My 2003 trip report

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok now that it?s snowing like crazy I have time to write my trip report. The non-sankie related one. Hope not to bore anyone.

Sunday Nov. 23
I went to Toronto to stay at my son?s place. He lives10 minutes from the airport.
Monday Nov.24 / 4:20 am we leave for the airport. In line, checked in and have my boarding pass by 5:00 am. 5:30 we start to board. I watched very carefully how a bunch of Canadians board a plane after reading Larry?s report. Well sir by 6:10 we have everyone on board, bags in overhead compartment we all have our seat belts on without being told to do so. Everyone is quiet and ready to go. The departure time was 6:35 am but it?s 6:20 and we are pulling out of the gate. Darn big airport. We drove around till 6:40 and off we went. Flight was good, no problems.
Landed in POP at around 11:20 am local time. Marco was waiting for me and he drove me to Sosua. The first person I spotted at Rocky?s was Scott. Big hug for him and we had lunch along with Garry and Joan. Got settled in my room. Which like I said in another thread was very clean with a big bathroom tiled floors good bed and a color TV that was good to have late at night before going to sleep.

Later that night I met Mary and Alan for the first time and we had dinner together.
Food at Rocky?s was always delicious and those ribs are everything that people say they are. I?m not a fan or ribs but I had to try them to see what everyone raves about and I must say the ribs at Rocky?s are the best I?ve tasted for a long time. Prices are very reasonable as well. Water 10 pesos, most dinners are around 180 pesos and the amareto sour drinks were 75 pesos. Most of his lunches are 70 pesos. Presidente 40 or 45 pesos. I don?t drink that much so I can?t remember.

Tuesday Nov.25
It was nice and sunny so I headed for the beach. The trees have really grown around the beach so since I hate sitting in direct sunlight. (The wrinkle factor you know) I got a chair under the trees. I love the sound of the ocean it calms my soul.
I stopped in at the Brittiana on my way back later that day but Barb and Linden had the day off but Lindo was still there so I had a drink and headed back to the hotel.
That evening I met with Xanadu and Alba, he is a very nice and funny guy and I tried my best to talk to Alba in Spanish. I recognized x-man when he walked in so he joined us. Dale (gringodiablo) joined us as well. It was a pleasant evening.

Wednesday Nov.26
Sunny again. Met with more DR1ers for lunch. Scott, Alberto, La proffesora, Diane & Danny. After lunch we went to what used to be only a cigar store. On Pedro Clisante but now they have added an espresso caf?. They have All kinds of different coffees. Price 15 pesos for espresso and 25 for cappuccino.
Jan & Mike arrived at 4 p.m. We spent the better part of the evening sampling the different dishes at Rocky?s. Late that night Jan wanted to head out to a Dominican place for dancing so we took a cab to the car wash but it was only Wednesday so it wasn?t very busy and the High Caribbean was closed. The taxis driver suggested Latino?s which is on Pedro Clisante so off we went. We had fun there. Like I said before I?m used to loud,
very loud music but this was worse than a rock concert. We didn?t get back till 4 am. That?s all I?m saying.

Thursday Nov. 27
Rained in the morning. E-mailed my kids to tell them I was still alive. Rocky?s has a nice spacious corner for Internet use for only 10 pesos for 15 minutes. Went to the bank and got 42-1 that day. Ran into Danny and Dianne and we went to the registry office to get a copy of their marriage certificate. I was so surprised how fast and efficient they we able to find it and make them a copy. It was Danny & Diane?s 10th anniversary a few days later so we celebrated a little but we had to preserve our energies for later that night. After all this was the big day to meet the rest of the DR1ers.

I volunteered to be the greeter at the door so I could welcome everyone and also get to guess who everyone was. I recognized most of the people from pictures I?ve seen over the last few years. Everyone was wonderful and friendly and I can?t say enough good things about each and every one of you. I won?t name any names here in fear of leaving anyone out but you have seen the pictures. It was truly a great experience to meet you all.
I decided to head back to Santo Domingo the next morning with Jan and Mike so we said we wouldn?t stay up late because some of the DR1ers were going to meet for breakfast at 8am. So we turned in early. Early in the morning that is.

