AA is upset with Santiago Airport.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
AA is upset with operations in STI, flights are not profitable, many flights land in POP because of frequent fog, load factor is low. It all started as in a fairy tale, 100% booked flights and brilliant future. Today's operations in STI are no more than additional headaches to AA. Aeromar suffered a lot with STI, the horrible infrastructure at the airport doesn't help!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
AA should return many flight to pop from kennedy . Pop is a tourism place and i like POP airport more than Santiago airport.
people likes to go through the airport beacause its close to their city homes.

Flakko

Dec 5, 2003
I don't believe that!!!
Maybe AA isn't flying a lot of cargo to STI, but STI has more dominican passengers flying from The U.S. to DR than POP, or am I wrong???
A lot of fog??? What happened to the ILS that was suppose to be installed in STI??? The runway is short, I know, around 8,600ft long, but that's enough for an A300. Even for a Boeing 747 in short haul flights.
So what exactly you people mean with "The Infrastructure"???

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I fly frequently out of STI, and it sounds like what is being said above is garbage.

There's always a lot of people on the flights I've been on. And far more dominicans out of STI, more tourists out of POP.

Do you have any evidence of "American being unhappy"? I'd think they are delighted, with the prices they're able to charge for such a short flight to the USA.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I am not surprised. Santiago airport is a mess. The people (all dominicans) flying in and out if it are a sorry bunch. It takes them 45 minutes just to board on or off a plane. No wonder flights are delayed . The airport is complete chaos. Even the customs people, or whatever you want to call them, are complete idiots. They should film a movie in the airport and play it on the comedy channel.

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I thought that Santiago airport was so bad that the next time I want to go direct to Santiago, I will fly into POP instead and take the beautiful drive over the mountains to Santiago. That will be much more enjoyable and I'll bet I will still arrive at my destination quicker. Santiago airport bites.

Larry

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
you have no idea about amount of complaints AA get daily in STI, it is horrible airport. Many planes are diverted to POP, chaos is horrible. You come to the airport and spend more than 2 hours standing in lines, it is seems like a flea market. I used it once, it was the first and the last time.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
cuando yo vine a Republica Dominicana por santiago yo estaba esperando mi maleta por una hora y media. tal vez por POP y SDQ es meno tiempo que uno tiene que espera por la maleta.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Ah, so its our reliable friend aviastar posting again..

I like this comment:

> I used it once, it was the first and the last time.

So you're basing this entire thread on your one single experience?

I have flown via STI 4 times in the last 12 months. Thats 8 trips through the airport. Each time it has been great. I have travelled through 60 countries around the world, and know my way around most major airports. Santiago airport stacks up very favourably against major international airports.

As usual Aviastar doesn't know what he's talking about.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Quote:
Santiago airport stacks up very favourably against major international airports. -- adrianb

Please tell me in what ways it does.

Here is my experience:
Flying in:

-- Took the Dominican passengers 45 minutes to get off of the plane because no one had common sense enough to allow one aisle to empty at a time. Instead it was a free for all that just left everyone pushing back and forth.
-- Took me over 1 hour to get my bags off the conveyer belt because every Dominican passenger wanted to be exactly in the spot where the bags came out onto the belt and bags and people were flying all over the place, people were taking bags off that weren't theirs and leaving them along the ground or throwing them back onto the belt on top of other bags. It was completely stupid.
-- Customs guys went through all my belongings in the cases (all clothes) and left everything an entire mess. Then one had the balls to push one of my cases back toward me all messed up and wave his finger at me and yell ( I couldn't understand what the **** he was saying but when he saw the expression on my face he stopped and waved me through). What an asshole.

Flying back out of Santiago:
-- Plane delayed 1 and 1/2 hours (waiting for plane to arrive)
-- Anemic duty free station. Had almost nothing I needed.
-- Police with dogs came around and smelled my bags about 10 times... once or twice should have been enough
-- Took passengers 45 minutes to board plane because no one wanted to get in their assigned seat and so on.

Larry

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Did you fly out of Miami? Have you flown on an AA domestic flight from Miami airport? I think that is the most disgusting trash heap excuse for an airport I've ever seen. They should tear it down and rebuild it.

Miami's International section is decent. But STI is all new and clean. And everything works.

Sure, sometimes latinos take a while getting off the plane. They also are a pain when they're queueing for checkin. But thats latinos everywhere, and STI does a good job handling them. Its part of visiting latin america, and it is worse in SDQ because the people are more aggressive.

Conveyer belt? Same thing. Maybe you're visiting the wrong country. I never have had a problem getting my bag as soon as it arrives.

Customs? They don't even check my stuff anymore. The last couple of times I've just walked right through. And immigration is a breeze.

It sounds to me like you don't have much experience in latin american countries. Latinos ARE different. But thats why you come here, right? STI is a worldclass latino airport.

Try flying in and out of SDQ a few times. That sucks.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
adrian, funny you mention Miami airport because prior to my trip through STI, Miami had been the worst, most chaotic airport I had ever been through.

