Palm Beach Condos

Status
Not open for further replies.

anginmichigan

Dec 29, 2003
Greetings from Michigan

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any information on Palm Beach Condos, in Sousa. My family is staying here in Feb. and I wanted to get some general information on it. Is it nice? On the beach? within walking distance to restaurants,bars and shops?
What other suggestions do you have for us to do while we are there. My children range in ages 17-24 and are coming with us also.
Thank you, any information would be very much appreciated!

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I'm not familiar with a Palm Beach Condos in Sosua, but there is one in Cabarete. It's very nice, well run and clean. It's right on the beach in the middle of everything.

anginmichigan

Dec 29, 2003
Thanks!

Sorry, I actually met to say Cabarate...
So they are nice? what do you think of these compared to El Magnifico? Which one in your opinion is the better choice? and why?

Thanks again!!

Karl

Jan 1, 2002
If you want to be close to the bars, restaurants, etc. then Palm beach condos is your best choice. I was shown one of their condo's last month and they are very clean and are in a perfect location.

anginmichigan

Dec 29, 2003
Thank you!

Thanks Karl.. I really appreciate the quick response...
I am 24, traveling with my family there, and wanted to be able to venture out on my own if I needed to!!
Do you live in DR? If so suggestions on things I can do?

Thanks again,

Andrea

Karl

Jan 1, 2002
Nope, dont live there yet. As for things to do , your best bet is to do a thread search since everyone has their own ideas of fun. also, go to www.activecabarete.com i find that site to have good info on cabarete.

Bottomfisher

Oct 19, 2002
Cabarete Palm Beach Condo's - DO NOT STAY THERE

---- All Posts by Bottomfisher are Opinions Based on Personal Experience ----

In 1999-2002, Cabarete Palm Beach Condo's (PBC) seemed on a RELATIVE basis worthy of being called luxury (see their website) ONLY because most of the other places were near shanty-quality (maybe not so bad but really not nice). However, in the past 3 years, Azzurro, Windham Viva Tangerine, and others are now reconstructed/refurbished/new and are FAR nicer. Making matters worse, Cabarete PBC is now a total rip off ($175/night and they have the balls to charge for Internet service on top of it and for a key for the safe!) on a relative basis and absolute basis, particularly since the insides are OLD and falling apart, and your views of the ocean from the high floor can be blocked by palm trees on the beach anyway. The pool is tiny and was cold when we jumped in the first few days.

If you want quality, stay elsewhere and a) get a price 1/2 of this place and b) 4 times nicer w/ better views. Until they cut their prices by at least 1/2 (which they should have done by now already due to their labor costs plummetting on the 2/3 peso devaluation -- they pay staff mostly in pesos -- and due to competition), and put some real money into improving the properties (our kitchenette had oven that didn't work and was so old the front of it came unglued from frame), there is NO reason to stay there in my view. Furthermore, the arrogance level of the owners is huge (like you'd expect from a place that USED to be the best but can't admit it now sucks), which moves its way to the staff (many of which are rude also).

Speaking of the staff, after "business hours" there is nobody at any kind of front desk to route calls to your room or help if you need something -- something any high priced hotel/condo should have but they appear to cheap to staff the office 24/7, despite rock bottom labor costs.

Feel free to send feedback, as maybe there is some reason to stay at a place like this that I can't comprehend.

anginmichigan

Dec 29, 2003
I loved Palm Beach Condos!

I thought the Palm beach condos were great....
Yeah it might of been a little expensive, but they are very nice, and the location is great. The staff is very friendly, espically Nelly, who is a wonderful person. She helped us get everything we needed, transportation, meals cooked for us, etc. All in all a great place, Bottomfisher, I cant undertand how you are saying otherwise.... Where do you suggest to stay?

Bottomfisher said:

---- All Posts by Bottomfisher are Opinions Based on Personal Experience ----

In 1999-2002, Cabarete Palm Beach Condo's (PBC) seemed on a RELATIVE basis worthy of being called luxury (see their website) ONLY because most of the other places were near shanty-quality (maybe not so bad but really not nice). However, in the past 3 years, Azzurro, Windham Viva Tangerine, and others are now reconstructed/refurbished/new and are FAR nicer. Making matters worse, Cabarete PBC is now a total rip off ($175/night and they have the balls to charge for Internet service on top of it and for a key for the safe!) on a relative basis and absolute basis, particularly since the insides are OLD and falling apart, and your views of the ocean from the high floor can be blocked by palm trees on the beach anyway. The pool is tiny and was cold when we jumped in the first few days.

