Beach Contamination

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Hello guys,

I have a question for all of you. I heard that Santana Beach by the east coast is contaminated by toxic fluids coming from industries close to the area is that true or not ?

I will apreciated your answer.

Homer Simpson

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Can't answer your question directly, Homer, but I'm hoping someone on this board can.

However, your question raises an issue I have been pondering. In North America and Europe and even in Brazil there are now publicly accessible (often via the Internet in real time) regular ratings of the cleanliness and "bathe-ability" of beaches. Would such a system be of value for the DR? Could it be done there? If so, who should run it?

Seems to me that this is the type of info tourists might want to know when planning a trip, and its public disclosure could prompt some actors to clean up their act and some enforcement officials to do their job. But maybe I am being overly optimistic about the power of "sunlight" (public disclosure)....

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I'm not sure this 100% accurate but, i was there staying at Santana beach resort, and the beach was closed due to the fact that it was being subjected to cleaning due to large amounts of jelly fish found in those waters. What i can advice you on is to avoid the beaches in and near to the city of San Pedro because those are polluted.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
would not work

I feel there would be no way to keep tabs and report the condiditons of the beaches. My reasons are pretty simple. Lets say we had organized som peopel to go an take samples of water at the beaches localy say once a week and then report their findings. What woudl happen to everyone once you started trying to publish those findings and it affected tousism. A mysterious Tigre would be at your house.
Just a thought
JOhn

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Reason of Question

The reason of the question guys is this:

My father in law got a good deal in all inclusive Hotel call Santa Beach and he asked me how do I think about the hotel and I said I don't have idea how is it because I never visited there then I asked to a friend of mine here about the Hotel and he said that he visited the Hotel and by that time they were not allowing people to go to the beach so according with you guys I can give an answer to him because I am not in DR.

I have little knowledge about Bavaro,Macao,Punta Cana and Miches Because I used to live at the east coast.

I guess that you answer guys is that beach is ok.

PS: by the way in George Washington Av, Santo Domingo there is a part of the Malecon where the guys are surfing some times. well
I have been seing garbage in the water for long time I guess not body can give an answer if that water is contaminated or not in Malecon also?

HS

Last edited:

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
You refer to the lovely historical City beach of Guibia located on the Malecon of Santo Domingo...a small strip of beach...commonly used by local surfers...but indeed very polluted specially in rainy weather as the ozama river floods the shoreline with pollution...

As for Santana Beach resort, i stayed last year there, nice grounds, great views, but not impressed with service, beach was off limits at that time, don't know if it is still that way...nevertheless for a first visit to the country i wouldn't recommend it...you can try any other spot in the south coast, try Juan Dolio, if you're looking for great deals...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yes, the waters along SD's Malecon are quite polluted, especially after heavy rains. Not only trash, run-off & industrial effluent from the Ozama, but remember that the sewer systems dump their excess just off the beach during overload periods.

I've always thought that surfers were loco to be swimming there. Certainly won't see a local do it!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: would not work

jsizemore said:
I feel there would be no way to keep tabs and report the condiditons of the beaches. My reasons are pretty simple. Lets say we had organized som peopel to go an take samples of water at the beaches localy say once a week and then report their findings. What woudl happen to everyone once you started trying to publish those findings and it affected tousism. A mysterious Tigre would be at your house.
Just a thought
JOhn
Actually, John, you might think the same would apply to other places heavily dependent on tourism, such as Brazil, Mexico and Spain, but it doesn't. I think you're being a bit too cynical.

Take a look at Mexico's system (in English):
http://148.233.168.204/playas/ver_ingles/mapa_playas.shtml
If you click on Acapulco, for example, you'll see some beaches indicated as "not recommended" and "sanitary risk", and full measurement data given.

Here's how Sao Paulo state in Brazil does it: http://www.cetesb.sp.gov.br/InformacoesAmbientais/qualidade_das_praias/praias.htm

Another example, this one from NE Brazil (Pernambuco), can be found at:
http://www.cprh.pe.gov.br/sec-monit/ctudo-monit-balne-indices-sub.asp

Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
maybe cynical

maybe I am but if I were down there taking samples i would do it during jogs email the info to someone outside the country and let them post it.
John
P.S. if soemone has a way of doing the samples I would have no trouble doing it and sending out the results.
John

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
The "Blue Flag" organization, which certifies water quality at specific beaches and marinas in 23 European countries and South Africa, has already started a pilot program in the Caribbean involving PR, the DR & Jamaica, and has pilot programs in Bahamas & Barbadoes as well. So, like it or not, judgments on the cleanliness of Dominican beaches and their waters is already coming, and if the DR does not keep them clean & certify themselves as such, they will end out losing some of their competitive edge to other regional tourism destinations....

Regards,
Keith

www.blueflag.org

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: maybe cynical

jsizemore said:
maybe I am but if I were down there taking samples i would do it during jogs email the info to someone outside the country and let them post it.
John
P.S. if soemone has a way of doing the samples I would have no trouble doing it and sending out the results.
John
John,
Check out section 4.1.4 of this site, which is from the html version of EPA's book on how to set up a coastal water quality monitoring program. The section specifically deals with "recreational" (swimming) areas.
Regards,
Keith

http://www.epa.gov/ORD/NRMRL/Pubs/625R02017/Beaches_html/chapter4.html#m41