taino artefacts

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i did a search on this one and couldn't find anything.

legal question:
if someone were to give you authentic taino artefacts as a gift, and you had no way of knowing where they came from, would everything be considered kosher?
what i mean is, do these artefacts come under any legal 'protection' or can any muggins buy them down the local tourist shop?

late-night horror movie question:
even more worringly, do these things carry some kind of evil curse?
what i mean is, would you be considered mad if you were to put them in a closed box and stuck a couple of heavy items on top of that box to prevent them getting out in the middle of the night?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bochinche,
You sure found yourself in one.. a bochinche that is.
Don't know about the artefact status of the item. I'll refer to it as a souvenir.
You are watching too many late night movies.
If you are worried about it's being evil, get rid of it.
Otherwise, display it proudly to honor the tainos, especially the one who made it.
We brought back several carvings we got from a couple of artists at La Isabella.
All I can say is fascinating. Just call me Spock.
Legally, I haven't got a clue.
mk

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
remember this is......... hypothetical.

my question regards artefacts not souvenirs, probably direct from some prospective archaeological dig. haven't even been cleaned up properly, so when you hold them your hands get covered in red dirt.

in many countries if you came across something like this, they would automatically belong to the state (probably rightly so in most other countries).

if it was one or two pieces nobody would think anything, but imagine if you came across a few more. what is the official stance for this?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For a muggin

you are very perceptive.
And you are right. They do belong to the State, but that doesn't mean that thousands of pieces aren't taken out of here heach year.

And there is a thriving business in fakes, too. A reputed college professor was supposedly taken in by one huckster and purchased $ thousands of dollars worth of garbage! At one time they were using them as soorstops!!

There was an interesting article in yesterday's paper about a little museum in JANICO, that has a very good collection on display..

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HB is right about the thriving business in fakes. During the years that I lived in Samana, I was offered countless objects that supposedly were Taino artefacts. Most looked like the ones bochinche described. They were not clean and looked as though they had just been taken from some cave or hole in the ground. Smart vendors selling the sizzle as well as the steak the gullible.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
fakes....it didn't even occur to me.
if they are fakes i feel kind of relieved actually.

as i said they were a gift, and so i didn't pay a penny for them...............er....hypothetically speaking.

maybe i'll let them out of the box to-night.