If you want quality, stay elsewhere and a) get a price 1/2 of this place and b) 4 times nicer w/ better views. Until they cut their prices by at least 1/2 (which they should have done by now already due to their labor costs plummetting on the 2/3 peso devaluation -- they pay staff mostly in pesos -- and due to competition), and put some real money into improving the properties (our kitchenette had oven that didn't work and was so old the front of it came unglued from frame), there is NO reason to stay there in my view. Furthermore, the arrogance level of the owners is huge (like you'd expect from a place that USED to be the best but can't admit it now sucks), which moves its way to the staff (many of which are rude also).

Speaking of the staff, after "business hours" there is nobody at any kind of front desk to route calls to your room or help if you need something -- something any high priced hotel/condo should have but they appear to cheap to staff the office 24/7, despite rock bottom labor costs.

Feel free to send feedback, as maybe there is some reason to stay at a place like this that I can't comprehend.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Value is based on what the market will pay........

....and people seem to be willing to pay their price. They're always operating at capacity.

I've had nothing but great experiences at PBC. Any maintainence issues, they had somebody there in a matter of minutes and the grounds were beautifully kept.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I do have to agree that it does seem pretty pricey, but if they can get it??????????

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
PBC's is still one of the nicest places to stay in Cabarete. However, I usually only book people into the 2 bedroom condos as the studios are near the street and are a bit outdated. Nellie is fantastic and very helpful. I've never had an unhappy client there in the 3 years that I've been placing reservations. RE: reception, you will find that most hotels do not have someone after 6p. Yes Viva Tangerine and Azurro Clubs are new or have been recently refurbished but they are also AI's and large with 300-500 beds versus smaller properties like PBC.

If you are looking for the best non AI hotels to stay at in Cabarete, I recommend:
Villa Taina: charming, good service, all amenities including ac, cable tv, inroom phone, internet ready, etc. breakfast included, 4 star
El Magnifico: one of the most charming beach properties, especially the new beachfront units. good value. no tv's. cel phone rental available. no reception after 5 or 6p. Gerard and Lisa are quitessential hosts. Quiet, 2 streets from the main strip of Cabarete.
Velero Beach: 4 star property with all amenities, the newest built in Cabarete with the exception of Viva.

If you would like more info, you can email me at Kitexcite for help with your reservation....

Lucy

Jan 7, 2002
Bottomfisher,
wow, you are a passionate poster...same message, 5 times and counting! Just what exactly happened to you at CPBC? Am curious!

Bottomfisher

Oct 19, 2002
Palm Beach Condominiums - What Exactly is Great

anginmichigan said:
I thought the Palm beach condos were great....
Yeah it might of been a little expensive, but they are very nice, and the location is great. The staff is very friendly, espically Nelly, who is a wonderful person. She helped us get everything we needed, transportation, meals cooked for us, etc. All in all a great place, Bottomfisher, I cant undertand how you are saying otherwise.... Where do you suggest to stay?

At the risk of insulting you, unless you live in abject poverty there is little "great" about the condo's. The views from top floors are obstructed by palms trees, the glass/wood doors to balconies so pourous that during the rains this week our living room became flooded, the furniture is very cheap (old fabric cushions on rattan ... doesn't get much cheaper), the appliances mostly ancient (over literally fell apart on us - NO microwave), the pool tiny and cold, no jacuzzi, no dishwasher, etc.

Yes, the location is good if you want to party/eat close to home, but the all inclusive next door (Azzurro Resort) has two huge pools, two great jacuzzi's, 4 restaurants, ping pong, volleyball, live entertainment, nearly 24/7 food service, an office that is around 24/7 to service you, and for what you pay for a week at Palm Beach Condo's you could get airfare, lodging and food at Azzurro, which is only 3 facilities to the west (40 second walk).

The staff appears underpaid (except Nelly) and somewhat aloof to us, in general (there are exceptions). The staff at Azzurro, Taina, and most others I've visited since coming recently are FAR friendlier, and since things are not broken don't need to do much but make you feel at home. CPBC, frankly, appears to me to be a place that people (like me, until I figured it all out this trip by visiting ALL the competion in the area like Azzurro, Viva Tangerine, etc.) who are ignorant about the alternatives (like, once again, I was until this last trip) go because they didn't do their homework.

