Ls Galeras Road Trip -- Long Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
I?ve had a problem writing this report due to the fact that it wasn?t as anticipated and I do not wish to offend anyone. However, these reports are for the purpose of information, good or bad.

This is a bit long, but let me start by saying that the beach at Las Galeras is beautiful and surprisingly clean. The little town, and I do mean little, is tidy with a couple of nice restaurants. There is one, located in a two story square mini mall like space, that is owned and operated by an Italian lady. The pasta was freshly made and very good. Five of us had dinner, drinks and coffee for less than RD 2,000, including the tip. Can?t remember the name, but it?s the only one in town. The Casa Marina Resort is also located within walking distance. A nice long stroll along the beach will get you there. The luncheon buffet isn?t bad and the prices are on the low side.

Danny, myself, Chris and Isabel left for Samana from Sousa on December 26th. Took us a little longer than expected to get there as we made a wrong turn in Nagua and ended up in San Francisco de Marcus (sp?). At least, the fellow who pointed us in the right direction had a good laugh. Typical bunch of dumb gringos roaming around the countryside!

Earlier in the month, I had looked at accommodations in Las Galeras and asked a couple of folks about the El Marinique. Seemed to be a pretty good deal, so after talking to Chris, we made our reservations and paid the deposit. We arrived at the hotel, after our detour, around 5:30. Andy B and Nicole had errands and were in Samana. No problem, so we ordered drinks.

Danny had a scotch and water, silly me asked for lemonade with a side of rum and almost choked to death when I took a swallow of what seemed to be pure concentrated lemon juice. The waitress worked on it to no avail, so I gave that one up and ordered a pina colada. That was another mistake. Finally I settled for a bottle of water. We ordered a ?picadera? and settled in to enjoy the view while waiting on our hosts and dinner.

Andy and Nichole arrived about 45 minutes later, introduced themselves, and then Andy asked us to register and ?get settled up?. We thought that was a bit odd since, at this point, we haven?t even seem the rooms. There was a minor hassle over dollars versus pesos, and Chris was getting somewhat perturbed. It?s a very small hotel, only one actual room, but we opted for cottages because we were told they had hot water showers. So now our two day stay is all prepaid and we get to look at the rooms. At a glance, not too bad looking, clean, neat with two double beds. Also looked at one of the two apartments. Nicely laid out, but incomplete and sparse looking. By then, we?re hungry, so we just threw our bags on the bed in the cottages and went back to the dining area.

We asked a couple of questions and found out that the advertised pizza is no longer available, so we skipped the appetizer and went straight to dinner. All of us had salad with vinaigrette, only dressing available. Danny and Chris had a Fisherman?s Platter and Isabel and I had Mahi Mahi. The food was served with a good home-made bread, but aside from the baby lobster that the guys had on their platters, all the other items were mediocre at best. A dessert of Apple Surprise was served, but it wasn?t as tasty as described, we barely touched it. We?re all tired and ready for bed, so we asked for the bill and were shocked to learn that our combined tab was well over $100. We asked for a bottle of water to take to the room, and learned that one 16 ounce bottle cost $1.00.

We say goodnight to Chris and Isabel, retire to our cottage, #5 and start to get ready for bed. Since the beds are doubles, Danny chose the one with the light (not very good illumination, but a light) as he wanted to read for awhile. Can?t take a shower because the hot water won?t be turned on until the morning. The bathrooms are tiny with a curtain for a door. That didn?t bother us as much as it did Chris in #3, as we found out the next day. I finish in the bathroom and lay down on my bed ready for a good nights? sleep. I?m a little weird, so I always bring my own pillow, but even that couldn?t do anything about the springs coming through the mattress. Danny?s wasn?t so bad, but I figured it was only for two nights, so I said where I was.

The next morning, after a fitful night dodging springs, I?m ready for a good hot shower. Wrong! I?m not a large person, well, not very large, but that shower stall was extremely small and dark. No hot water or even luke warm. The shower head was pretty bad and the salty water was squirting all over the place. Suck it up, it?s only one more day. We had coffee and toast while we waited for Isabel and Chris, then decided to try another place for breakfast. We ended up in a little Dominican restaurant across from the Italian place. Not bad. Then we did the tourist number around town, which took all of 15 minutes and walked to the Casa Marina Resort and stayed there for lunch before heading back to the hotel.

The only other guest was a young woman at a table by herself, so we asked her to join us. Angela is delightful. Speaks Spanish like a native, well traveled and an all around interesting person. Turns out, she was less that enthralled by our accommodations as well. A little later, the five of us decided on the Italian restaurant for dinner. That turned out to be a good decision.