Do I have much experience going through "latino" airports as you call them? I guess I dont. I do know that I have been through POP airport 6 times in less than 2 years and it is a walk in the park compared to STI. I love POP airport. STI is not a "worldclass latino airport" as you call it. I really dont know what to call it. I hate it.

Larry

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you consider your experience "bad", you should travel more. When you have gone through the experience of standing in your jocks shacking inside waiting for the latex glove treatment, then start complaining. I have had that experience, and that's "BAD", trust me!

Larry (ILoveDR) said:
Flying in:

-- Took the Dominican passengers 45 minutes to get off of the plane because no one had common sense enough to allow one aisle to empty at a time. Instead it was a free for all that just left everyone pushing back and forth.

Nothing to do with the airport, this is a latino/dominican issue.

-- Took me over 1 hour to get my bags off the conveyer belt because every Dominican passenger wanted to be exactly in the spot where the bags came out onto the belt and bags and people were flying all over the place, people were taking bags off that weren't theirs and leaving them along the ground or throwing them back onto the belt on top of other bags. It was completely stupid.

-- Customs guys went through all my belongings in the cases (all clothes) and left everything an entire mess. Then one had the balls to push one of my cases back toward me all messed up and wave his finger at me and yell ( I couldn't understand what the **** he was saying but when he saw the expression on my face he stopped and waved me through). What an asshole.

Looks like you got off light. Have you ever been through some of the former eastern block airports? I have never had a bad experience flying into a DR airport with customs. I guess I have flown into POP/SDQ about 20-25 times over the past 6 years. Maybe Santiago is different? Then again I know people that fly into Santiago because they are sick of the hassles at POP.

Flying back out of Santiago:
-- Plane delayed 1 and 1/2 hours (waiting for plane to arrive)

Why was it delayed? Was it due to the airport?

-- Anemic duty free station. Had almost nothing I needed.

Next time phone ahead, I'm sure they will be more than happy to carry stock of what you need :)

-- Police with dogs came around and smelled my bags about 10 times...
once or twice should have been enough.

Maybe you look like a drug dealer? If you have nothing to hide, why worry? I would be happy they are trying to do their job. I'm no expert, so I couldn't tell you if 10x is enough or not, can you?

-- Took passengers 45 minutes to board plane because no one wanted to get in their assigned seat and so on.

-- The people (all dominicans) flying in and out if it are a sorry bunch.

The same sorry bunch who's country you come and visit. I guess they can't be that bad? They managed to build a country that you love to visit.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Ok Robert, you can pick my post apart and thats fine. You know I love the country. I just hate that airport. I will keep flying into the country because I love it so much but I will fly into POP instead. The thread was about STI and I gave my critique of it. It sucks. Sorry you got the latex glove treatment though...hahahahahahahaha!

Larry

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
Ok Robert, you can pick my post apart and thats fine. You know I love the country. I just hate that airport. I will keep flying into the country because I love it so much but I will fly into POP instead. The thread was about STI and I gave my critique of it. It sucks. Sorry you got the latex glove treatment though...hahahahahahahaha!

Larry

I'm not picking your post apart, I'm offering constructive and creative feedback :)

Your be glad to know I avoided the cavity search and glass toilet at Stansted Airport (UK). Customs people can sometimes make your life hell and on that particular day I would have confessed to killing JFK rather than touch my toes...

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I spoke to someone at AA and they said that they have no issues with STI airport. Their amain concern is safety and the airport satisfies all the condistions which is why they fly into it.

Larry,

The only airport in DR that seems "normal" is the PUJ airport and that is due to all the tourists flin into it. All the other airports have been chaotic to me.

My last experience at STI was smooth. It's amazing what ten dollars can do...lol..it also makes me wonder about their security.

so there you have it folks, AA is happy with STI but Larry is still unhappy. At least you did not get the latex treatment, some guys actually enjoy that kinda stuff..lol

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Now that we've cleared this up, let me remind everyone of our friend Aviastar's original message again:

> AA is upset with operations in STI, flights are
> not profitable, many flights land in POP because
> of frequent fog, load factor is low. It all started
> as in a fairy tale, 100% booked flights and
> brilliant future. Today's operations in STI
> are no more than additional headaches to AA.
> Aeromar suffered a lot with STI, the horrible
> infrastructure at the airport doesn't help!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You decide whether to listen to this guy in future or not.

Aviastar: if you're going to post here, please do some fact checking first.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I can understand why some people would defend STI even with it's shortcomings because afterall, the airport is very good for Santiago and for the Dominican Republic. However, I had a bad experience there and apparently others have too. To add to the list of things I did not like were the fact that you have to board on and off by walking out on the runway and by climbing/decending one of those ramps to get on/off the plane. This shouldn't have been that much of an inconvience but the passengers couldn't get in the right seats making this very cumbersome with lots of pushing and shoving. Also, when you drive out of STI, you have no freaking idea of where you are unless you are familiar with Santiago. POP, on the other hand, is a cinch to drive out of and find a sign for where you need to go. These are just a couple of more points I wanted to make. Defend STI all you guys want but if it's my $400.00 I am spending to fly into an airport, I will say what I feel. Oh, did I say before that I hate STI airport? OK, good then.
Larry