Do your own homework: Google Azzurro, Viva Tangerine, and the others here and compare what you get (anything but luxury at CPBC but new, near luxury at the others) and what you paid (I believe double fair value at CPBC and great value at Azzurro and Viva Tangerine). I am 100% confident that the informed traveler will NOT come to Palm Beach Condo's until they halve the price.

Bottomfisher

Oct 19, 2002
Arrogance and High Price Inspired Me

Lucy said:
Bottomfisher,
wow, you are a passionate poster...same message, 5 times and counting! Just what exactly happened to you at CPBC? Am curious!

The passion of my posts comes from wanting to help others make informed decisions. I wish someone else had posted about the fact that for almost the exact price CPBC charges (they have the balls to ask for more $ if you have more than 2 people in the four bed condo, BTW!), one can stay at a FAR nice place AND get your food and airfare as well.

I have a theory on how this can persist (and, BTW, there were open condo's here at last minute .. I sense the gig is up). For years, if you wanted a RELATIVELY (vs. Casa Blanca and other smaller places) nice place to stay (and I emphasize RELATIVELY, because the condo's are SO FAR FROM LUXURY their website made me laugh when they used that word; you should see the bathrooms ... 3rd world), CPBC was a decent bet. However, with the Dom. peso down by almost 2/3 in last few years and most labor seemingly paid in that currency, CPBC should in theory be printing money since they appear to collect in US$ and Euro (i.e., costs plummeting vs. revenues due to currency). Rather than give staff huge raises or cutting prices to account for this, CPBC appears to be banking it.

Now, Azzurro and Viva have put $ into their places recently, and to get market share they seem to be pricing their business reflecting the plummetting labor costs that attend the peso devaluation (see above). Thus, customers appear to get all the advantages that comes with a massively appreciated dollar/euro at Azzurro and Viva, but do not at CPBC. Moreover, the facilities and each of Azzurro and Viva are NO comparison to CPBC. It is night and day ... don't trust me -- just walk to each of them.

I hope that my posts (which are my opinions) lead to people doing their own homework to confirm my claims. Just go to Expedia and price it all out and compare -- you will see that my comments are based on the truth. CPBC has received my $ for the last time.

Bottomfisher

Oct 19, 2002
Marina Friends w/ Taina and CPBC?

marina said:
PBC's is still one of the nicest places to stay in Cabarete. However, I usually only book people into the 2 bedroom condos as the studios are near the street and are a bit outdated. Nellie is fantastic and very helpful. I've never had an unhappy client there in the 3 years that I've been placing reservations. RE: reception, you will find that most hotels do not have someone after 6p. Yes Viva Tangerine and Azurro Clubs are new or have been recently refurbished but they are also AI's and large with 300-500 beds versus smaller properties like PBC.

If you are looking for the best non AI hotels to stay at in Cabarete, I recommend:
Villa Taina: charming, good service, all amenities including ac, cable tv, inroom phone, internet ready, etc. breakfast included, 4 star
El Magnifico: one of the most charming beach properties, especially the new beachfront units. good value. no tv's. cel phone rental available. no reception after 5 or 6p. Gerard and Lisa are quitessential hosts. Quiet, 2 streets from the main strip of Cabarete.
Velero Beach: 4 star property with all amenities, the newest built in Cabarete with the exception of Viva.

If you would like more info, you can email me at Kitexcite for help with your reservation....

Villa Taina is a cool place to grab breakfast or a Happy Pizza for lunch, but the hotel, like Cabarete Palm Beach Condos, has passed its prime and cannot compete w/ Azzurro or Viva Tangerine. Marina -- you seem to be someone who has been here for many years and as such is a traditionalist of sorts. I do not think you are doing readers here a service guiding them away from Viva Tangerine or Azzurro and to the older, less competitive properties. Their owners may be your buddies, but that is not fair to those seeking advice.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Bottomfisher,

Please don't get my following remarks wrong. You've made some good points and expressed them well, I think.

One of the main and obvious differences between the Viva Tangerine and the Azzuro are that T&A (oh dear, thought about changing that last bit, but what the hey) are all-inclusives. Many people, myself included, just don't care for that kind of atmosphere.

I go for the beach, not the pool. I go for the restaurants and bars, not the buffet. I go to meet the Domincan people both inside and outside of wherever I happen to be staying.

Another important factor in choosing where I stay is addressed in the following thread.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31343

Like I said, you make some good points, but I am just trying to say that there are other considerations that may be important to other travellers.