The next morning, we didn?t see Andy or Nicole. We all had toast and coffee, and said our good byes to Angela. Chris and Isabel invited her to stay with them in Sosua, in case she was bored, which she later did.

Even with the hotel situation, we had a great time and enjoyed the company of friends. On the way back, we found a terrific little restaurant, on the right hand side of the road, 3 km from Nagua (headed in from Samana). Looks new, all yellow and white, right on the beach with very good and inexpensive food.

If you do plan to go to Las Galeras, you may want to check some of the other bed and breakfasts in the area. It is a beautiful drive and the beach is well worth seeing.

Dianne

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Although I read this trip report regarding our el Marinique hotel and restaurant shortly after it was posted by Dianne, I decided to wait to reply as I wanted to respond calmly and logically to what is truly a slanderous report that has been made for reasons other than what appear on the surface. Let me address the issues:

First the issue of our accommodations: we are the cheapest oceanfront hotel accommodations in Las Galeras and if $62usd per night ($59 plus 5% hotel tax) is too much, you should have stayed elsewhere, maybe at Plaza Lusitania located away from the beach on the busiest and noisiest corner in the village. We accepted your 2 night reservation right in the middle of our busy holiday period when stays are normally limited to a weekly minimum only because Hillbilly recommended you. We had to do some shuffling to accommodate you and almost cancelled your reservation when you did not make your deposit on the date you agreed upon but 3 days later. After stalling us for almost a week waiting for your confirmation and deposit, I regret now that we didn?t cancell you. And by the way, you registered and paid the bill AFTER you had put your bags in your cottage. On our website which you saw, it clearly states that the balance due is paid upon checkin.

We truly did not know that there was a bedspring emerging from an older mattress in cottage #5. We have a new maid this year and she had not yet learned to check for any problems in our accommodations. She checks now and I am truly sorry this happened. Had you told me about this when you discovered it, we would have immediately changed the mattress no matter what the time of the day or night. We were in the restaurant for well over an hour after you left for bed so you had plenty of time to tell us of this shortcoming. You didn?t because you were pissed at me and of which I will explain below.

Our new apartments may appear sparse but that is only from a lack of wall hangings on the bare walls. We don?t want to put mass-produced Haitian art on the walls but are looking for genuine Dominican art which we have yet to find to our liking. They ARE fully-furnished right down to the pot of live plants in the living room. The apartments (and our cottages) are however, spotlessly clean and neat, a fact which you neglected to mention. And yes the plumbing fixtures are corroded but then all the water under Las Galeras contains salt and this plays havoc with everything.

You sat in the restaurant and in 45 minutes drank $28.25 worth of booze and ate a plate of ?munchies.? Your husband had doubles for the price of singles, and with the required 10% service and 12% ITBIS the total bill was $34.81 (and you weren?t charged for the lemonade). You were waiting for Nicole and I to rush back from an unexpected trip to Sosua (not Samana). With eight hours of hard driving including a side trip to Las Terrenas, all we could think of was to get back to serve you as we knew you would be waiting to try Nicole?s ?mediocre? food. It must not have been that bad as your plates came back empty including the Apple Surprise dessert which you claim to hardly have touched. My dogs were not happy as you and your party ate everything and left them no scraps.
The total dinner bill which included a full course meal (appetizer, entr?e, dessert and coffee) for you and your party came to $19.88usd per person before taxes and service charges which by law we are required to put on the bill. Including these required charges, the total for dinner for 4: $97.94usd which is less than $25 per person, an industry average; so much for being ?greedy? as observed by another poster in this thread. All food prices including a notation about service and tax charges are prominently posted on our large, chalkboard menu and guests are free to order as little or as much as they want.

Now let?s get down to the REAL reason you have penned this poisoned report: after dinner when you were relaxing on the veranda you made several disparaging remarks about Dominicans. It?s a good thing that Chris?s Dominican girlfriend doesn?t understand English as she would gotten up and left. And when I called you to task about speaking about them in this derogatory manner you became pissed and indignant especially after I made the observation that Dominicans tend to take better care of their children than Americans do (even though I am not only an American but a father and grandfather as well, and my grandchildren even have a Dominican mother!). For reasons unbeknownst to me at the time, it was apparent that you were most unhappy with life on this island.
This was confirmed to me by several DR1?ers who know you when I asked about you several days later.

Their answer: that you are very unhappy living here and even after 9 months are not adjusting well and probably should return to live in the states. In view of this may I respectfully suggest not to let the door hit you in the ass on the way off the island and out of this country and away from it's people which you dislike so much.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, I deleted a bunch of posts. Once again, we have seen a thread that could have actually been educational and informative go down the tubes due to the idiotic behavior of a few. Well done people, you should be proud.
Thread Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.