Can somebody tell me where can I buy dollars?

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
It's amazing that the dollar rate keeps going down but you can't buy it.. I have one week going to the banks (in santo domingo) to buy some dollars and it has been imposible and I'm not talking about a huge amount is almost nothing..
But today was the top of it I went to Vimenca, I said that I wanted to buy some dollars, they said ok come over here (in my mind I said oh god finally) and she told me : we just can sell you USD $10.00 (ten dollars) that's right just ten dollars, I stand up and walk away , this is a joke right!!!....
In the only place that you can find dollar at 35 pesos is printed in the newspaper...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For a Friend

Lissa-- you drove me all around SD -for you--40:1 see you during the week of Jan. 19th. (assuming the rate is the same)LOL

John

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hey! I thought we're all friends here.. why is everyone undercutting me? This isn't ebay you know! :)

hehehe

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
AdrianB, did you pay 50DOP for 1 USD?

I find that amount very high, I think 40 would be a reasonable amount.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Watch out, boys and girls, what your planning to do is illegal.
DR1 is about to become a marketplace for subjects making lawless money transactions.
Hippo will not like this and may order one of his generals to close the site down....unless PPH fellows become moderators.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Millions & Millions of US Dollars are arriving daily!!!

This is the time when Dominicans living all over the Globe return home! Those who can't send the MOMEY! The dollar is always abundant and at lower exchange rates ddurung the month of December & January.But NOT this year! Why Not?

I feel that those who have the $$$$$$$ are sitting on them.They just saw 43 to 1! Like most of us,we feel that the peso will soon take another "nose Dive",and we are sitting on the sidelines waiting for 40 to 1 and lots MORE!

Have faith in the PRD and Hipolito,they can furthere devalue the peso if anyone can!! Cris Colon

And: Merry Christmas & Happy Khanuka to everyone!

Apr 26, 2002
gerd said:
Watch out, boys and girls, what your planning to do is illegal.
DR1 is about to become a marketplace for subjects making lawless money transactions.
Hippo will not like this and may order one of his generals to close the site down....unless PPH fellows become moderators.

I'm just chuckling here on this Noche Buena thinking about how DR1 would look if the Central Bank "intervened" in its ownership. Criss Colon replaced as moderator by Gomez Mazara! I can see it now:

"That's a DR related topic. Thread closed!!!"

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Let's see, I open a colmado on the corner and I stock it with beers that I bought for 20 pesos each, planning to sell them for 25 pesos each.

The president decides to win favor from the people by declaring that a beer is worth 18 pesos and that it is illegal to sell it for more than that.

So I have to tell my customers that I have no beer in stock, and NO you CAN"T open my fridge and check, I'm telling you there's NO BEER in there.

If you're REALLY thirsty maybe I can find you some beer somewhere, but it's going to cost you 7 pesos extra per bottle for my troubles of tracking it down. (In my fridge)

This is basically what's going on with the dollar, right?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Gee Mr. Mike, (and for others who don't live here in the DR) - that's EXACTLY what the government does now. They set the prices of many things, even though it is "your" business.

Gasoline - the gov't sets the price. Change your price, and go to jail.

Bread, rice, propane, chicken, eggs, diesel, and who knows what else - the government tells businesses what they can charge. And this is a democracy, and free commerce. Why can't the Big H set the tasa?? (and PLEASE don't go giving him ideas about setting the beer prices- he already is planning on increasing the tax on beer by 10% in January).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Like we couldn't see this coming from miles away..

and this constitutes news in the DR?

Of course you won't be able to get dollars because:

1) Any remittances received by private persons is being saved for better days, when the peso and dollar are once again at a natural equilibrium of say 50 to 1.

2) Any dollars received through exchange houses go to the exchange houses who sell them amongst each other so they won't have to sell to the government. This is going to end soon and these dollars will go to the governement. These dollars will be used to pay foreign debt.

3) Any dollars received by business will be held offshore till the storm washes over.

So for the 'normal' individuals there will be no dollars for sale.

MD

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
thanks jhon for your rate, and adrianb you're not too far from the reality.. In my quest trying to get some dollars I was at the Banco Popular cashing a check when suddenly I was the clerk with a bunch of 20 and 100 dollar bills and ask him, Can I get some? he told me (very kind) of course!! just go to the customer's service desk, so I ran there, when I get there I told the lady what I wanted, she laughed at me and said we don't have dollars and I said but the clerk told me that you have and she replies back ohh let me check , oh no they just finished!!!...@#$%$#@
I hope the PPH doesn't follow this thread!!

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Another example of voodoo economics: the lower the fx rate gets, the less dollars you have available.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Popular truly has lots of USD for sale at 40? That sounds like a fake price to me..

Can you buy USD $1000 at that rate? Or just a token $20?

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
well really no more than USD$100 and because I have a friend inside that calls me everytime they get some.. I really don?t know if you can walk in there and buy the amount that you want.. They always says that there must be ?availability?for sale..