Rose

emily

Dec 1, 2003
PBC Experience

I'll thow my three cents in on this one since I've stayed there. I don't think the women at the front desk are particularly friendly, as a matter of fact they seemed to be vaguely annoyed whenever I asked a question. I didn't feel particularly welcome as a guest there. I was a little perterbed at their complete and total high-pressure insistence on paying cash for my stay as they accept credit cards and the rooms aren't exactly cheap, it's a lot of money to be withdrawing from an ATM. And considering that they market themselves as upscale accomodations, I think they should be a little more gracious about it. I got the feeling there was a secondary more "personal reason" for getting the cash, but I could be wrong about that. There were a number of other money issues with the place that I found annoying, but I won't go into every situation.

I will mention this one thing that got on my nerves. In every room they put a card by the telephone stating that you cannot use calling cards anywhere in the DR so you have to use their international phone service (you can imagine what that costs). This is wrong. Of course international calling cards work in the DR, I use my ATT card all the time. So don't be fooled by this, they just want you to use their service to call internationally. ATT calling cards work just fine at the condos.

On to other issues about the Condos. I found them to be clean, well maintained, reasonably furnished, very private and just fine. The balconies are nice. The pool is small, but the landscaping around it is quite nice. The location on the beach is terrific and the grounds are well kept. It is a very tranquil place It's nice to have kitchen facilities even with all the nice restauraunts all around you. I disagree with the previous poster who said the bathrooms were third world. They aren't the Four Seasons, but I wasn't expecting it. They had double sinks (at least the one I stayed in did) and they were clean, work fine, and reasonably sized. I do agree that someone should be manning the desk 24 hours, after all you are paying about $200 a night for two persons with taxes. One night I heard massive rifle gunshots close to the hotel at about 3:00 a.m. It sure would have been nice to know that there is someone at the desk that could speak english at night if there was an emergency. I wouldn't expect this at lower priced accomodations.

Overall I found it too expensive for what they are providing, but that is just my opinion. I don't like AI's, but next time around I will find somewhere else.

Bottomfisher

Oct 19, 2002
Palm Beach Condo Rudeness Continues

rmary said:
Hi Bottomfisher,

Please don't get my following remarks wrong. You've made some good points and expressed them well, I think.

One of the main and obvious differences between the Viva Tangerine and the Azzuro are that T&A (oh dear, thought about changing that last bit, but what the hey) are all-inclusives. Many people, myself included, just don't care for that kind of atmosphere.

I go for the beach, not the pool. I go for the restaurants and bars, not the buffet. I go to meet the Domincan people both inside and outside of wherever I happen to be staying.

Another important factor in choosing where I stay is addressed in the following thread.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31343

Like I said, you make some good points, but I am just trying to say that there are other considerations that may be important to other travellers.

Rose

As if not being told about the hot water switch (yes, the place is so old that you need to flip an unmarked switch for hot water to build up) for a day wasn't bad enough, I was awoken two nights ago by one of CPBC's workers next door yelling to another employee, as if nobody there is on vacation and sleeping at 10 a.m.

This followed some young, obnoxious employee chastising a guest who wanted to get a therapeutic back massive (in mid day, no less - this was no prostitute) in his condo vs. having to drag himself out to the main street). Then, Nelly apparently failed to read a client's email carefully and comprehend that their final night(explicitly spelled out in an email more than twice) was tonight vs. the previous night (she repeatedly tried to intimidate the client into moving out to another condo vs. staying as they had paid).

Oh, did I forget to tell you that Nelly/Milagros had been telling a long-time client that he had to pay via check sent to New York in advance, but that client ran into a guy from Boston staying there who had just used his credit card to pay for everything?

The horrendous treatment is bad enough, but when you consider that for $55.00 including tax one can walk a few doors down and get his own ocean-view (from balcony) room at a place with three huge pools, two jacuzzi's, 3-5 bars, 3-5 restaurants (food at Azzurro is poor unless you have something made just for you -- way to go), live entertainment (a great jazz band plays at Azzurro), all included in the $55. Gee, would I rather do that (even if I don't want to eat the food) or pay $170 to Cabarete Palm Beach Condo's (double occupancy, or $85/person). Gee, that is a really tough call!

P.S. As I was typing this, something went terribly wrong in this place and our kitchen and part of living room is flooded (it hasn't rained in days). It's as if the CPBC is trying to make it easy on me to give concrete (if any was used to build this place) examples of why it is the biggest sucker's bet in Cabarete.

