El Expreso Newspaper

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Why a tragedy? The newspaper should never have been published in the first place. It was a kick reaction to the appearance of Diario Libre (of the original Bancredito financial group), which today survives because I believe it pays its way. The Expreso was only published because of the artificial bonanza of the Baninter group, later to be continued by the artificial bonanza of the Mej?a government that intervened and took over the Baninter publications. That means, taxpayers in the DR were picking up the bills for this publication.

On the other hand... talking tragedy of Dominican journalism... Alicia Estevez, commenting on the disappearance of Rumbo and the Expreso recently, said the downside is that with the closing of media there are less job opportunities for Dominican journalists which she says will mean Dominican journalists will tend to be less independent in their work as they bend to their bosses interests to try to hold on to their jobs.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Thank you Dolores i was not aware of those details, i'm pretty sure more websites and magazines will be rolling out soon since these jobless journalists will keep busy.