dual citizenship (dr)

josephine

Dec 14, 2003
I'm a U.S. Citizen and married in Dominican Republic. What I wanted to know if there is any way I can obtain a second passport. I've been living in DR for more than 3 years and I always have to pay a fine for overstaying. But I heard if I obtain a second passport I won't have to pay the fine. Anybody knows the process I have to go through to get a second passport?

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Avoiding a fine isn't the best reason to get your residency or seek citizenship. Both processes are expensive and time consuming. There are valid reasons for legalizing your status. IMHO, economics is not one of them. Check the archives, there is a wealth of information on getting your residency and also some information on getting citizenship.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And get a lawyer

This is what they do. Get a lawyer so you can get your residency asap--about 6 months, more or less...

Passport? Why?

HB

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
josephine, (assuming that you are a woman) one of the few sexist advantages here in the DR for a woman is that you, as the wife of a Dominican man who is a citizen , can automatically become a Dominican citizen. (but a foreign man married to a dominicana has to go the hard way to get citizenship)

You may have to first get DR residency or maybe not, but an attorney will know how you can do this. I'll bet that it will be relatively uncomplicated though compared to other procedures here.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Jpsephine:
The first thing you should do is check with the American Citizen's Service Center in Santo Domingo Tel.No. 731-4348, ask for Cristian Olivero, and explain to him what you want to do and why. He will guide you through the procedures necessary to accomplish your goal.

Texas Bill