La Ley de Lemas

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Someone please help me understand what I read today in the DR online newspapers. The gaggle of PRD candidates are now embracing a law called "la Ley de Lemas". This "law" would allow each political party to submit the names of 5 candidates (per party) for the presidential election.

This would of course allow the many PRD candidates to be on the ballot. The really twisted and amazingly low-brow aspect of this scheme is that the ballots of each party's 5 candidates would be summed. Each party's vote leader would then get the sum total of all 5 of that party's candidates' votes.

The quotes from Milagro Ortiz and others is that they understand that this scheme is the only way they can figure to defeat Leonel.....since not one of them individually can beat Leonel.

My questions are:
1) Am I understanding this correctly?
2) Is this legal?
3) Will this be the straw that will catapult the Domincans to revolt?

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
If the congress pass this stupidity as a law you will see me packing before may and returning after August 16, in an interview to Listin Diario Milagros Bosch told that entity that the only way the PRD had a chance to tackle the PLD Party was by spliting into afew (what ever that means is still the same party) this PRD people don't get the idea that the Dominicans are tired of their ridiulous ways of thinking and governing.................. and yes if they happen to win i will personally train 100 tigueres from EL CAPOTILLO (i'm taking this personally as you can see) We live in this country don't we.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Wow

This is incredible. The PRD has no moral fabric whatsoever, what I really want to know is where the heck did they get this voting "system" from Afghanistan?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Watch shortly for a complete dr1 update on the Ley de Lemas -- with comments from those in favor and against. I'd say should be up in about an hour. We went ahead to post the summary of the holiday news earlier after the government surprised everyone declaring 6 January a working day -- 5 January was the day off.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Dolores, excellent treatise on the Ley de Lemas. I am especially curious on the constitutionality of the law. I think this is a HUGE issue. This potential law embodies everything despicable about corrupt DR politicians.

ERICKXSON, count me in...and make that 101 tigueres in revolt.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Lema

The PRD is blatantly abusing its grab on power. This aberrant lust for power is a true menace to the prospects of liberty and prosperity on the country. They aspire to hijack the
entire Dominican nation into their inferno of greed and dirty tricks.
They have caused enough damage to the economy already.
The country's image of a developing nation, that recently had a very dynamic economic growth spurt; has now changed back to that of a cartoonish banana republic led by a buffoon. Who would want to provide financial incentives to a country led by clowns and thugs? They put party ahead of country. They now want to hold on to power even if none of its candidates gains an electoral majority. This legislative and legal maneuvering is reminiscent of Trujillo's ascendance into power and that of many other desposts, including Hitler blackmailing the Kaiser to hand over the German government. The people must speak with one voice: No a la Ley de Lemas, (O el PRD se Quema!!???)
....alright, alright, alright,...no fire

-Tordok

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
To those who cite the "Constutionality" of the proprosed actions,

you obviously don't know that the Dominican Constitution is just a piece of paper,not a "Holy Grail" as in the USA and some other "REAL" countries! It has been "Changed" and re-newed many times over the years! It is always in flux,at the whim of the party with the votes to change it! The "People" have nothing to say about those changes! Soooooooo,it means nothing! Just a Political Piece of Paper!

"Buckel Up" ladies and gentlemen,the ride is about to begin!!!

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Chris is right. Here the constitution holds no real ground or bearing. It changes directions everytime it suits a specific group that becomes a majority. Our history records show the easness in which the Rojos and the Azules changed the constitution everytime they gained control of the island after the independence of 1844. Also in the era of Lillis and then during the Trujillo regime our magna carta was manipulated. For political and cold war reasons it was again changed with as Don Juan was handed his hat on the way out of the palace in '63 and

Balaguer was right all along, it is just a piuece of paper, that has been most recently molded it to benefit his biggest critics, the PRD. Now the whites are scrambling for one last opportunity to stay in power and they inmerse the whole island in a debate wheather this Ley de Lemas calls for a revision to the constitution or not. Who cares, because if it calls for a revision, they are going to do it anyways, so why not just get to the point, declare the situation not apt for elections and lets get this fight started!!!

Ohh well, who cares. its just a new version of the same ole crappe.

Our ley de Lemas is derived from the same law that is or was applied in Uruguay and I believe its still in use there and in Argentina.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What's even worse, is that 99% of Dominicans will sit back and watch this happen.

Once again... Power is shared by the few at the expense of the majority.
So much for power to the people...

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Certainly an outstanding summation, Dolores!

I do believe that the central point will revolve around the Constitutionality of this.

An important point to remember is that the Cardinal spoke out against this.

HB

max43

Jan 1, 2004
Hummmm....It look like the sh*t will hit the fan pretty soon hey...

If I understand well this "La Ley de Lemas" was invented to dilut the vote and win the jack pot for another 4 years...

--- Or ---

As it say it the article post from Dolores:

"" Violation of the Constitution?

The Foundation for Institutionalism and Justice (Finjus) warned that if Congress accepts the Ley de Lemas, it would take action with the Supreme Court of Justice on grounds that the bill violates the Constitution....""

"" Various sectors of the country are concerned that any assembly to revise the Constitution could open the door for political entities to take advantage of the opportunity and pass other reforms, such as a unification of the presidential and legislative elections for year 2006. This would extend President Mejia's present term for another two years."" :confused:

---Or---

All this sh*t will create a Smoke Screen (revolution) that will give a chance to some people to escape with money, without having to justify what they done....

Hummmm like CC mention it ....

??"Buckel Up" ladies and gentlemen,the ride is about to begin!!!??

Max

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
no....the ride is not about to begin.

....for those of us living here, we are already well into the 'ride'.

what many of you don't realise is that while most of us foreigners are waiting for a big "hoo-ha" to happen, or some kind of mini revolution, most dominicans just accept the situation as it is.
this is the only "democratic" country i know where people don't even throw the odd egg at a politician as some sort of protest.
an attitude quite alien to most of us.

in all this time we have had only one general strike in the capital, much less than the previous government's term.
maybe there will be a bit more tire burning, but that is about it.

don't wait for any day of calamity, you should already be buckled up....and looking for a way to get off (the ride).

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Constitutional or not - in any context, this is simply a hideous proposal from a desperate group of people shortly before the elections.

All I can say, is that if these kinds of desparate proposals hit the headlines, somebody somewhere is running scared - and I think it is the current administration - they're getting scared and they're getting mean! I guess it is time to sit back and watch the proverbial hit the fan over the next few months. I think that there is still a positive note in that internationally there seems to be interest in having free, democratic and fair elections here. So, it looks like quite a few people are watching.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
hatuey has told us there is no time to introduce this bollocks before the next election.

it doesn't matter now, if it is possible to change the constitution or not, he has spoken, the law will not pass - hatuey may not be the final choice as prd presidential candidate, but he is the man in control, who always has the winning hand of cards in that party.

without doubt, he would try to introduce it once hipolito is out of the way.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly, How does the Cardenal figure into this. I always learned that the heirarchy of the Catholic Church is part of the problem.