Support organic farming

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This Friday, 9 January, the Mercado Ecologico located at Calle Leonor Feltz No. 40, Mirador Sur, Santo Domingo (near the Supermercado La Cadena of the Sarasota) promises a full stock of organic fresh produce. For more information, call Dra. Andrea Brechelt at Tel. 809 482-7463 and 482-0561. This is a worthwhile effort.
_

ok, i found it

"Organic' is a labeling term that denotes products produced under the authority of the Organic Foods Production Act. The principal guidelines for organic production are to use materials and practices that enhance the ecological balance of natural systems and that integrate the parts of the farming system into an ecological whole." "Organic agriculture practices cannot ensure that products are completely free of residues; however, methods are used to minimize pollution from air, soil and water." "Organic food handlers, processors and retailers adhere to standards that maintain the integrity of organic agricultural products. The primary goal of organic agriculture is to optimize the health and productivity of interdependent communities of soil life, plants, animals and people."

Its a shame that we have to use such a term. Simply "growing your food" Technology is so far advanced that we can't even grow food normally. And when people do decide to simply plant a seed and let it grow with proper nutrients we call it "ORGANIC".

I guess in order to have mass production of produce, it can't be "ORGANIC". We wonder why people get various forms of Cancer.

So I guess a three piece Organic fried chicken Meal is out of the question.

But I do support efforts that Dolores has advertised.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
exactly my point

How many peopel truly trust any thing that says certified inthe DR. who certifies it. The owner of the store may in good faith be selling what he thinks is organic but who says the Famrer is really doign it organic.
JOhn

I agree. We grow much of our own vegetables during the spring and summer and it sucks when you have a bunch of Japanese Beetles destroying your efforts. There are tons of natural pesticides such as pesticide soap, which is nothing but soap that makes the insects slip of the leaves. Or growing various Herbs around your produce, such as garlic that many insects hate to be around. But most of the agents sold on the shelf is nothing but plain old poison. I know that even the organic growers are using pestiicides if they are growers at a large scale. I would trust the word of a small grower of produce, because I beleive large growers cannot not control insects without using pesiticides. Especially when they have to control several hundred acres.

So the question is how will you not know if its orgainic or not unless you visit the farm. Even then you need to ask questions. The chances are, I beleive, the smaller the farm, the more likely the chances it could handle "Organic" growing. i.e. no or limited unatural pesticides.

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
maybe not the best test

If the guy delivers vegatables off of horse drawn cart I would probably think if is oragnic. I realize it is not the best way of telling.
I have noticed that down there if someone does not want to ever leave there house they can literally get by with sitting in the front yard and everything will be offered for sale or delivery. I would think if I was out in the boonies somewhere I could find a small farmer that rasied his own vegetables and then I would trust and be willing to pay for the words organic.
But then again I would as soon as I get settled in my own house be growing as much of my own as I could. Including eggs, milk and lard. what can I say I come from WV peasent stock.
Delores I actually applaud this mans efforts and am glad you found the place. I just know the kind of fraud that was going on in the US over organic in the 70s and 80s. If this guy knows his sources and you trust him then great. But I think I would just look at the quality and buy it based on that and hope for the best. If his quality is good then that is the best you can hope for.
John

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
When I am in the Campo

Once I get there long enough to be in the campo I will work out stuff with the local farmers to get what I don't do myself. Realizing that of course I will be payig rather than trading due to me being considered a rich gringo. But when I have my UV water system I will have a spigot set up so my neibors can get safe water from me. I figure if I am goign to live in the Campo I should not be a fortress.
John

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
wait until your neigbors start washing there cars or watering their pigs with your filtered water. Make some rules now.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
rules

I figured I would put a water fountain facet the type you hold down and not set up for a water hose
John
aint there yet. 17 months to go. Thats the beuty of it I can spill my gits to you guys and you set me strait first.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Organic bananas are gown in the DR. The DR is one of the worlds largest produces. The growers do not use pesticides or chemicals on the trees etc. The growing technique is different to regular bananas.

The certification comes out of Europe for the farms that I know. These farms are regularly inspected by European buyers to make sure the product adheres to their quality and organic growing standards.
Certification is a long and very expensive process. But if you want to sell your organic bananas in Europe, then you have no choice but to go through this process. The upside is that people pay a premium to eat bananas that are not grown using pesticides or chemicals.

We have 1 or 2 of the worlds leading experts on organic banana growing that regularly post on this board. I will leave it up to them if the feel they would like to add anything to this thread.

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Thanks robert

So we do know there is a non DR oversite for at least part of the produce here. What about the rest of it? For me it is worth the difference in price. The nutients are ususally better because for someone to sucessfully go organic they have to make sure the soil is right to fight off the bugs and molds and so forth. Insect attack the weak sick plants.
John

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I buy organic bananas in the US from the DR for $.99 a lb. and regular bananas are between .39 and .59 a lb. As the bananas ripen, the organic taste better while the non-organic taste worse. I know they spray the non-organic with something before shipping and I can really tell the difference. Now organic ginger is $6.00 a lb and non organic about $2 or $3 a lb. I can't tell the difference.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Thanks robert

jsizemore said:
So we do know there is a non DR oversite for at least part of the produce here. What about the rest of it? For me it is worth the difference in price. The nutients are ususally better because for someone to sucessfully go organic they have to make sure the soil is right to fight off the bugs and molds and so forth. Insect attack the weak sick plants.
John

I can only speak about bananas. I have seen the farms and know the owners.

Most of the good produce never see's the local shelves. Often you only see the "B grade" produce in DR supermarkets, the stuff the growers cannot export.

I have found the best place to buy fruit and veg is off the Hatian street vendors. It's cheaper and better quality. I have no idea if it's organic :)

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
go for the quality

Like I said I will go for the Quality and hope for the best. Since my total ambition is to be a professional bum when I get these I guess growing my own would be the way to go.
John
P.S. When I was in Africa a few eyars back the local banana farms had special tours for the vacationers and our case the Sailors and we bought bananas and pineapples by the case. I have not seen any info for the in the DR. Am I looking in the wrong spot?
John

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This article also on the Dominican Cooking site, answers many of the questions about the credibility of the Mercado Ecologico's products and organic certification in the DR.

Chiri

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Some of you guys with questions about organic produce should take advantage of Chris' offer in the prior thread on this subject to organize a visit to the organic banana farm & see how it works firsthand.