun! we coud have towed behind our Jeepetas a couple or three of "those 4-track/quad bikes" that Mr-Cool-guy Rob is talking about, and we could have conqured those "(goat/rock path)", so that my soon to be ex-friend Escott wouldn't have been saying "Bahia de Las Aguilas has a road that was so steep with loose rock I wimped out and didn't pass though it". What does a New Yorker know about Fourwheeling anyways? It is a miracle he knows how to hold a wheel in the first place!

Oh $chit I am so pisssssed!!!! You guys owe me one. Here I am, sitting by myself and watching commercials about the upcoming Dacar Rally on TV while my two brand new Polaris 600's and a couple of FOREMAN 400's are rusting away in my driveway for lack of good friends to go out and have fun with in the back woods climbing mountains and doing wheelies

I am so sad and jeleous. I missed out! You did too. You two --- ----s !!!!!!!!!!(fill in the blanks)

By the way, If you go out again exploring the wilderness without me, remember to "TREAD LIGHTLY!"

Keith, while I lived in Arizona, being a hardcore fourwheeler, I supported "Tread Lightly!, Inc." which is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protect public and private lands through education. Emphasis is placed on responsible use of off-highway vehicles to protect the environment.

D.D.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Where are the stinking pictures?

AZB said:
Where are the pictures?????
Next time I am coming along.
The pictures are in my cellular phone. When I get the cable to hook up to my computer I will upload them. Probably in Feb when I go to NY for a couple of weeks.

You could have gone!

D.D. We NEVER could have towed a trailer up that crumbling pile of rock! I am terribly sorry that we didn't ask you. It won't ever happen again, for sure! You are my brother and I won't think of going anywhere without you again. Screw Robert! LOL

Escott

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Polo magnetico

Chirimoya said:
I've been there and I am convinced it's an optical illusion, not a freak magnetic phenomenon as people like to claim. The hills and mountains make it appear as if the downward slope is at an upward gradient, so that things seem to be rolling uphill. There is one just like it near Bethlehem (wow - seasonal connection) and it has been proved to be optical.

Chiri

I will have to admit it is a strange sensation. It certainly does feel like you are going uphill. I have an American friend who lives near there. He says that he even took a carpenter's level with some friends to check it out. Of course, he verified that it is just an optical illusion, but it sure is convincing.

juana324@msn.co

May 26, 2004
there is a nice hotel in pedernales cheap too.It's about 2 blocks from the beach.

Escott said:
I had a great trip and I have to say that the Goat trail over the mountain topped it off. We went up so high the temperature dropped from scorching hot to freezing cold or a little above that. At one point we were looking through a break in the clouds down to the valley.

Robert only had to get out one time to walk across the river to see how deep it was before I drove through it. So it was a little cold on his footsies!:)

Don't let Robert pick hotels for you. The one in Pedanales was a very interesting stop. 350- Pesos for NO hot water, NO shower head, toilet seat UNATTACHED, a bed that resembles a hammock in shape and a A/C that blew cold air. At least there were no mosquito's owning me there. Man I was crying. I do have to say that it appeared to be the only hotel in town but it would have been worth a 200 mile drive to S.D. instead of staying there.

Bahia de Las Aguilas has a road that was so steep with loose rock I wimped out and didn't pass though it. I am not weak in the stomach but had these bad thoughts of never getting my Jeepeta out of there and having to walk/hitch/Gua Gua back to S.D.. Ok so I wimped out!

On the way out there we saw where people lived in Caves. Interesting.

All in all this was a great trip. I have been wanting to take this for quite a while and finally saw the inside southwest of the country that I hadn't seen before. Robert is a great traveling companion. He even rubbed my back after a hard drive! <laughing>
there is a hotel 2 blocks from the beach behind the colombianos hotel for the workers and you should have asked the cave people to take you in one of the boats they have out to the beachof las aguilas for a small price of course it's worth it they will stop where ever you want them to. I don't know who you paid the 20. to go to aguilas but i think you got ripped off.

juana324@msn.co

May 26, 2004
ask for the gomez family in pedernales(ripio and morena)

:) :) :) :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: they will hook you up airconditioned,hot water, sattlelite t.v. for a meer 300 pesos a night that's what 11 dollars??? and you will be 2 blocks from the beach wich you most likely have to yourself because the locals don't use it very much only at night when they open the little shacks to sell cold presidentes for about .75 cents for a 40 oz.while you listen to music right next to the beach.please bring bug repellent because i was there in october and they had a field day!!! and on mondays and fridays the haitians have a out door market wich is only maybe 5 minutes away en la frontera.