Pico Duarte Jan 6th URGENT

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
We are three guys planning to leave on the 6th for Pico Duarte, no other date available, but have no idea how to go about it.

We have:
Good sleeping bags
Warm clothes, rain equipment, good shoes etc.
Good spanish knowledge

Any help with dos and don'ts?

Especially:
We drive to Jarabacoa, and then?
In which village should we find the guide, leave the car, spend the night before the trip?

Any recommendations are very welcome!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
URGENT

Get in touch with Oscar Ca?izares, at Camping Tours at 809 583 3121, FAX 581 4524, or 583 7880.....home phone 736 8623

Going to Pico Duarte is NOT something you just pick up and go do!

The number of persons on the trail, the number of mules, food, water and a ton of other things have to be straightened out first.

HB

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Pico Duarte Tours suspended

Thanks HB, you are probably right.
We went yesterday, bought plenty of food and water, and once we got there, we found out, that due to the heavy rain, there will be no tours during the next 15 days.

The last 8 km from Jarabacoa to La Cienaga are very difficult, even with 4x4.
There were lots of guaguas waiting for hundres of students coming back from the tour until late at night.

Apparently parts of the track have been washed away, some hikers ended with broken legs or arms, or lost their shoes in the mud, mules slipped down the hill, and the ones we saw coming back were all covered with mud.

On the way back, there was another landslide and we had to drink a couple of beers, until the road was cleared again.

Anyway, we met a nice guide who explained us how it goes:
We bring the food for us and for him, he takes care of dishes etc and prepares the food.
Guide RD$1000, each mule RD$500 for the entire trip.
Sounds fair and hopefully we'll have the chance to go any other time, preferably in summer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Summer is NOT a good time

These are the months to go up there (Yes it is a mountain, the highest in the Caribbean).
In the summertime, the danger of fire usually prohibits going up there.

Talk to you guide and see when it will be better. Those are good prices.

HB

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
10,000 ft + elevation, it takes a day to go up starting from about 3,000 ft elevation I think.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Okay, here's the plan if we go in summer:
An extra mule which carries the inversor, 4 batteries and the microwave oven.....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gerd

I just talked to Oscar and this is his website:

www.campingtours.net

It should answer most of your questions.

It appears that thee is an overcrowding on the mountain trails and more than a few people are going up there unprepared for the cold, damp weather. -4 degrees C !!! is not to play with.

I wish I could go with you!

HB