Rain gone?

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
From reading all your comments in the last month or so it sounds like the DR has had it a bit 'wet'!

Has it improved now? What is this time of year normally like?

Having said that, i suppose rain is better than another earthquake!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Not gone exactly but back to normal it seems. Today was absolutely beautiful here on the North Coast.

Tom (aka XR)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rain rain go away Hilly Billy wants to play

Yo Tom! What's up with all this rain? nearly 16 hours of drizzle drizzle...

i talked to a nice guy on the North Shore and it's raining up there too? don't tell me that my first chance toplay in Months will go astray??

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HB, this is the result of a cold front that came down from Florida.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Ken

I haven't been looking at the weather boards lately, so I was wondering.

Tired-boy: Golf........

HB

mjkalau

Dec 28, 2003
Weather in Cabarete/Sosua

Hate to be a "wet blanket", but we have already had so much troubel with the resort we are staying at (The Cabarete Bay Hote/Estrella Del Mar) or whatever it's called. Most of you know what I mean with all the construction.

Now Palmtree writes it's been raining a lot and I have seen a few of the previous reports that confirm this.
Last year we came to Porta Plata to the Luperon Resort. Great Place, but the weather was really bad. We had only 1 day of sun and on day with some sun. Some days were so bad you couldn't use the beach or pool. This was the middle of Jan.

We come to these places to get away from the cold/snow/rain for a little sunshine and relaxation by the pool or beach and for my hubby and I also for the snorkeling.

We heard the Sosua area had great snorkeling and a superb company, North Shore Divers, so wanted to be in this area.
Unfortunately we can't afford the Sosua Hotel and since there was a special on what was advertised as an "all new 3star plus ressort" in the "Quaint" town of Cabarete and that we could use the facilities of the Sister hotels in Sosua, we jumped at it.

So far we have nothing but heart ache and now rain to boot.
Is this usual for this time of year.
If you were a betting man Ken/ Pete whomever, what would you say we might expect at the end of Jan, beging of Feb.
Please give me just even a wee little bit of good news. Please
MJ

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mjkalau, the two Starz hotels are linked by a van that goes back and forth every half hour or so, except on Sunday. So you should have no trouble. I also think that Northerncoast diving provides transportation. If you plan to go diving, you need to reserve the day before. I just found this out when I checked because our sons are coming for a visit and want to dive.

In a normal year, I would say odds very high that weather will be great. But this winter has not gotten off to a good start. Biggest problem for us has been the fronts of those bad weather systems in this US that have dropped down to the North Coast. No snow or freezing temps, but we have been getting more than our share of rainy, cloudy days.

Even so, I would bet that you had more good days than bad days during your visit.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Weather in Cabarete/Sosua

mjkalau said:
Now Palmtree writes it's been raining a lot and I have seen a few of the previous reports that confirm this. Last year we came to Porta Plata to the Luperon Resort. Great Place, but the weather was really bad. We had only 1 day of sun and on day with some sun. Some days were so bad you couldn't use the beach or pool. So far we have nothing but heart ache and now rain to boot. Is this usual for this time of year? If you were a betting man Ken/ Pete whomever, what would you say we might expect at the end of Jan, beging of Feb.
Please let us know what days you will be coming so we can put away the sun tan oil and get out the rain ponchos. From your description it sounds like you're bringing it with you and I am sure the rest of us down here would like to be prepared.

Just kidding.

Like Ken said, it's been the wettest year I have seen in my three years here. But it's not exactly miserable. We went through three weeks with rains about every day. The last few weeks have mostly been wonderful. Yesterday was glorious! And,. a few hours today here at Xanadu weren't bad either. But it has been cloudy and raining much of the rest of the day. We've had about .73" here so far today.

Still, the rain is warm, and usually the sun's out right after. Whaddaya gonna do? Just wear the snorkeling gear inthe guagua between hotels instead of just while you're under the waves and have fun!

Tom (aka XR)

mjkalau

Dec 28, 2003
Rain

Boy you guy are really on the defensive it sound like.

No we did not have more good days then bad last year, as I said in my post we only had 1 day of sun and one partial day and it wasn't all that hot.
Not exactlly gold, especially compared to Canada, but we had to cover up often.

I,m sorry if you think I shouldn't be upset by all the rain, but last year every tour we tried to take was cancelled except one and it rained then too and cut the tour short.

I just want a little sun for Gods sake, not perfection.
Mj

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
June

XanaduRanch said:
If you don't want to take your chances, or come visit in June, There's always Libya.

Sorry about this but i didnt fully understand your comment. I will be going back to the DR in June this year. What was it you were saying about June? Sorry, i get easily confused, lol.

mjkalau

Dec 28, 2003
RAIN

SORRY TIRED BOY. I DON'T KNOW HOW THINGS GOT SO MIXED UP, BUT I WAS TRYING TO FIND OUT THE CURRENT WEATHER FORCAST FOR CABARATE AREA AS WE ARE ARRIVING JAN.26 IN THE MORNING.

EVEN THOUGH THE WEB SITE SAYS I SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACCESS UP TO DATE WEATHER I CAN'T FIND IT AFTER LOOKING FOR AGES.

SORRY AGAIN YOU GOT DRAGGED INTO THE MISCOMMUNICATION.
MJ

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
No problem m8, i am easily confused haha. I was worrying that you were saying the weather in June is bad or something.