Friday Nov. 28
Someone is banging at my door saying ?it?s your wake up call?. It was Jan. So we all had breakfast, I packed a bag, said goodbye and we headed to Los Charamicos to catch the bus. The price was160 pesos one way to Santo Domingo. We tried to sleep but Jan; Mike and I had so much to talk about. It was a good way to see the country. We arrived in SD around 5pm. After checking on sniffy we headed to a nice restaurant to relax and have a drink in Zona Colonial. Jan?s very good friend Mamita joined us. Later that evening we went to what Jan calls the old people?s dance place. Very small place but looks like fun and right next to it was a gay bar. It was fun to sit outside and watch it all. I was so tired. I?d had only three hrs sleep in the last 30 hrs and was starting to fall apart so Mike and Jan walked this old lady back to Jan's apartment but they headed back out.

Saturday Nov. 29
Took some pictures from Jan?s balcony. Too tired to go touring around. Mike and I decided to head back. He was stopping in Santiago and I would go on to Sosua. So needless to say there was lots of hugging and tears when the taxi arrived, as we had to leave Jan behind. Got into Santiago around 3 p.m. More tears as I said good bye to Mike.
Got into Sosua around 5:30 p.m. Very tired. Slept for a long time. It rained a lot that night so I had dinner at Rocky?s and I?m glad I did because I met Chris (kenoshachris) and Isabel. They are very nice couple. I called my little Internet buddy that I?ve talked to on MSN for the last three years. He and his parents would be coming into Sosua the next day to meet with me. Didn?t go anywhere that night, (OMG I didn?t go anywhere on a Sat. night?) Too tired needed to sleep.

Sunday Nov. 30
Had breakfast with Danny, Diane, Chris and Isabel. Said goodbye to Danny and Diane but I would be seeing them again when I would visit them in Santiago. Went for a walk changed some money. Got 41.5 that day. Bought a Fernando Villalona CD for 350 pesos. It was an original; no honestly it really was an original copy. Got a couple of maracas for the musicians in the family for 100 pesos. My buddy arrived at around 3 p.m. and his parents asked me to go to Puerto Plata with them so off we went. We stopped in to visit his grandparents first. Had some real Dominican coffee then we went for a drive to see the malecon and the fort. I wanted some seafood so we went to a place just outside of Puerto Plata. Didn?t see any tourist there. Had some really good Dominican dishes of seafood. Another tour around and it was getting late. The road to Sosua is under construction so I didn?t want them driving all the way in and back home so I said it was easier for me to take a bus back to Sosua. The ticket office was closed and I thought I could get ticket on the bus. They waited with me till the bus arrived but the bus driver said he didn?t sell tickets on the bus but he would take me to Los Charamicos. That was so nice of him.

Monday Dec.1
Rained in early morning but sunny later. Still had a desire for seafood so I headed for La Roca. Very good clam chowder, a huge bowl was 199 pesos and a Caesar salad was 90 pesos, water 25 and espresso 30. This was the most expensive lunch I had in Sosua. Total bill with taxes and service was 403 pesos.
So since it was sunny I headed for the beach again. Good time to rest.

Tuesday Dec. 2
Santa Cruz bank doesn?t change traveler?s checks and they were giving 40-1 so I went back to Banco de Reserves and got 41.30 to 1. The change houses were only giving 39-1. It was another sunny day and spent more time at the beach.
Later that night Mary wanted to have real Dominican Rice and beans so we went to Gavida which is the one near Codetel office and we had a nice dinner of rice and beans and chicken for 110 pesos. Had an early night still trying to catch up on my sleep.

Wednesday Dec. 3
Said goodbye to Mary and Alan. What a nice couple they are and that Alan is such a hottie. (Thought I?d make your day Alan)
I headed for the beach, which would be my last time due to that hurricane coming through.
The boys that rent chairs have gotten to know me by know so this was the day they told me more about the sankie stories that I did a thread on before. Really enjoyed my last day on the beach. It was very quiet time of the year and I love it. The waves were strong and that relaxes me.

Thursday Dec.4
Packed a bag and on my way to the bus station I stopped in to visit with Barbara and Ken at the condo. We had a good visit but it started to rain. It poured. Barbara walked me out with her umbrella because of course this was the day I left mine back at the hotel. Got a ticket to Santiago, 70 pesos but the taxi to get to Los Charamicos is 100 pesos. Danny and Diane were waiting for me at the bus station. We headed for their home which is in Villa Gonzalez. They are such a wonderful. friendly and generous couple. They have a lovely home and did everything they could to make me feel welcomed.
That evening we went to Tobaco caf?. The owner is a cousin of Danny?s. We had great tasting Dominican food, a few drinks and spent most of the night there.