Just stay here if you want to risk flooded kitchens, experience ancient hardware/infrastructure, have a tiny pool, no jacuzzi, pay for food elsewhere, have horrible customer service, have no ability to receive calls after "business hours", etc. It that is what you want, you have found heaven here at the Cabarete Palm Beach Condominiums (Hans - aren't you glad you didn't call me today?)

Bottomfisher

Oct 19, 2002
Bathrooms Have Gotten Worse at Palm Beach Condos

emily said:
I'll thow my three cents in on this one since I've stayed there. I don't think the women at the front desk are particularly friendly, as a matter of fact they seemed to be vaguely annoyed whenever I asked a question. I didn't feel particularly welcome as a guest there. I was a little perterbed at their complete and total high-pressure insistence on paying cash for my stay as they accept credit cards and the rooms aren't exactly cheap, it's a lot of money to be withdrawing from an ATM. And considering that they market themselves as upscale accomodations, I think they should be a little more gracious about it. I got the feeling there was a secondary more "personal reason" for getting the cash, but I could be wrong about that. There were a number of other money issues with the place that I found annoying, but I won't go into every situation.

I will mention this one thing that got on my nerves. In every room they put a card by the telephone stating that you cannot use calling cards anywhere in the DR so you have to use their international phone service (you can imagine what that costs). This is wrong. Of course international calling cards work in the DR, I use my ATT card all the time. So don't be fooled by this, they just want you to use their service to call internationally. ATT calling cards work just fine at the condos.

On to other issues about the Condos. I found them to be clean, well maintained, reasonably furnished, very private and just fine. The balconies are nice. The pool is small, but the landscaping around it is quite nice. The location on the beach is terrific and the grounds are well kept. It is a very tranquil place It's nice to have kitchen facilities even with all the nice restauraunts all around you. I disagree with the previous poster who said the bathrooms were third world. They aren't the Four Seasons, but I wasn't expecting it. They had double sinks (at least the one I stayed in did) and they were clean, work fine, and reasonably sized. I do agree that someone should be manning the desk 24 hours, after all you are paying about $200 a night for two persons with taxes. One night I heard massive rifle gunshots close to the hotel at about 3:00 a.m. It sure would have been nice to know that there is someone at the desk that could speak english at night if there was an emergency. I wouldn't expect this at lower priced accomodations.

Overall I found it too expensive for what they are providing, but that is just my opinion. I don't like AI's, but next time around I will find somewhere else.

Since my first stay here a few years ago, the bathrooms have disintegrated in my view. The sink on the right didn't drain well (if at all), and they KNEW that before we got there because the stopped was on its side in the sink.

I agree 100% on the cash vs. credit card issue, and also think the intl. phone card notice they post is HIGHLY indicative of the ethics of the condo's owners. I'm pretty sure the cash vs. credit card demand has some unethical (and someone here thought maybe illegal) undertones. They claim it has to do with the currency devaluation, but that is old news (it's stabliized) and is a lame excuse to use on overpriced, shitty rooms.

Gotta run .. seems a pipe just burst in room next door and the kitchen is now flooded in ours. Gotta love this "luxury" place.

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
I love the Magnifico,
I think it is the best value in Cabarete for the ocean front location , amenities, service and the size of the suites.
I have seen and been to the property myself many times and never had a client that ever complained about them . As a matter of fact, everyone always books their next visit, as soon as they come back from Magnifico and the people there are great to work with.

I would recommend it to anyone, any time!
best of luck!

Bottomfisher

Oct 19, 2002
Avoid Cabarete Palm Beach Condos

I returned to the United States only to receive an email response (to a phone call I had directed to Hans Schumaker, the CPBC association president or other title) that stated something to the following effect:

I don't like to be bothered about problems my high-paying customers are having at CPBC, especially on Memorial Day. Take your money elsewhere.

I was not surprised one bit by this response. The fact that labor costs can amount to $100/month (that is correct, per capital income is around $2000/year in the DR) and Hans/Jim Nance are apparently so cheap (or greedy) not to staff the office 24 hours a day to direct phone calls and problems tells you pretty much all you need to know. In my view, they will milk this place in this fashion (excessive daily rates -- twice fair value in my view -- and seemingly bottom of the barrel maintenance on the condo's -- until the place falls to the ground. In the short term, it's smart business. In the long term, it will catch up to them.

This character Hans must be a failed businessman in the US in my estimation -- is this true? Can anyone confirm that he is retired now and why he runs his business this way (i.e., the construction and maintenance leads to customers having problems with the facilities)? Has he been sued in the U.S. before due to similar problems?

Bottomfisher

Status
Not open for further replies.