Our Dominican Adventure?

Chi-Town

Jan 9, 2004
Our Dominican Adventure..(added link to pictures)

It started with curiosity and a desire for a unique vacation. After talking with some friends (who are French) about the possibility of a vacation in the Dominican Republic, they convinced us that there was no place like Las Terrenas. We are pretty seasoned travelers, been to lots of places, including third world countries. Much thanks to DR1 members for great trip advice and assistance with our travel plans.

We arrived in Santo Domingo and our arranged transport was waiting to carry us to Hotel Esmerelda, located on Calle Elvira Mendosa in the University District, formally known as Metur II. There?s an interesting story as to why the name change? but I?ll stick to the trip report. It was a cool spot, small, quaint, and definitely not a tourist joint. Which is exactly what we wanted. I loved the architecture and the potential of the building. Needless to say, it was a very small room, clean, with a tiny private bathroom (and hot water). We only needed it for one night. We planned to catch the 7-am bus to Sanchez the following morning?. So with our one night in SD we walked about the neighborhood, taking it all in, listening to the sounds and hustle of the city. We hopped a taxi to the Zona Colonial, explored the gorgeous structures, took in the historic sights, music on the streets, and beautiful people. We noticed several people starring at us as we explored the area, and after talking to a concierge at the Sofitel (which is a must see hotel; beautifully designed, and aesthetically brilliant) He said, ?I thought you both were Dominican?. He was stunned that we didn?t speak Spanish, and was overly surprised that we were in fact, American, African-American. After the small talk, he directed us to an area where we?d have lots of choices for dinner. And so we enjoyed an overpriced meal outdoors in a very nice setting. Our taxi driver got lost taking us back to the Hotel Esmerelda, poor guy? he drove around and around the same area 12 times looking for it. Then, he got a flat tire?.we stepped out; he fixed it in no time, and still couldn?t find the hotel. Eventually, after asking everyone on the street for help, he found it.

The Caribe bus to Sanchez was right on time, not a bad ride at 7-am, and it was interesting to see the people and towns along the route. We arrived at Casa Los Holandeses (450 meters from Playa Bonita) and were greeted with fresh fruit, rolls, coffee, juice, exactly what we needed after such a long journey. Our bungalow was pleasant, (clean kitchenette, dining room, bedroom, nicely tiled bath). It was the right price and good for a 5-night stay. We got a map, a motorcycle, changed, and headed straight for the beach.

We spent our days exploring the beaches, liked the privacy and wave action of Playa Bonita, and enjoyed the restaurants and people watching in Playa Casa Blanca. We found lunch at the Coyamar Hotel to have great prices and a menu with a large selection. We rode the motorcycle into town at least once a day. The shopping, banks and supermarket were all good experiences. We always found what we needed, and the Spanish we learned in college slowly got better with practice? We loved the ride along the coast? the palm trees and water with the open rode are so peaceful. We dipped in a bunch of different restaurants; the grills along Playa Casa Blanca are good for grilled chicken sandwiches or burgers w/ fries. I thought the service at the Atlantis Hotel was consistently superb! The food is also good, but not for daily meals $$$. They do make the best cappuccinos and have an out of this world apple pie. That was our sundown snack. It?s cool (meaning good) at the Atlantis, sitting by the water? a nice element to the day. The trip to El Limon is spectacular (must do). The horse ride and hike to get there is well worth it, a truly beautiful sight. I suggest you wear jeans and sneakers, and bring bug spray for your ankles.

Overall, Las Terrenas proved all plus more than we expected. It is a vibrant town with just enough action and relaxation that makes a satisfying vacation. I did not find the Dominican people to be as overly nice and friendly as expected from reading DR1 posts. I did however observe and witness the extras that go into pleasing people of European decent. I was not treated with disrespect at any time. In fact, because we blended into the fabric so very well, I feel that we experienced the truest sense of Dominican people and Las Terrenas.

Some pictures from Las Terrenas(added link to pictures)

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for a very interesting report

I mean, I live here, and I have never even been interested in Las Terrenas. Now I feel an itch cominig on.

I love the peninsula, and have been visiting it since 1968! Oh my God! I just re-read that!...

Anyway, thank you for a very useful post.

HB

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Great trip report.

I will tell Jos and Ann, that you enjoy staying at their place, pictures are great, and you do look dominican.
WebDev

cheekychappo

May 29, 2004
Another Dominican Adventure

Before I start I have to say that my heart goes out to those who have been the victims of, or are related to the victims of the tragic events that have happened over the last few weeks in the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

I, quite by accident, read your entry in the DR1 forum today and immediately felt the need to reply...........We have been planning to go to the Dominican republic for sometime now but didn't want to see it through the eyes of a tour operator, rather we wanted to see what the country was really like. We were originally to fly to Puerto Plata but for various reasons are now flying to La Romana. We've booked two hotels, one in the North and one in the South, the first week is to be spent in the North so as you can gather our accommodation arrangements needed to be changed, consequently I contacted the proprieter of our hotel; Las Hollandeses, the hotel in which we were to begin our holiday, and informed him that we may be a day or so late! His response was to organise travel to Santo Domingo and to book us into a hotel there for the night, you guessed it: The Hotel Esmerelda. I've not met the man yet but Jos has already been a great help to us, we both look forward to meeting him and Ann.
So...we haven't yet arrived, but now having read your story, despite recent events, I'm looking forward to it even more. MC

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Though we only spent two nights at Los Hollandaises last December, it definitely left a lasting impression. I don't think you could find better hosts than Jos and Ans. Always there when you needed them but never "in your hair". The only word that comes to mind when I think of their place is "comfortable". Even the other guests were like that. Always willing to stop and chat over a beer on one's porch but never intrusive.

Like I said, we only stayed two days, but Jos and Ans made us feel just as important and welcome as guests who were staying for three months.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Negro and Livio, their two dogs. Negro (the biggest rotweiller I have ever seen) was my personal favourite. BIG BABY. I loved seeing him sprawled out sleeping and when you rubbed his tummy he groaned in ecstasy. Livio was a little more standoffish. Much more of the watch dog.

I had been to the peninsula before, but the ride over the mountain from Sanchez to Las Terrenas........well, I felt like I was right at home.

Rose