When we got back to D&D?s house, Diane had baked a cake to take to Hillbilly?s the next day so I wanted to help her make a chocolate frosting. It sounded like the same one I make at home but to my surprise first of all I was trying to make whipped cream and let me tell you they have ?real? cream in the DR like I?ve never seen. Only took a few minutes for me to make butter so we had to start again. I wasn?t very good at helping make that chocolate frosting either so I thought I should head for bed. That woman is amazing. She is full of energy and she stayed up most of the night to take this wonderful meal to take over to Hillbilly?s. Southern chicken and dumplings and the chocolate cake.

Friday Dec.5
We headed to Santiago to visit Hillbilly?s Hovel. Anyone that has visited the Hovel knows how everyone is welcomed to his home and soup?s on for anyone coming in. We brought some of the lunch and there was plenty of other food on the table as well. Had a good visit with Hillbilly and also met Mr.?s Hillbilly. Got some pictures met some of the family. Hillbilly was busy trying to arrange a truck to get into Haiti so he suggested that we go a have a tour around the new Leon Museum. It?s very interesting and if you?ve never been there you should go at least once. Admission was 50 pesos. The clouds were getting thicker and it was now almost 4pm so I thought it best if I headed back to Sosua. I missed the 4:15 bus so I got a ticket for 5:15. I ran into my Internet buddy. He goes to school in Santiago then goes back to Puerto Plata for the weekend. I said bye to Danny and Diane. Thanked them so much for the wonderful time I had not only in Santiago but also while they were in Sosua. This woman is a hoot and so much fun to be around and dear Danny puts up with us all.

Saturday Dec. 6
Storm heading to the DR. It was cloudy for most of the day. I went to say good bye to Barb and Linden at the Britannia.
So it?s my finally Saturday here and it?s raining and I?m not staying in. Got dressed up and went back to Latino?s but hardly anyone was there. Could it be the rain? A nice young man came over to talk to me and said that everyone goes over o the High Caribbean on the weekend so I asked him if he wanted to go so off we went in a taxi. High Caribbean wasn?t busy either. Must be the rain and yes I did go late it was past midnight. He brought a lady over to sit with us. She was a blonde from Finland. He dance with both of us and at times all three of us dancing together. It was around 2:30 am when I decided to go back so I said bye to both of them. I think the little guy was a little disappointed perhaps he thought he was going to have a wild night with both of us.

Sunday Dec.7

I think I?ve been here too long I?m actually complaining it?s too cold. I spent the day with someone I met a long time ago and I?m very sorry but I?m not writing the details of that day but it was great.

Monday Dec 8
I?m packed and ready to go. Said good bye to Scott for about the forth time. Too much snow in NY for him to fly out since Friday. Marco drove me to the airport.
Thank you Marco.
So that?s my report. Some names have been left out to protect the innocent and the drunk.
Thanks to all of you for making my trip such a pleasurable and memorable one.
Planning on getting back sooner this time.

Last edited:

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Wonderful report...

I am flattered. All those kind words, when it was you who made our day. I am sure that most of you folks who know or who have at least met Anna will agree that she is a "class act". Lovely person and a joy to be around. Come on back any time, your room is always ready.

Lord, this is starting to sound like a MAS ad.

Dianne

Dec 9, 2002
Re: Wonderful report...

D & D said:
most of you folks who know or who have at least met Anna will agree that she is a "class act". Lovely person and a joy to be around
Spot on Diane! I met Anna for the first time this trip, she is so easy to be around, and so much fun. I hope our paths will cross again someday.

Anyway Anna, great trip report - guess I'll just have to use my imagination on the bits you left out ;) ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, a very nice report Anna

Thank you for all that roving and reporting....That last Sunday sounday sounded positively intreguing(?)...

Anyway, you have to know that you are always welcome at the Hovel...and Tania appreciates you fine photography...

Me, I am on a diet! Damn, that camara of yours sure puts on the pounds!!

It was great to have you and D&D over that day, I am just sorry it was so hectic...

Would you believe that it is still pretty rough? Still, with all the problems in Hait?, I just hope my guy is okay...

Well Anna, I hope we don't have to wait another five years to see you again..Thank you again for a very interesting post.

HB

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Excellent report Anna. Well done, properly organized and factual (she did say I was a hottie). Maybe some day I can write a trip report. I'll do it now for the north coast......
went to Rocky's, drank beer, ate a great meal, drank more beer, went home to bed.
now for the south coast trip report......
went by to pick up Jan, drank beer, ate a great meal, drank more beer, went home to bed.
It's great to be Dominican.